MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Guy Friends/Girl Friends lizziepizzie Dating & Relationships 101 10-18-2010 09:01 PM
Making friends? anon491 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 78 09-05-2010 09:05 PM
Difficulty of ECON 1BB3 ragedevil67 Academics 21 06-25-2010 11:20 AM
Electrical/Biomed Difficulty TedMosby Academics 32 06-24-2010 08:56 PM
Stats 1L03 - Difficulty Jake General Discussion 3 09-13-2009 12:21 AM

Having difficulty making friends

Old 09-05-2010 at 06:18 PM   #1
ShesTheMan

Liked: 0 Times

Having difficulty making friends
Hi, I moved in on Saturday and I'm having difficulty meeting new people, and talking to them. My roommate seems to know everyone so she'll hang out with others so I'm all alone. I've got no one to go with and like all my neighbours have gotten to know each other quite well so they'll like all bond in a room and it's difficult approaching a group. I don't want to have to knock and interrupt their party. I don't even know what I should talk about with people to introduce myself or get to know them, what should I do? I really want to make this year a good one and get to meet people, it's just difficult and very intimidating.
Old 09-05-2010 at 06:24 PM   #2
Xbrzz

your thinking about it too much, be spontaneous and just approach them. you never know what kind of interesting people yo may meet. best of luck
Old 09-05-2010 at 06:25 PM   #3
nicole.h

Liked: 1 Time

I would suggest going to as many floor/building/faculty events as possible. Even if you don't meet that many people on your floor, there are tons of people at Mac to get to know.
Old 09-05-2010 at 06:30 PM   #4
ShesTheMan

But what do I talk to them about?
Old 09-05-2010 at 06:34 PM   #5
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

MacConnector (in ~14 hours 56 minutes as of now) is a great way to meet people, since a good chunk of them are feeling exactly the same way you are. It's a little fast-paced, but don't be afraid to ask for contact info if you meet someone you think might be interesting, or offer yours out.

There's really no need to be shy too. I know it's a lot easier said than done, but try to realize that it's very likely you'll never see these people again unless you want to, so don't be afraid to embarrass yourself if the situation calls for it. =p

If worst comes to worst, just find a bunch of engineers and hang out with them. Most people are more than willing to accept a girl into their group for the sake of balance, and they're (we're?) generally pretty decent people.

Also, if your roommate's nice she'll ask you to come along with her sometime. Or like, look at her with sad puppy eyes next time she leaves you alone at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShesTheMan View Post
But what do I talk to them about?
Anything. Ask them where they're from, what program they're in, why they chose Mac, what kind of movies/music they like, etc.

And since you're off-campus, look for the people in orange jumpsuits guiding a group of students. They're the SOCS reps and will always be glad to take you under their wing and introduce you to their group, but I'll let Marlowe fill you in on that. =p

Last edited by Entropy : 09-05-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-05-2010 at 06:34 PM   #6
nicole.h

Liked: 1 Time

Anything. Ask them about their program, what residence they are in. Maybe what they did this summer. Try to find a common topic that you both can relate to.
Old 09-05-2010 at 06:57 PM   #7
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 136 Times

I had kind of the same problem as you first year. It probably took me a good half a year to really get close to the people on my floor. Honestly, due in part to the closed-door policy/somewhat strict rules in residence, I found it really hard to meet people. An empty hallway with all shut doors in which only one small room had music coming from it, can make inviting yourself into that room pretty intimidating.

One of the things I've learned since first year is to take advantage of all the tools mac gives you to meet people. You shouldn't restrict your friends to people living on your floor, your rez, or your faculty. Try to come out to all the events welcome week to at least get a feel for what type of events you like. I would especially recommend clubsfest. Even if your a shy person, if you can find a club that focuses a lot on somehting your passionate about, you will find it a lot easier to talk to the people in that club.

Also, if your kind of a shy person, like I was/am, I find its sometimes easier to appraoch people, who, and I in no way mean this to be offensive at all, look just as shy as you do. There will be a lot less pressure knowing your not talking to the most popular and outgoing person on campus. Once you've got at least one friend with you, whether they are shy are not, it builds up your confidence and you should find waayyy easier to approach other people, and eventually come out of your shell a bit.

One last thing, and this may be something other reps would disagree with. But don't be constantly trying to force yourself to do something you don't enjoy. Welcome week isn't designed to make you feel unwelcomed or imtimidated, and we really do try to cater to every type of individual. In my welcome week for instance, I felt somewhat pressured to go to the concert, knowing I don't really like concerts, especially when they are screamo bands lol. Anyways, I ended up going and getting stuck in a mosh pit with a bunch of crazy (and drunk) dancing people. NOT my scene AT ALL. I would have much preferred hanging out in a more relaxed setting and making solid relationships than going to a concert were saying one word to someone is impossible.

Thats not to say dont do anything that that makes you uncomfortable. The cheering and dancing during welcome week felt a little awkward at first, but do it enough and I assure you that you will eventually get into it, and have a lot of fun with the people cheering with you.

Finally, realize welcome week is not everything. 99% of my fun university experiences happened outside of welcome week, so if for some reason you find welcome week depressing, realize that its only one week out of hundreds you will be spending at mac.

tl;dr

Don't feel like the people on your floor are the only people you can be friends with... find people with common interests...ATTEND CLUBSFEST. Try everything at least once so you know whether you like it or not. If you know for sure something is not your cup o tea, don't force yourself to do it in favour of something you know you will enjoy. If all else fails, realize a bad welcome week is not the end of the world.

Anum, joannet, sf, stevennn, TheMist like this.
Old 09-05-2010 at 07:05 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I would like to emphasize ClubFest. It's the perfect opportunity to join clubs that interest you, that way you can meet people who share the same interests.

Also, the common rooms in your building are perfect ways to invite yourself into a group without feeling like you are invading someone's room. Although, for Edwards the common rooms are on the first floor. When I lived in Edwards half of the third floor used to just stand/sit in the hallways and talked, or had out laptops out and chilled.

To start a conversation you can talk about literally anything, but I think the easiest conversation starter is just to comment or ask about recent or upcoming activities/events.
Old 09-05-2010 at 08:36 PM   #9
fresh prince

Liked: 7 Times

Hmm.. Any tips for a commuting student? :S
Old 09-05-2010 at 08:41 PM   #10
Abid.Hasan

Liked: 86 Times

post up in your common room and be a champion
Old 09-05-2010 at 08:52 PM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh prince View Post
Hmm.. Any tips for a commuting student? :S
Make sure to attend events and join clubs. Tutorials and Labs are also great times to meet other students.
Old 09-05-2010 at 09:02 PM   #12
WavesSea

Dont worry about it relax you have just be nice and outgoing and pretend your not shy and just talk to people about anything start with the simple whats your faculty ect music interest and stuff like that and ask them to hang around and go to an event that is being hosted if you can't find the guts to do this pm me and well go around and make new friends on monday = P
Old 09-05-2010
zombiejesus
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 09-06-2010 at 01:08 AM   #13
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

kaitlin what res u in. come find Ken at mckay 304 or pm me if u want to connect via cell. we can be fwends!
Old 09-06-2010 at 01:35 AM   #14
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

just go up to people
today at Les Prince
a couple of us went down all 6 floors and said hey to each and every person
it only takes one person to start it
and by the time you're at the bottom floor, you'll have a whole bunch of people behind you