MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Taking courses after graduating? Mr.Prodigy Academics 3 06-05-2010 06:49 PM
Graduating from a combined program Goce Academics 1 05-13-2010 09:46 AM
am i graduating??? macculkin Academics 9 02-07-2010 08:32 PM
Life Science Graduating Requirements jimimusic First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 07-09-2009 06:56 PM
Attention Those Graduating in Spring Convocation lorend MacInsiders Announcements 2 03-10-2009 07:10 AM

Becoming a Welcome Week Rep: Reflection of a Graduating Student

Old 02-06-2010 at 09:24 PM   #1
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Becoming a Welcome Week Rep: Reflection of a Graduating Student
I cannot believe I will (finally) be ending my undergraduate career at Mac as of this April. I have had lots of good times (as well as some hard ones) here, met tons of people, and had a lot of shenanigans (random or otherwise). I'm very sad (bordering on despondent) that I will no longer be able to be a Welcome Week Rep.

I was a WW Rep for four years: I was a res rep three times (Whidden '05, Bates '06 and Bates '07), a Faculty Rep (Soc Sci '06) and a Maroons rep in 2008. My experience as a rep were some of the best I had at Mac: I met a lot of people; I got to initiate students into the traditions we created during my Welcome Week; I've helped start new traditions; I've raised money for Shinerama; and perhaps most importantly, yelled and jumped around like an idiot in a brightly-coloured jumpsuit.

I'm going to miss it so much.

My frosh have told me that they have wanted to become Welcome Week reps because of how awesome I made their Welcome Weeks. Not everyone enjoyed their Welcome Week (or even attended it, for that matter), but that doesn't mean you can't be a rep. Everyone I know has a better time being a rep than they did as a first year student, which is why so many people become reps year after year.

If you are thinking about becoming a rep, we have a stockpile of old articles that give first-hand experience to what it was like being a rep. Applications to become a rep for Welcome Week 2010 start soon, and we will be posting information as it becomes available.

In the meantime, please check out some of our existing articles on being a Welcome Week Rep. If you would like to tell the MacInsiders community about your experience please do so! You can submit it here.

Welcome Week Reps Part One: IRC
Welcome Week Rep Applications Part Two: Faculty Rep
Welcome Week Rep Applications Part Three: SOCS Rep
Welcome Week Rep Applications Part Four: Residence Rep
Welcome Week Rep Applications Part Five: Maroons

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

goodnews.inc, KaylaG all say thanks to lorend for this post.

Old 02-06-2010 at 10:07 PM   #2
KaylaG
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time

I loved being a rep!

Maegs likes this.
Old 02-06-2010 at 10:32 PM   #3
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Being a rep was one of my greatest experiences at McMaster so far. I highly recommend it to everyone.

Maegs likes this.
Old 02-07-2010 at 12:12 AM   #4
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

you rock danielle!

lorend says thanks to Chad for this post.
Old 02-07-2010 at 02:07 AM   #5
LeannaT

Liked: 7 Times

You are awesome Danielle!
I love repping too....it was a huge part of my Mac experience. Every frosh week, including my first year, was memorable and fun and adrenaline-filled. I met some of my closest friends through WW repping and some of my most exciting memories are in some way related to it! I would highly recommend repping to any student looking to make close friends, connect with the school, be a role model/leader, and make life a little more enjoyable for nervous first-years. Plus, you get to a create a cool alias name and wear some sickkkk overalls. WHIDDEN WHIDDEN WHIDDEN!!!!! Orange will forever be a fave colour for me!

Last edited by LeannaT : 02-07-2010 at 02:09 AM.
Old 02-07-2010 at 10:30 PM   #6
Cassanova

Liked: 30 Times

hey, when are the info dates again?
Old 02-07-2010 at 10:31 PM   #7
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

They're listed here:
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=2626 2