MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Having difficulty making friends ShesTheMan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 25 09-24-2010 06:14 PM
Making friends? anon491 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 78 09-05-2010 09:05 PM
You Have 0 Friends syan9184 Movies & Television 18 04-17-2010 08:51 PM
Why Can't We Be Friends, Westdale? DannyV General Discussion 9 10-09-2008 01:30 PM
I barely know anyone at Mac... what if I make no friends? :( dobbz123 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 28 08-22-2008 07:20 PM

Guy Friends/Girl Friends

Old 09-19-2010 at 09:05 PM   #16
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Shouldn't opposite sex friendships be something your partner is aware of before you start dating? It's not like they got to know you in this little bubble world that somehow popped after he/she asked you out. they should know/have some idea of how the friends you have, or the types of friendships you gravitate towards.
Old 09-19-2010 at 09:06 PM   #17
bloodywarz
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 74 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
I was wondering; when a guy/girl get involved in a relationship, do you think this means that they have to stop hanging out with their friends who are of opposite sex? I have friends who told their significant other that they won't stay with them if they continue their friendships with friends of the same gender as their significant other. Thoughts?
nope that is totally wrong. i could never leave my friends for someone im dating..for obvious reasons: you knew your friends for years and they are always with you through thick and thin.
you have all the right to hang out with your friends. just you should make sure your not too flirty with your oppsite sex friends cause that makes your boyfriend/girlfriend a lil nervous and thats understandable
Old 09-19-2010 at 09:25 PM   #18
mudathto

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblomfield View Post
They have to stop being friends.

They also have to stop thinking about the opposite sex and must wear horse blinders whenever they walk outside.

But seriously, agreed with the above, it's childish.
Haters gonna' hate.
Old 09-19-2010 at 09:28 PM   #19
Souldier
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 258 Times

Let's face it, a lot of the reason a guy is friends with a girl is for the slight chance, one day, under the right circumstances, with the right amount of alcohol present, he has the opportunity to get in her pants. It's definitely something to be wary of.
Old 09-19-2010 at 09:29 PM   #20
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

If any chick I dated asked me to stop hanging out with any friends, that would be the end of the relationship. It shouldnt matter whether or not they have an innie or an outie. The fact is, Im dating her, not the friend, so I've made my choice on who I want to be with. If that's not enough for her, there's the door.

temptingf8 likes this.
Old 09-19-2010 at 09:38 PM   #21
doug

Liked: 82 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudathto View Post
Haters gonna' hate.
True say.

By the way, are you perchance the person that stole my bike?

And are you black?
Old 09-19-2010 at 09:45 PM   #22
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
If any chick I dated asked me to stop hanging out with any friends, that would be the end of the relationship. It shouldnt matter whether or not they have an innie or an outie. The fact is, Im dating her, not the friend, so I've made my choice on who I want to be with. If that's not enough for her, there's the door.
That's a really good point, that you chode to be with HER and not a girl friend of yours. I never thought about it that way. About people knowing who your friends are before they start a relationship, what about people who get together who aren't really friends first?
Old 09-19-2010 at 09:48 PM   #23
reeves
Jedi IRL

Quote:
About people knowing who your friends are before they start a relationship, what about people who get together who aren't really friends first?
You dont just go from 0 to exclusive relationship. You get to know the person first. If not, its your own damn fault.
Old 09-19-2010 at 09:55 PM   #24
bloodywarz
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
That's a really good point, that you chode to be with HER and not a girl friend of yours. I never thought about it that way. About people knowing who your friends are before they start a relationship, what about people who get together who aren't really friends first?
those relationships often dont tend to last. you should always get to know the person, hang out with them, meet their friends and just make sure they are who they say are and not just pretending to be some really nice guy. Well there are times those relationshipz work and in those situations you should try to get the guy your dating to introduce you to his friends and see from there
Old 09-19-2010 at 11:06 PM   #25
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Best. Typo. Evar.

lizziepizzie says thanks to Alchemist11 for this post.

Old 09-19-2010 at 11:18 PM   #26
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

One of my best friends is a girl. A lot of my girlfriends' best friends are dudes.

It's a two way street.
Old 09-20-2010 at 12:06 AM   #27
reeves
Jedi IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptingf8 View Post
It's a two way street.
It really is. One of the people I talk to most, and consider one of my closest friends, is my ex. If a girl I was dating asked/told me to stop talking to her, I wouldn't be OK with that. It's not fair of anyone to ask the other person to change their friends. Friends were there first, and realistically will be there after, given the chances of a relationship actually lasting forever.
Old 09-20-2010 at 01:07 AM   #28
mudathto

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblomfield View Post
True say.

By the way, are you perchance the person that stole my bike?

And are you black?
Nah, but I also happen to be missing both my Yoshi and my dinner...
Old 09-20-2010 at 07:47 AM   #29
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

What do you guys think of dating your friend's ex? I mean, you're always supposed to put your friends before any guy. But then there's a different situation if you think it would really work with that guy, and if maybe your relationship with your friend isn;t all that important to you. I guess you have to ask your friend's permission first. But then, that's only like their "blessing." If your friend says no, but you really want to date their ex, I guess you just have to go ahead without their approval. But that could get really complicated too, becasue your new bf/gf is going to know all about your friend and how they're going to feel...

But I do think one point is stupid; one of my friends says I can't go out with any guy she has ever had a crush on. Even in hs. Which is so stupid, its not like she ever had a thing with him and come on, it was HIGH SCHOOL. We're so past that.
Old 09-20-2010 at 08:26 AM   #30
bloodywarz
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
What do you guys think of dating your friend's ex? I mean, you're always supposed to put your friends before any guy. But then there's a different situation if you think it would really work with that guy, and if maybe your relationship with your friend isn;t all that important to you. I guess you have to ask your friend's permission first. But then, that's only like their "blessing." If your friend says no, but you really want to date their ex, I guess you just have to go ahead without their approval. But that could get really complicated too, becasue your new bf/gf is going to know all about your friend and how they're going to feel...

But I do think one point is stupid; one of my friends says I can't go out with any guy she has ever had a crush on. Even in hs. Which is so stupid, its not like she ever had a thing with him and come on, it was HIGH SCHOOL. We're so past that.
hmm dating your friends ex can often tuirn complicated but it all comes down to who you feel you care about more... like if its a girl woh you really REALLY do like, then its really inevitable right and your hearts begging for her. on the other hand if its just sum girl who you find hot and you know she lieks you then its not really right to date her if your friend was serious about her and still likes her. but if you really do like the girl then just tell your friend and if he/she is a really good friend then they will understand, they might not be fully happy but it cant be helped. personally i try not to go out with my friend's ex girlfriends but thats only if they are my really raelly good friends.