MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Internet speed/bandwidth caps Juicebox General Discussion 11 05-11-2009 09:38 PM
Internet bandwidth limit kenneth526 Residence & Housing 34 03-08-2009 10:53 PM
MacInsiders Peaking Bandwidth Chad MacInsiders Announcements 5 08-27-2008 10:37 PM

How is bandwidth calculated?

Old 09-14-2009 at 08:21 AM   #16
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

Switch to Tekksavvy, their cap is 250, or if you pay a little more(40 bucks in total) you get unlimited:
http://www.teksavvy.com/en/resdsl.asp?ID=7&mID=1

Its time versus money here, so with a bit of work, you'll save some money. Your call I guess.

Last edited by adrian : 09-14-2009 at 08:25 AM.

lawleypop says thanks to adrian for this post.
Old 09-14-2009 at 08:45 AM   #17
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsahota View Post
If your landlord is on Cogeco, you could suggest to him / her that they switch to the business package from Cogeco. The business starter package is only +$15 / month more and doubles the monthly data transfer limit to 120 GB. The SOHO standard package is +$50 / month and gets you 200 GB of data transfer per month plus and increase in download/upload speed as well.

If you do rack up big internet bills don't be surprised if your landlord asks that you and your roommates split up the overuse charge. Typically landlords would argue that the over data transfer charge is not part of normal use, etc etc.

The Cogeco business packages are here:

http://www.cogeco.ca/cable/on/en/bus.../forfaits.html
It probably depends on the terms of your lease.

If it says internet use is included and doesn't stipulate any terms or conditions for that then they would have a case that they are allowed to use as much bandwidth as they want and its included in their rent as per their lease. If there were terms and conditions in the lease about that type of thing the landlord might be able to ask them to pay overage fees.
Old 09-14-2009 at 09:37 AM   #18
Furgs

Liked: 4 Times

I used to live with 8 people and had the 60 GB limit and we'd always reach it. Cogeco would typically just shut it down and you press a link acknowledging that you've reached it and you get your internet back in 24 hours.

At the moment I'm with 6 people and we're with Cogeco again but we went for the "Pro" package, a lot faster than the 60 GB one and we get 125 GB a month. A little more expensive though but not much choice when you're in hamilton, either you get Cogeco or the other one's with more bandwidth but sacrifice speed and share the slower speed among 6 people. To the best of my knowledge, we've gone over our limit a few times already, around 6 GB and one month 17 GB and Cogeco hasn't charged us, kinda weird but I'm not complaining.

I know Rogers doesn't provide in hamilton, I think Bell does however I'm not sure if it's any better or worse.

lawleypop says thanks to Furgs for this post.
Old 09-14-2009 at 09:49 AM   #19
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

When you guys say Teksavvy is slower, do you mean just downloading speeds or the internet in general?

We're all plugged into the wall, and some of my friends were on wireless... by the way they were talking, it sounded like their wireless was faster than our plugging into the wall. (just in general, not necessarily download speeds).

I dunno, our internet seems kinda slow to begin with. o_O

If I went with teksavvy, I/we would get the DSL High Speed Internet with unlimited bandwidth for 39.95/month (which is exactly what we're paying now for 60 gigs/month). I mean, how slow can DSL be? o_O

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 09-14-2009 at 09:52 AM   #20
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Also, what about leaving MSN on overnight? Would that add up after a month? Anyone know/guesstimate a general number for it?

Old 09-14-2009 at 09:54 AM   #21
Furgs

Cogeco $39.95
Limit 60 GB
Speed 14 Mbps

Tekksavvy $39.95
Unlimited GB
Speed 5 Mbps

Cogeco Pro $76.95
Limit 125 GB
Speed 16 Mbps

Last edited by Furgs : 09-14-2009 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-14-2009 at 09:56 AM   #22
Furgs

I'd say Msn is pretty negligible to be honest. If you're not sending anything or using audio/video chat not much bandwidth is being taken there. Using text is pretty insignificant so you're safe with that.

lawleypop says thanks to Furgs for this post.
Old 09-14-2009 at 10:03 AM   #23
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furgs View Post
Cogeco $39.95
Limit 60 GB
Speed 14 Mbps

Tekksavvy $39.95
Unlimited GB
Speed 5 Mbps

Cogeco Pro $76.95
Limit 125 GB
Speed 16 Mbps
Right, but are those download speeds only? Or is that actually gonna be the difference between just the general internet speed (like loading a page, or streaming a youtube vid).

Cuz I mean... if that's 5megs/second downloads, that's still really fast (considering I had dial up back at home in the summer). >_<

Old 09-14-2009 at 10:20 AM   #24
Furgs

There would be a difference when downloading a video or streaming something for sure since 14 Mbps and 5 Mbps is a pretty big difference. Loading pages might not be too bad, might have to wait a bit longer.

The speed really isn't that big of an issue I would say but considering you have 6 people that you're living with, then that might make things a little....slower. Since having the dial all to yourself at home and having 6 people use it might make a difference.
Old 09-14-2009 at 10:35 AM   #25
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

you can use a software like ISP Monitor to check your bandwidth usage
Old 09-14-2009 at 10:53 AM   #26
syaseen
Elite Member

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Right, but are those download speeds only? Or is that actually gonna be the difference between just the general internet speed (like loading a page, or streaming a youtube vid).

Cuz I mean... if that's 5megs/second downloads, that's still really fast (considering I had dial up back at home in the summer). >_<
You won't noice a difference in everyday use but downloading movies will take a bit longer. Since you all download alot it's worth getting slower speed to get unlimted downloading.
Old 09-14-2009 at 12:05 PM   #27
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post

I went from Cogeco to my parents 5 Mbps DSL for a few months, and it was a noticible difference. I gave up watching my youtube subscriptions, stopped playing most games, and generally did nothing other than surf forums, use facebook, and IM people because the loading times made my want to put my foot through my tower. But comparing it to dial up, you'd probably be in heaven
Old 09-14-2009 at 01:09 PM   #28
plutoz

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furgs View Post
Cogeco $39.95
Limit 60 GB
Speed 14 Mbps
Don't you have to have some other Cogeco services (Digital Home Phone or Cable TV) in order to get that rate?

I was paying almost $50 a month for Cogeco without TV/Phone, dropped it for Teksavvy. The speed was nice but not worth the hassles of bandwidth restrictions.
Old 09-14-2009 at 01:17 PM   #29
gregster

Liked: 0 Times

Cogeco is now charging for overages and it looks like Teksavvy will no longer be able to provide more than 60GB without huge charges due to changes at Bell's end (they piggyback off Bell's infrastructure in a way). So the party's almost over...
Old 09-14-2009 at 01:57 PM   #30
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
I went from Cogeco to my parents 5 Mbps DSL for a few months, and it was a noticible difference. I gave up watching my youtube subscriptions, stopped playing most games, and generally did nothing other than surf forums, use facebook, and IM people because the loading times made my want to put my foot through my tower. But comparing it to dial up, you'd probably be in heaven
I really don't think it could be that slow. If I could load youtube videos on my almost dial up, then I think they would load just fine on high speed dsl o_O