MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FINALLY! Bus route between Guelph & Hamilton ali11 MacInsiders Announcements 2 10-04-2010 11:20 PM
The Move-In Route? oxelhs Residence & Housing 8 09-04-2010 10:43 AM
anyone know a walking route from ancaster to mcmaster? macbaby07 General Discussion 13 05-03-2010 08:36 PM
Coach Canada Hamilton-Guelph Route being phased out samtheman89 General Discussion 14 08-29-2009 10:03 AM
Quickest Route watercresent General Discussion 11 08-29-2008 05:49 PM

Best Academic Route

Old 08-19-2009 at 09:11 PM   #1
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Best Academic Route
Hey

I can't seem to decide which path to take. Right now I'm enrolled in Honours Life Science. But this year they have life science specific courses. My goal was to get into Honours Biology and I was thinking of applying after second year.

Now I'm not sure weather to stay in Life Science or get into Honours Biology. I want to keep my options open. I'd like to have the option of dentistry and optometry which are my big choices. For this would Honours Life Science be my best option? and what path/courses should I be focusing on? Also should I take the other Life Science Courses as well rather than shadow part of Honours Biology?
Old 08-19-2009
penopeno
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 08-19-2009 at 09:38 PM   #2
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

They can basically be the same thing. If you're interested in dentristry/optometry you're going to have to take bio courses like microbio and physiology anyways.
Old 08-19-2009 at 09:39 PM   #3
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times

Hey patelp. I would also like to become a dentist! I am not too sure about optometry, but I know that many dental schools in Ontario don’t have a preference to what undergraduate degree you complete. Western, for instance, has a list of required courses that you must take in order to be considered. As long as you have written your DAT and have completed the required courses (and have a high GPA/high DAT scores), you will have a chance to be admitted into The Schulich School Dentistry at Western.

So, my advice would be to do what you think will get you the best GPA. If you really are not interested in the Life Sci courses and you love biology, then I think you should definitely shadow the Honours Bio program. However, if you like the Life Sci courses and you think that you can do well in them, then I would suggest sticking with Life Science. I think the main thing is taking courses you enjoy! If you take courses that you enjoy, you will most likely do well in them and that will translate to a high GPA.

Hope that helps!
Old 08-19-2009 at 09:40 PM   #4
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

For Optometry and Dentistry, I'm fairly sure that both Life Sci and Hon. Bio are good choices (And I'm pretty sure they both give you a B.Sc degree anyway). Just make sure you look into what courses are required, write the necessary exams (ie. the DAT) and you'll end up on the right path. (:

EDIT: rrtt brings up a good point here. Even if you have your heart set on being say, a Dentist, but you can't stand the recommended courses...then being a dentist isn't for you.

I went into university wanting to be a doctor...I (would like to think at least) had the grades to become one, but I think I'd've been miserable if I went off to med school and actually became one because I found an increasing distaste toward the courses.

So I switched to math (which I didn't expect at all), and all is well. (:

Last edited by Mowicz : 08-19-2009 at 09:42 PM.
Old 08-19-2009 at 10:17 PM   #5
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Just a note, many popular biology courses that are required for dentistry like Biology 3U03/3UU3 fill up very quickly. If you're in the life sciences program, you technically don't have to take the course, so it would be hard for them to open a seat if you don't register in time.

Overall they're fairly similar programs, biology just has more emphasis on biology and there are specializations.
Old 08-19-2009 at 10:31 PM   #6
Infinity
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtt View Post
Hey patelp. I would also like to become a dentist! I am not too sure about optometry, but I know that many dental schools in Ontario don’t have a preference to what undergraduate degree you complete. Western, for instance, has a list of required courses that you must take in order to be considered. As long as you have written your DAT and have completed the required courses (and have a high GPA/high DAT scores), you will have a chance to be admitted into The Schulich School Dentistry at Western.

So, my advice would be to do what you think will get you the best GPA. If you really are not interested in the Life Sci courses and you love biology, then I think you should definitely shadow the Honours Bio program. However, if you like the Life Sci courses and you think that you can do well in them, then I would suggest sticking with Life Science. I think the main thing is taking courses you enjoy! If you take courses that you enjoy, you will most likely do well in them and that will translate to a high GPA.

Hope that helps!
that's true. I'm actually planning U of T dentistry school. Western is just to far from home. I really do love biology but these life science courses seem pretty interesting and I think a few of them are cross listed with other biology courses. The reason I can't really decide is becuase what if dentistry school doesn't work out? Hundreds apply to western.. only a few get in. These days its getting really competitive to get into post grad studies.

I'd like to be able to have a backup plan like a career as a medical lab tech or something. I'm not sure a biology degree would allow me to do that or would it?
Old 08-19-2009 at 10:31 PM   #7
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

I wanted to go to life science but the required courses (new) don't sound too interesting for me.
Old 08-20-2009 at 07:04 AM   #8
Lois
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patelp View Post
that's true. I'm actually planning U of T dentistry school. Western is just to far from home. I really do love biology but these life science courses seem pretty interesting and I think a few of them are cross listed with other biology courses. The reason I can't really decide is becuase what if dentistry school doesn't work out? Hundreds apply to western.. only a few get in. These days its getting really competitive to get into post grad studies.

I'd like to be able to have a backup plan like a career as a medical lab tech or something. I'm not sure a biology degree would allow me to do that or would it?
The technician at my lab has a bio degree (M. Sc.)
Old 08-20-2009 at 10:17 AM   #9
Infinity
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinthusized View Post
I wanted to go to life science but the required courses (new) don't sound too interesting for me.
Yeh not all of them are great. I do like a few of them. I don't even know why they brought these courses in. Hopefully they turn out be good.

Do you know where I could find informaiton on being a technition. I've looked online but it doesn't list requirments.
Old 08-20-2009 at 09:31 PM   #10
Lois
Elite Member

http://employeecareers.mcmas ter.ca...b-technologist