MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Guy Friends/Girl Friends lizziepizzie Dating & Relationships 101 10-18-2010 09:01 PM
Making friends? anon491 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 78 09-05-2010 09:05 PM
Should I get the Macpass or not? is welcome week really fun? make lots of friends?? memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 08-25-2010 11:44 PM
You Have 0 Friends syan9184 Movies & Television 18 04-17-2010 08:51 PM

I barely know anyone at Mac... what if I make no friends? :(

Old 08-19-2008 at 11:26 AM   #16
dobbz123

Liked: 1 Time

Thanks, guys! Your replies really helped! I feel a lot better now!
Old 08-19-2008 at 01:59 PM   #17
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Some great responses guys!

This thread just inspired me to write an article on 10 Ways To Meet New People and Get Involved

Read it here: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?p=3501 1
I have been misled! There are only 8 ways in the article!
Old 08-19-2008 at 05:38 PM   #18
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

my secret to meeting people: talk to them...

the only people who truly do not make friend in ww are those who don't go to it. it's just about impossible unless you are like the world's most evil person... and even then...
Old 08-19-2008 at 05:53 PM   #19
Cubit

Liked: 2 Times

I came from a different province, so I knew 2 people from my highschool who were coming to Ontario for school, let alone Mac.

My first or second day in Res I wandered around with an enormous mug full of jelly beans and offered them to people, which sounds really random, but I met a couple of my best friends in res that way. If you are really bad with introducing yourself to people, free food is an AWESOME icebreaker.

Second best way to get to know people outside of WW is to randomly invite lots of people to go get dinner or lunch with you.

Food I tell ya, Food.

Physics & Astronomy.

------
To Maxwell:" But Sir, what use is it?"
Maxwell: "Madam, what use is a new born babe?"
------

ThagsanaR likes this.
Old 08-21-2008 at 12:51 PM   #20
amplified

Liked: 0 Times

I'm sad and I want a kiss...

*waits*
Will this actually work? Experiment time, anyone?
Old 08-21-2008 at 12:56 PM   #21
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by amplified View Post
I'm sad and I want a kiss...

*waits*
Will this actually work? Experiment time, anyone?

ta-da!
Old 08-21-2008 at 02:02 PM   #22
amplified

See! And the magic sentence works.

Aw.
I love life just a little bit more now.

But in all honesty, I mighty terrified. Not so much about making friends but more so about making a fool out of myself during that process.

*Please refer to my previous post.
Old 08-21-2008 at 02:17 PM   #23
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

pfft. making a fool out of yourself is most of the fun.

i make a fool out of myself on a regular basis. ask...around.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-21-2008 at 03:14 PM   #24
Cubit

Liked: 2 Times

Ha! sometimes making a fool of yourself helps you get friends. People get pretty sympathetic when someone falls on their ass in the mud, as long as you have a sense of humor about it.

Physics & Astronomy.

------
To Maxwell:" But Sir, what use is it?"
Maxwell: "Madam, what use is a new born babe?"
------
Old 08-21-2008 at 07:21 PM   #25
Reno V

Liked: 38 Times

There seems to be a lot of confusion with the "I'm sad" opener.

You need to be visibly smiling and happy when your doing this.

If they blow you off, you reply "But... But I'm sad! Why... Why don't you want me to be happy?" Key point... BE SMILING!

It worked for amplified, It can work for you too!

Happy Makeouts!
Old 08-21-2008 at 07:41 PM   #26
Nymeria

Just be yourself.......there' s enough people entering first year I'm sure you'll find someone you get along with. You're starting a new chapter in your life, you don't know anyone? That means you have a clean slate! Go out and have fun!
Old 08-22-2008 at 02:19 PM   #27
amplified

Hmm. Clean slate.
I like that...
Old 08-22-2008 at 05:28 PM   #28
katie_batt

Liked: 9 Times

I'm in the same boat, I only know 2 people going, and they aren't good friends or anything, its gunna be totally new for me too. You'll make friends, dont worry
Old 08-22-2008 at 07:20 PM   #29
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by amplified View Post
Hmm. Clean slate.
I like that...
On that note...I have a good friend that I met in first year at Mac. Since I had never known her before that point, I just assumed she always was the way she was (which is amazingly social). Later, I found out that this wasn't actually the case - her time in high school had basically been a living nightmare socially, and since she constantly was surrounded by the same people and reminded of the same insecurities, couldn't break out of that mold.

So, upon going off to Mac, she decided to start with a clean slate. Similar to some of you, there were only a couple other people from her high school also going to Mac, so there would be no history to get bogged down in (unless you live together, you often have to go out of your way to run into someone at a school the size of this). So she essentially got to act like the person she always wished to be, since no one would think it was odd or out of character. And it worked out great for her.

Now, I'm *not* saying you should try to be someone you're not - all I'm saying is that you're meeting an entirely new group of people, and none of them know whether or not you were the school nerd, the ultra-popular athlete, or the person who puked on stage during a school assembly in grade 9. So just be yourself. If you struggled a bit socially before, I think you'll find a much more accepting community than you ever did in high school. As I always like to say - in university, everyone's a nerd about something :p