MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
donating blood question...vegetarian? mac_nurse90 Body & Food 3 10-02-2010 06:41 PM
@muss.cis.mcmaster.ca vs @mcmaster.ca KMoney First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 09-13-2010 06:04 PM
"Most Vegetarian Friendly University" contest rrtt MacInsiders Announcements 34 11-12-2009 02:44 PM
"Meatiest" Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chili temara.brown Recipes 1 01-05-2009 09:16 PM

Being Vegetarian at McMaster

Being Vegetarian at McMaster
BY TEMARA BROWN, MACINSIDERS

Being a vegetarian can be very difficult when it comes to eating out. You're not always certain of how cautious the restaurant is about catering to different needs or what is really going on back in the kitchen whatsoever. It can be very nerve-wracking for someone who really cares about what they're putting into their body. For those planning to arrive at Mac in September with dietary concerns - read on!

Before coming to McMaster and while registering for my meal plan, I was freaking out about whether or not there would be enough options and especially if the staff would be careful or not with how they prepare the meal. I had also heard so many horror stories from various students studying at various universities about how you get sick of it after a week and how when you finally are able to go home that home cooked meal is just the greatest thing in the world. Hence, I had much fear about what it would really be like for someone who had an even more limited selection.

I have been a strict vegetarian for almost 9 years now. This means no meat of any kind, which includes fish, gelatin, or any other product of the like. Now, I'm going into my fourth year eating on campus at McMaster and have come to get a good understanding of what it’s like.

How vegetarian friendly is McMaster? Well, Peta2, a fairly well know vegetarian group, recognized McMaster as a top vegetarian-friendly university friendly over the past few years. This past year, we were ranked second after being named first in 2006-2007.

After living in residence for two years on a meal plan and one year wishing I still had it, I was still very happy with my options! There always seemed to be ample variety amongst the various facilities.

Commons is the closest to the North Quad residences and will probably be the one you
go to most if you’re living there and on a meal plan. It is organized into different vendors, most of which have a vegetarian option. Most of these vendors switch it up with different specials so you will be able to have enough variety here.

La Piazza in the student centre and has a similar set-up as commons with the vendors who also have a plethora of vegetarian options.

Quarters, located in the basement of the student centre is an amazing place for a vegetarian breakfast or lunch and of course has the most amazing prices! You can even check out their menu online.

One must mention Bridges Cafe, the vegetarian restaurant, whenever they speak about eating at McMaster. Co-run by MSU Diversity Services and Hospitality Services, the restaurant focuses on maintaining an inclusive and safe space for vegetarians - it allows no meat in the facility at all! But it is an amazing place to eat in general! I haven't met someone who hasn't had something good to say about those amazing sweet potato fries or that AMAZING chilli on flat bread! They are also very good for inventing different specials to their menu and accommodating for a variety of different tastes whether it be on their Indian food nights or whatever taste they're interested in exploring.

If you are very strict with how your food is prepared in the facilities also serving meat products, you don't have to worry! Servers are very careful while preparing, making sure not to contaminate the veggie dishes or to transfer utensils. You may notice the usage of red an green tongs to differentiate between which ones are veggie safe and which ones are not.

I've noticed over the years that servers really do take good consideration into their work. If you have any type of dietary restriction and are concerned with any practice in preparation, all you need to do is let the server know! These people are very nice and good fun!

Hospitality Services holds a committee alongside with the Inter-Residence Council to encourage student feedback regarding all food concerns. So, if you are a student living in residence with any comment or concern regarding the food services on campus, let your IRC committee representative know. The committee is amazing at getting results! Even if it's something as simple as a wish to see more cheese in commons, it can be done!

For those considering going vegetarian, whatever your reasons, your university days may just be an excellent time to start with so many options available.

For those interested in exploring food in general, you might want to check out the MSU Club Food for Thought as well!

aj-maxx, pinkshuniza, sinthusized, SKHS2, __lexington all say thanks to temara.brown for this post.
Published by
MacInsiders Staff

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 08-20-2008 at 06:11 PM   #2
davey
Elite Member
Program: Nursing
Year: Third
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 14 Times
great article!! i cant wait to eat at bridges!!
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 08-20-2008 at 07:07 PM   #3
Phoenix
Program: History
Year: Fifth

Liked: 52 Times
living on residence first year i was really amazed with Bridges. Great food and great look! I actually felt bad if I went to Bridges in sweat pants. After that I always wore jeans and even had a couple dates there
Old 08-20-2008 at 07:59 PM   #4
mitch
Elite Member
Faculty: Health Sciences
Year: Second
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 75 Times
My classmates and I went to Bridges every Friday after our debates as a weekly thing. It's a fun place, but the only reason I go their is for their pasta. They have the most variety for their pasta, but Troy in Commons makes the largest portions!

Old 08-20-2008 at 08:24 PM   #5
dragonfly
Program: Computer Engineering
Year: Alumni
Residence: McKay Hall

Liked: Liked 2 Times
Wow it seems like mac has great variety. I'm not a vegetarian, but a lot of the time i don't eat meat so it's great to know i won't be limited by my eating habits.
Old 08-20-2008 at 09:11 PM   #6
danman324
Faculty: Business / Commerce

Liked: 1 Time
Troy at YHC (your healthy choice) is a real cool guy. If you are ever in line there, try to strike up a conversation. I've heard he's also a big Halo fan. Haha. Getting back to the vegetarian meals at mac: I'm no vegetarian, but some of the best meals I had last year were at Bridges. The sweet potato fries, the chili and the taster combos meals are definetly must trys.
Old 08-20-2008 at 09:12 PM   #7
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff
Program: English and Classics
Residence: Edwards

Liked: 23 Times
Troy <3
I miss Your Healthy Choice because of him.
Apparently Troy is ranked in the top 100 Halo players in the world. He's kind of a big deal

But in the case of bridges... it's all about them sweet tater fries!!

Old 08-21-2008 at 12:08 AM   #8
ferreinm
Elite Member
Program: Philosophy
Year: Fourth
Residence: WHIDDEN HALL

Liked: 120 Times
More cheese in Commons- hahaha! I heard about that story...
Old 08-21-2008 at 12:16 PM   #9
shivp16
Faculty: Social Science
Year: First

Liked: 0 Times
I am veggie! so this is great for me.
THANKS

Article Tools