MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Guy Friends/Girl Friends lizziepizzie Dating & Relationships 101 10-18-2010 09:01 PM
Making friends? anon491 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 78 09-05-2010 09:05 PM
Should I get the Macpass or not? is welcome week really fun? make lots of friends?? memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 08-25-2010 11:44 PM
You Have 0 Friends syan9184 Movies & Television 18 04-17-2010 08:51 PM

I barely know anyone at Mac... what if I make no friends? :(

Old 08-17-2008 at 01:42 PM   #1
dobbz123

Liked: 1 Time

I barely know anyone at Mac... what if I make no friends? :(
I mean... I know people who are going to Mac, but none of my close friends are going with me. A lot of people are going with their friends. This makes me sad. :(
Old 08-17-2008 at 02:04 PM   #2
hmac

Liked: 0 Times

don't be sad- i know absolutely no-one at mac. there's going to be a lot of people in the same boat.

dobbz123 says thanks to hmac for this post.
Old 08-17-2008 at 02:35 PM   #3
mitch
Elite Member

Liked: 75 Times

I was in the same boat as you first year. People are very nice there, just introduce yourself and I'm sure you'll make some friends in no time! I ended up finding 1 person who was in the same highschool as me, and 1 who went to the same elementary school. The people that I met in first year in my rez remain some of my closest friends to date.

dobbz123 says thanks to mitch for this post.
Old 08-17-2008 at 03:09 PM   #4
furrys

Don't sweat it, most people will be in the same boat. My closest friends are people who met in first year, I hardly ever talk to/see anyone from highschool anymore. Just put yourself out there as best you can the first couple of weeks.

dobbz123 says thanks to furrys for this post.
Old 08-17-2008 at 03:13 PM   #5
dobbz123

But how can I put myself out there? :|
Old 08-17-2008 at 03:21 PM   #6
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

I had only one girl from my highschool come to mac and I didn't like her anyways. I'm sure I'm not the only one who came here with no one else either..

Quote:
But how can I put myself out there? :|
WELCOME WEEK... everyone else is wanting to meet new people during welcome week. If you're in residence, make the extra effort to get to know your floor/building. If you're off campus, GO TO THE EVENTS. Trust me, you will have no trouble meeting people

dobbz123 says thanks to temara.brown for this post.
Old 08-17-2008 at 03:41 PM   #7
dobbz123

But how does one go about making the extra effort to get to know their floor/building? :|
Old 08-17-2008 at 04:38 PM   #8
furrys

-Don't stay locked up in your room.-Introduce yourself to everyone you meet on your floor. Try and get to know people. This is going to be new for everyone, not just you.-Go to all the welcome week events and repeat the above. -First couple days of class repeat the above.-Join a club that interests you or get involved with something, i.e. intramurals, irc, etc.-Don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone/try new things. Basically, the best advice I can give you is to not stress out about it too much, but keep those things in mind. If you stay locked up in your room, odds are you aren't going to meet anyone. Hang out in your common room, introduce yourself to your neighbours, etc etc.

edit: things i don't understand: 1) why macinsiders is blocked at work and 2) why posting through a proxy service jumbles up the formatting of my posts... sorry for the mess of a paragraph.

dobbz123 says thanks to furrys for this post.
Old 08-17-2008 at 05:19 PM   #9
homeskillet

Liked: 11 Times

plus just remember when u put yourself out there to talk to someone they're probably just glad someones getting to know them, just as you would be happy with someone making the effort with you!

p.s. which building are you in?

dobbz123 says thanks to homeskillet for this post.
Old 08-17-2008 at 10:46 PM   #10
Reno V

Liked: 38 Times

I'll be your friend man.

Dude, you gotta go and meet people. Walk up, and say "Hi I'm (insert name)". Or say "Hi, I'm sad, I need a kiss". People will NOT bite your head off, contrary to popular belief.

The first week of school most people are just as scared and lonely as you and want to make friends. It is incredibly easy to make long lasting relationships during this time.

I know you have it in you. You've got at least 18 years worth of life experiences and knowledge that you can refer from. Just talk about that. You cant possibly say that you don't know anything that can offer value to other people? Bullsh*t. You got a whole lot more in you too that you don't even know about yet. Do not fear the future. Instead throw yourself forward into it, because when you do, you will realize you actually DO have the faculties to take care of any situation you face. Just don't act surprised when you start surprising yourself.

BlakeM, dobbz123, Leraison, lorend all say thanks to Reno V for this post.

ThagsanaR likes this.
Old 08-17-2008 at 11:08 PM   #11
Alvand

Liked: 39 Times

After taking part of Horizons this weekend I've realized how easy it is to get to know people who are going to Mac next year, especially since you already have a huge thing in common- you're going to the same university as eachother! This is a huge part of your life, and to know that someone else is going through it in the same position as you makes it easier to go up to a stranger and start talking to them. The first few questions come natural, and they break the ice easier than a chisel. (yeah... I said it.) Basically, you will end up asking these three questions to the people you meet on campus on the way to class, in your res floor, in line to get food, or any other possible situation:

- What faculty are you in?
- What res are you in?
- What city are you coming from?

After you ask these questions, it opens the door to many more and also helps find similiarities in which you can relate to.

It's not hard to get to know people, you just have to have the initial initiative to get yourself out there. Everyone wants to meet other people as well, so they will be glad that you came up to them and started a conversation.

dobbz123 says thanks to Alvand for this post.
Old 08-18-2008 at 03:49 PM   #12
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

"Hi Im sad and I need a kiss" LMFAO!!! HAHAAH

And to the OP, you are not alone, I only know one person from high school and I barely know him but see this is the time where you can shine. This is the time where you can make a transition and take chances, and make new, Better friends!

I agree with all the posts on this thread, YOU must extend your hand first. Dont wait for things to happen. YOU must take action!

dobbz123 says thanks to kenvin100 for this post.
Old 08-18-2008 at 04:02 PM   #13
Leraison

Hey,

Believe in yourself. You are what you believe yourself to be. So if you truly believe that your going to have a good time and things are going to work it, it'll happen. And if you believe that uni life is going to suck and you'll always be alone, that will happen. Let your amazing personality and confidence shine and you shall be fine. =)

dobbz123 says thanks to Leraison for this post.
Old 08-18-2008 at 04:56 PM   #14
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Some great responses guys!

This thread just inspired me to write an article on 10 Ways To Meet New People and Get Involved

Read it here: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?p=3501 1

Last edited by lorend : 08-18-2008 at 05:50 PM.

dobbz123 says thanks to Chad for this post.
Old 08-18-2008 at 06:32 PM   #15
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Like many others, I came to Mac only knowing one other person in first year, though a bunch of people from my high school came the previous year (and most of whom I did not like too much).

I ended up fine...in fact, I'm still friends with a whole bunch of people I met my first day at Mac, even though some now live half-way across the country now.

All you have to do is what others have told you:
- go out to welcome week events
- engage in small-talk
- be friendly
- talk to people on you floor (if you're in res)

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

dobbz123 says thanks to lorend for this post.