MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ELM: So I approached the LTRC office.. tashatjong General Discussion 18 09-17-2009 11:59 AM

On Being Approached

Old 10-31-2010 at 04:52 PM   #31
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I think I've just been lucky in that department then. I've known my boyfriend since we were young. We kind of had a Cory-Topanga relationship. I have had guy friends who liked me, but it didn't work out - and we still remained close friends.
I guess it all depends on how much one person likes to other, and how strong your friendship is.

OH MY GOD, CORY/TOPANGA.

Sigh. knowing this is your relationship makes me very happy.
Old 10-31-2010 at 04:52 PM   #32
NowHere

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentWalker View Post
That's why I said at the moment. It's not a lifelong commitment, as far as the 'Western world dating procedure' goes. If you figure out that you two aren't right for each other, then you go your own way.

I know there are a lot of socially awkward people (like me), or foreigners who aren't aware of the customs in Canada...so this thread is quite helpful. Let's you talk about this stuff without being awkward about it.
Well here's what I was thinking. If you are announcing for the moment (however long that is) that you are not going to be "looking at your options so to speak", might you not miss out on good opportunities for meeting people? Say in a few months you and your current partner "break it off" and the person you wish you had met a few months ago is not around anymore for whatever reason?

This might be a harsh concept for those that are into monogomous relationships and manage to "snag someone who is better than them". I guess that other person would want to "trade up" so to speak? However, would this build up inside them and occur eventually anyway?
Old 10-31-2010 at 04:55 PM   #33
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

BOY MEETS WORLD <3
love that show.

Old 10-31-2010 at 05:03 PM   #34
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xo.monica View Post
BOY MEETS WORLD <3
love that show.
Mr. Feeney touched my whiffle bisket :(

frozenjuice likes this.
Old 10-31-2010 at 05:16 PM   #35
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowHere View Post
Isn't 50 minutes a pretty long time and as an aside, you be talking the whole lecture ? I mean if you talked to a guy for a few minutes and it was good, you wouldn't go? Don't you think you are missing out on potentially good opportunities that way?
Well, lecture was just an example. I would never talk all lecture, that would drive everyone insane, haha. You're right though, if the conversation is good, I might not necessarily say no to coffee.

That's the thing though. In order to have a decent/fun conversation, I need to talk to the guy for more than just "Hi, my name is ___, do you want to go out?"
If he's funny, nice and actually wants to talk to me because he thinks I'm fun to talk to, then yeah, I'll go out. But if he's just asking me out because he thinks I'm pretty and knows nothing about my personality, then no.
Old 10-31-2010 at 05:21 PM   #36
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoon View Post
Mr. Feeney touched my whiffle bisket :(

Collegehumor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BMW1.jpg (87.4 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg BMW2.jpg (78.0 KB, 60 views)

AelyaS, xo.monica like this.
Old 10-31-2010 at 05:45 PM   #37
AlienSummer

Liked: 55 Times

For some reason, I only get approached when I leave Canada.

My favourite "being approached" story that I have, and if a guy in Canada did this to me here, I'd totally date him, happened in Milan. It was my second night there, I didn't know anyone, and I was eating dinner on my own. This nice Italian boy (he was 21 years old) came over to my table and asked if he could join me. He only spoke broken English, but we managed to talk for a good hour and a bit during dinner. It was really nice and I definitely appreciated his company. I'd love it if a boy did that to me while I'm eating on my own in the student centre. I love talking to new people.

AelyaS, xo.monica, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 10-31-2010 at 08:20 PM   #38
NowHere

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienSummer View Post
For some reason, I only get approached when I leave Canada.

My favourite "being approached" story that I have, and if a guy in Canada did this to me here, I'd totally date him, happened in Milan. It was my second night there, I didn't know anyone, and I was eating dinner on my own. This nice Italian boy (he was 21 years old) came over to my table and asked if he could join me. He only spoke broken English, but we managed to talk for a good hour and a bit during dinner. It was really nice and I definitely appreciated his company. I'd love it if a boy did that to me while I'm eating on my own in the student centre. I love talking to new people.
How come you were eating dinner alone in Milan? Just curious.
Old 10-31-2010 at 08:27 PM   #39
AlienSummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowHere View Post
How come you were eating dinner alone in Milan? Just curious.
I went on my own, and it was dinner after my first full day there and hadn't yet met anyone to eat with. So I had to eat dinner and didn't want to take it back to where I was staying and eat it alone there. Plus, I was secretly hoping that someone would come around and eat dinner with me, and sure enough that happened!
Old 10-31-2010 at 08:28 PM   #40
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 815 Times

I have no issue approaching girls, but I would never approach one if they were eating alone. That's insanely creepy and there's likely a reason they're eating by themselves.
Old 10-31-2010 at 08:33 PM   #41
AlienSummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakim View Post
I have no issue approaching girls, but I would never approach one if they were eating alone. That's insanely creepy and there's likely a reason they're eating by themselves.
... Like they're eating their dinner in the student centre between work and night class? Because that's the only reason why I eat alone at the student centre. And I'd seriously love company, so if anyone sees me eating alone, feel free to join me! I don't think there's anything creepy about it, it's just being friendly and I can leave whenever I want or tell you that I don't want you there.
Old 10-31-2010 at 08:56 PM   #42
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

This thread makes me feel better about thinking approaching chicks randomly on the bus/train/street/between classes is weird unless you already know them.

Yeah, you're exchanging glances on the bus. Want to know why? She's afraid she might get raped by your ugly ass.

/themoreyouknow

AelyaS likes this.
Old 10-31-2010 at 09:04 PM   #43
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoon View Post
This thread makes me feel better about thinking approaching chicks randomly on the bus/train/street/between classes is weird unless you already know them.

Yeah, you're exchanging glances on the bus. Want to know why? She's afraid she might get raped by your ugly ass.

/themoreyouknow
I actually agree with this. There are places to approach girls and there are places not to approach girls. Public transit and in the middle of the street are bad ideas.
Old 10-31-2010 at 09:10 PM   #44
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I actually agree with this. There are places to approach girls and there are places not to approach girls. Public transit and in the middle of the street are bad ideas.
In other news, thinking you're a baller because you memorized The Game will get you shot.

Old 10-31-2010 at 09:21 PM   #45
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Well on the topic of being approached by a guy...:

Where
: 1280, Graffiti Night
What did he do: Called me cute, asked if I wanted to hang out
Do I like being approached: in the case, most certainly not.
How do I prefer being approached: by women.
What I look for: Personality. I prefer people with charisma who are comfortable with who they are.
Do I give my number/plan to meet up later: Depends on how well the initial meeting goes
Subtle clues: I honestly have no clue about this one.
Do I ever approach guys: No