MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is Armstrong a good teacher? thisisje First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 08-20-2010 06:17 PM
anyone had Professor TBA? is he a hard teacher? tiffanytian First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 19 08-20-2010 02:05 PM
mmedia 1A03 teacher? kuruczpa Academics 2 07-23-2010 12:05 PM
Does it matter if I have a different teacher for tutorials? JayT First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 06-28-2010 07:37 PM
Math Teacher Fa11enAnge1 General Discussion 7 08-16-2009 04:50 PM

becoming a teacher?

Old 06-10-2008 at 12:47 PM   #1
sarahsc

Liked: 0 Times

becoming a teacher?
Hi!
I'm currently registered for social sciences in the fall but I have recently decided I would like to become an elementary school teacher. Is there any way I can switch to a "teachable" major? Or can I graduate with a degree in social sciences and go to teachers college? Or am I in trouble?!

Also, to teach elementary students, do I need one teachable or two?
Old 06-10-2008 at 01:17 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

You need to start doing research for teacher's college...as each school is different as well as for each level of teaching. elementary vs seconday.

Some teachables:
- Geography
- English
- History
- Math
- Sciences
- French

Some secondary teachables (can't be used as a main teachable)
- Anthro
- Psych
- Religion
- Sociology
- Classics

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-10-2008 at 01:17 PM   #3
Sarah13

Liked: 11 Times

Depending on which specific grade levels you want to teach, you may not need a "teachable" at all. For example, for most primary-junior programs (K-6), it is preferable for you to have a range of courses in different disciplines, since you will be responsible for teaching ALL subjects (at least in most schools). Only when you get to the intermediate-senior divisions do you need to have "teachables" - usually two, I believe. I've linked the Trent University School of Education admission requirements here.
Old 06-10-2008 at 01:17 PM   #4
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times

As far as I know, you can get a social science degree and then go to teacher's college. Thats what most (if not all) of my high school/elementary school teachers did.
Old 06-10-2008 at 01:18 PM   #5
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

There is an article on the whole Teacher's College process in the works by someone who will be going to teacher's college in the fall.

So keep your eye out for that, and it will answer a lot of your questions

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-10-2008 at 11:28 PM   #6
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

I'm actually just finishing my first year as a high school teacher, so I can weigh in on this a bit. When it comes to teachable subjects, in general, it's like this: if you want to teach high school, you'll want to specialize in 2 subject areas (that are considered "teachables" by the Ministry of Education). If you want to teach elementary school, you *want* to be a generalist - that is, you want to have courses spread out over a wide range of subjects. That's because, as Sarah mentioned, elementary school teachers are responsible for teaching a wide range of subjects.

First off, let's get the technical names for the teaching divisions out of the way:
-Primary/Junior (P/J) = Grades K-6
-Junior/Intermediate (J/I) = Grades 4-10
-Intermediate/Senior (I/S) = Grades 7-12

As a practical matter, if you get qualified in the P/J or J/I division, you'll be teaching in an elementary/middle school (despite J/I technically going to grade 10, teachers with this qualification virtually never start in high school). Getting I/S typically means you'll be teaching in high school (despite, again, technically going down to grade 7 - although getting job offers in the senior elementary panel with an I/S qualification is possible, especially if you're male).

Admission requirements get a LOT more specific than what I mentioned earlier, and vary somewhat from school to school. I went to Western for teacher's college, for example, and for their I/S division, the entry requirements were typical: 5 full courses in your 1st teachable, and 3 full courses in your 2nd (where a "full course" is defined as one that lasts a full year - Mac doesn't have many of those, so the equivalent would be 10 3-unit courses for your 1st, and 6 3-unit courses for your 2nd...confused yet? :p) If you wanted J/I, then you'd only need one teachable, with 4 full courses in that subject, as well as some other various subjects as well. And if you wanted P/J, you'd need a smattering of courses from many subject areas.

A good starting point for Western is this page, which breaks it down by division: http://www.edu.uwo.ca/preservice/interested.html
But again, all the schools are a little different.

As for whether or not SocSci will prepare you adequately for teacher's college, I think that if you're heading towards teaching in elementary schools, then it's pretty much the ideal program. It'll allow you to get the diverse range of courses that are needed to get into P/J or J/I programs most easily. If you have a change of heart and decide you want to try for high schools, then it'd also allow the needed specialization (in subjects like history, geography, etc.).

Now...I'm somewhat reluctant to mention this, because I truly don't want to sound discouraging, but there's something that you have to consider...the job market for teachers at the moment is absolutely dismal. It is very, very difficult to get a permanent job nowadays because the big wave of baby boomer retirements has passed, and there are a lot of young teachers that came into the profession over the past 5 years or so who took those job openings. Even so, the Ontario teacher's colleges (and the border schools in NY and Michigan) keep cranking out more and more teachers without much regard to how many jobs are actually available for them when they graduate. I still don't have a permanent contract position - I've been given what are called LTO assignments, which stands for Long-Term Occasional; that means that I fill in for teachers on long-term absences (like maternity leaves) at various schools. I know others who have been doing similar placements for the past 3 years, with no end in sight. It's real teaching (as opposed to supply teaching, which is more like babysitting...) but it's unpredictable, and not necessarily steady work. I've been lucky to have been on 2 almost semester-long LTOs this year (with supply work in between), but other people I know have either barely worked, or didn't get on the supply list at all. If you persevere, and "pay your dues", so to speak, then eventually you'll be rewarded with a job; alternately, you could get very lucky and get a permanent contract right away, but it's rare. It also increases your chances if your teachables are in a more "in-demand" subject (such as elementary French), or you're willing to move to a more underserved area (which, sadly, excludes pretty much all of Southern Ontario).

I don't say that to disillusion you - if you know you want to be a teacher, you'll follow your heart, and eventually it'll pay off. Perhaps part of me put that up there to dissuade people who may be reading this who think teaching's "easy money" and they're guaranteed work - you're not, and trust me, you'll never have worked harder in your life when you're first starting out. You have a long time at Mac ahead of you, and you may well find something else you absolutely love in the next 4 years and change course on your future plans, which is just fine. If you know you want to teach, though, kudos to you, and just make sure you educate yourself on both the mechanics of getting into teacher's college and what to expect after you graduate. Demographics can certainly shift in 5 years' time, so who knows, your particular subject or area may be a hot commodity at that particular instant.

In any case, good luck with it, and if you have any other specific questions, I'd be happy to help!
Old 06-11-2008 at 12:29 AM   #7
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Great response Cippi! I knew your experience as a highschool teacher would come in handy
Old 06-12-2008 at 10:15 AM   #8
carrka

Liked: 14 Times

Hi...

I am entering in my second year at mac and I'm doing a combined honours in History and Poli Sci. I plan on going to law school, however if something happens for whatever reason I will fall back on teaching in which case i need a minor in a teachable because Poli Sci is not a teachable.

I want to teach high school if I become a teacher. If I minor in a course does that still count as a teachable. (my plan is religion)

Any suggestions?
Old 06-12-2008 at 10:25 AM   #9
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

For highschool, I think there are a specific number of courses you need to take in order for it to be a teachable. It might also depend on which university you want to apply for teachers college. Check this site out !

http://www.ouac.on.ca/teas/pdf/b_teas_b.pdf

Also, i think around sept or oct there is usually professional school fairs in the student center. There will be lots of representatives from different schools to ask questions. I remember at the fair there were law schools, med school, dentistry, teacher college. So make sure this year think of questions and ask them when you go! I'll try and keep an eye out for the date and post it as an annoucement or something so everyone knows about it. if you want, look on career servies calendar when school starts.
Old 06-12-2008 at 03:08 PM   #10
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

Yep, it's all about the number of courses you get in a particular subject, whether it's called a "minor" or not. As I mentioned earlier, the majority of schools want 3 full courses (so 6 3-unit courses at Mac) in your second teachable subject. I didn't minor in chemistry, for example, but I had taken enough chemistry courses for it to be my second teachable.

Also, good call on the OUAC/TEAS site Eva, I forgot about that. That PDF you linked is essentially your best friend when applying, since it compiles the entrance requirements for all the Ontario schools in one document. That's the 2008 version (for applicants who would be attending this fall), so watch out for the 2009 version which should be coming out in the next couple of months. I would imagine that there wouldn't be very many dramatic changes, though.