MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Having difficulty making friends ShesTheMan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 25 09-24-2010 06:14 PM
Making friends? anon491 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 78 09-05-2010 09:05 PM
You Have 0 Friends syan9184 Movies & Television 18 04-17-2010 08:51 PM
Why Can't We Be Friends, Westdale? DannyV General Discussion 9 10-09-2008 01:30 PM
I barely know anyone at Mac... what if I make no friends? :( dobbz123 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 28 08-22-2008 07:20 PM

Guy Friends/Girl Friends

Old 09-19-2010 at 07:57 PM   #1
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Guy Friends/Girl Friends
I was wondering; when a guy/girl get involved in a relationship, do you think this means that they have to stop hanging out with their friends who are of opposite sex? I have friends who told their significant other that they won't stay with them if they continue their friendships with friends of the same gender as their significant other. Thoughts?
Old 09-19-2010 at 07:58 PM   #2
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 468 Times

No absolutely not, it's very childish to do that, and it also shows a lack of trust.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 09-19-2010 at 08:05 PM   #3
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Jealous bitches be jealous.

Seriously, grow up (to anyone who acts like this).

Although, I find it funny to see how insecure most people truly are.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Last edited by lawleypop : 09-19-2010 at 08:07 PM.

Phil likes this.
Old 09-19-2010 at 08:05 PM   #4
doug

Liked: 82 Times

They have to stop being friends.

They also have to stop thinking about the opposite sex and must wear horse blinders whenever they walk outside.

But seriously, agreed with the above, it's childish.
Old 09-19-2010 at 08:08 PM   #5
AlienSummer

Liked: 55 Times

So high school.

I'd be so mad if someone I was dating said that. I'd dump them.
Old 09-19-2010 at 08:09 PM   #6
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Hanging around members that are of the opposite sex of your significant other constitutes as cheating just like hanging out with gay people makes you gay.

Don't you guys know anything?

doug likes this.
Old 09-19-2010 at 08:10 PM   #7
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
Hanging around members that are of the opposite sex of your significant other constitutes as cheating just like hanging out with gay people makes you gay.

Don't you guys know anything?
Don't you know anything? Being gay is a choice.

Old 09-19-2010 at 08:11 PM   #8
doug

Liked: 82 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
just like hanging out with gay people makes you gay.
Wiser words were never spoken.
Old 09-19-2010 at 08:16 PM   #9
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Don't you know anything? Being gay is a choice.
Yeah, and you're choosing to be gay by hanging out with them.

Duh.

Old 09-19-2010
Juve
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 09-19-2010 at 08:34 PM   #10
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Um you guys are obviously being sarcastic... right? What about one-on-one relationships with friends. I'm not really friends with groups of people, although all my friends know each other and would be friendly towards each other if they saw each other. But like I said, I'm more friends one-on-one with people, so I see guys individually and one guy I see a lot and we got out for dinner with each other like once a week. Would that have to stop? n And you know, as we're friends, we talk about everything with each other (all my guy friends). I find its really interesting becasue they have a totally different perspective than that of my gfs.
Old 09-19-2010 at 08:38 PM   #11
sweetrachel

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
Um you guys are obviously being sarcastic... right? What about one-on-one relationships with friends. I'm not really friends with groups of people, although all my friends know each other and would be friendly towards each other if they saw each other. But like I said, I'm more friends one-on-one with people, so I see guys individually and one guy I see a lot and we got out for dinner with each other like once a week. Would that have to stop? n And you know, as we're friends, we talk about everything with each other (all my guy friends). I find its really interesting becasue they have a totally different perspective than that of my gfs.
Of course they're being sarcastic.
Old 09-19-2010 at 08:45 PM   #12
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Are you asking us because you're in a relationship? Because if that's the case, the obvious answer that everyone will give you is: "GO ASK THE PERSON YOU'RE DATING."

Should it have to stop? No. But most people are retarded and become overcome with jealousy and even if they say "no it's alright, do what you want, I know nothing is going on," it'll be easier in the long run for you to just stop hanging out with people that have penises.

Old 09-19-2010 at 08:48 PM   #13
AlienSummer

Liked: 55 Times

Quote:

I think it really depends on what you're willing to give up for your relationship. There are no rules, and nothing says that you have to automatically stop talking to all friends of the opposite sex as soon as you start dating. If you want to continue having dinner with your guy friend, but your boyfriend is uncomfortable with it, you have to decide what you're going to do and what would make you most happy. No one on a forum board can really make that decision for you.

For example, right now, I'd say that I would still go out for dinner with that guy friend if I'd be unhappy not going out for dinner with him. If it was something that really meant THAT MUCH to me, I'd still do it. Maybe I'd see if I could come up with a compromise with my boyfriend so that he wouldn't be upset, but maybe I wouldn't. There's somethings that I couldn't compromise on in order to be with someone, and somethings that I've realized I can compromise on when the situation has presented itself (but never thought I'd be able to before). However, for me, if someone told me who I could and couldn't talk to, that would just be way too controlling for me.

Just for curiosities sake, is this just a hypothetical question you're putting out there? Or are you dating/interested in someone who has told you that this is their rule?
Old 09-19-2010 at 09:00 PM   #14
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienSummer View Post
I think it really depends on what you're willing to give up for your relationship. There are no rules, and nothing says that you have to automatically stop talking to all friends of the opposite sex as soon as you start dating. If you want to continue having dinner with your guy friend, but your boyfriend is uncomfortable with it, you have to decide what you're going to do and what would make you most happy. No one on a forum board can really make that decision for you.

For example, right now, I'd say that I would still go out for dinner with that guy friend if I'd be unhappy not going out for dinner with him. If it was something that really meant THAT MUCH to me, I'd still do it. Maybe I'd see if I could come up with a compromise with my boyfriend so that he wouldn't be upset, but maybe I wouldn't. There's somethings that I couldn't compromise on in order to be with someone, and somethings that I've realized I can compromise on when the situation has presented itself (but never thought I'd be able to before). However, for me, if someone told me who I could and couldn't talk to, that would just be way too controlling for me.

Just for curiosities sake, is this just a hypothetical question you're putting out there? Or are you dating/interested in someone who has told you that this is their rule?
Hypothetical. A lot of my friend's have been told this by who they were dating. They say you shouldn't "dump" your friends for a guy, and I totally agree. But I guess I have to reverse the situation in my mind; I don't know if I'd want my guy hanging out with a girl by himself, let alone taking her to dinner. I have a guy friend who is friends with all his ex hfs, friends to the point that he still go out with them. His gf now seems to be okay with this, but I don't think I'd be.