MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is Hamilton Like? ZSimon General Discussion 23 03-11-2014 06:34 PM
New Hamilton App Will Help Students Better Explore Hamilton's Hidden Gems Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 08-27-2012 06:51 AM
Quebec Protesters Visit Hamilton: CBC Hamilton huzaifa47 Politics 18 07-31-2012 12:42 PM
What's Hamilton really like?! amitoj First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 52 07-26-2010 07:24 AM
Hamilton Goce General Discussion 25 07-08-2009 04:02 PM

Beaches in Hamilton

Old 07-20-2015 at 12:11 AM   #1
miguel_C

Liked: 1 Time

Beaches in Hamilton
So I really love to swim in open water but have heard some pretty bad things about the Hamilton water ways. Can any one tell me their experiences at the Hamilton "beaches" or any good swimming spots that arent just occupied by families? Thanks!
Old 07-20-2015 at 11:09 AM   #2
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

If you want to get all diseases known to man, then Ontario beaches (no pun intended) are just fine. Normally people use pools.
Old 07-20-2015 at 05:18 PM   #3
Theashe

Liked: 29 Times

Hope you have a car. This is about the closest water I've seen near Hamilton with a beach that isn't Lake Ontario.

That shit depresses me just as much as you - I grew up in Muskoka, and any one of ten beaches were only fifteen minutes away most of the time.
Old 07-20-2015 at 07:14 PM   #4
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Funny enough, this topic came up on the radio today, from a Toronto station.

That Lake Ontario is polluted, is a misconception from decades passed. Today, Lake Ontario is much cleaner. Granted, certain areas of Hamilton (and ironically, some of the places that look most appealing to swim, like Bayfront Park) have poor water currents, leaving the water quality suffering due to eutrophication. This is due to the shape of the waterfront however.

ODDLY enough, the same radio station host went on to cite places like cottage country having much poorer water quality. While they're not scientists, I can get behind it because generally cottage country lakes have less flow than the open body of Lake Ontario, and less water in general, and when you add regular boating activities and the outflow of all the lake's occupants, it can get pretty bad.

But don't my word for it. https://www.theswimguide.org/#43.185...33259375001/12

Ish001, starfish, VitaSoy like this.
Old 07-20-2015 at 07:21 PM   #5
Theashe

Liked: 29 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
Great website. I'm bookmarking that to find beaches when I do road trips.