MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FINALLY! Bus route between Guelph & Hamilton ali11 MacInsiders Announcements 2 10-04-2010 11:20 PM
The Move-In Route? oxelhs Residence & Housing 8 09-04-2010 10:43 AM
anyone know a walking route from ancaster to mcmaster? macbaby07 General Discussion 13 05-03-2010 08:36 PM
Coach Canada Hamilton-Guelph Route being phased out samtheman89 General Discussion 14 08-29-2009 10:03 AM
Best Academic Route Infinity General Discussion 9 08-20-2009 09:31 PM

Quickest Route

Old 08-26-2008 at 12:17 AM   #1
watercresent

Liked: 0 Times

Quickest Route
Hi, can someone tell me the quickest route to go from downtown Toronto to Mcmaster?
Old 08-26-2008 at 12:58 AM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Go Train from Union Station to Aldershot or Burlington (depending on the time of day) and then bus to McMaster University. I don't quite remember the bus number because I only took it once. But when you come out of the Burlington station, it's one of the buses on the right hand side. It'll say McMaster University on the bus and on the signs where the bus stops to pick-up/drop-off. The only problem is the train and bus don't leave to often, like every hour.

Another way of getting to McMaster University which is much easier, but longer from downtown, is to take the subway to Finch Station, take the finch bus to York University and then take the Go Bus directly to McMaster. Again, I'm not quite sure the number, it's either 46 or 47. You can probably check on the go transit website though.
Old 08-26-2008 at 08:29 AM   #3
Ivan Q.

Liked: 10 Times

You can take anything that's listed on Mac's website (e.g. York U, QEW Express or the Lakeshore). York U will drop you at Mac, but takes the longest of the 3 options (I believe).

http://act.mcmaster.ca/transit/GO%20Transit.htm

http://www.gotransit.com/publicroot/...ser.aspx?new=Y
Old 08-26-2008 at 08:40 AM   #4
Reno V

Liked: 38 Times

Haha, this is a trick question. the quickest route is a straight line.

Well, if you want to get technical, it's really a great circle, because the earth is an oblique spheroid.

Last edited by Reno V : 08-26-2008 at 08:42 AM.
Old 08-26-2008 at 09:14 AM   #5
mitch
Elite Member

Liked: 75 Times

Here is one of the private messages I sent to another member when he asked about travelling from Toronto to McMaster:

1. I don't know if this applies to you, but if you're closer to York University than Union Station, you can take that bus. It only runs on weekdays and is quite long (1.5-2 hours), so I don't think that one works for you.

2. Get to Union Station and hop on the train. Get off at the very last stop which will either be Burlington or Aldershot. There will be a Go bus there that will take people that get off the train to MAC for no extra cost. This takes around 1.5 hours and is available over the weekend.

3. This is the fastest way. Get to Union Station and hop on the QEW express bus to Hamilton. Get off at the first stop once you exit the highway (there are only two). It's a 5 minute walk to MAC from there, just head West which is to your right as soon as you get off the bus. It takes around 50 minutes, and is available over the weekend.
Old 08-27-2008 at 11:00 AM   #6
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by watercresent View Post
Hi, can someone tell me the quickest route to go from downtown Toronto to Mcmaster?
Quickest route as in public transit or car?

If it's public transit then what people below have written is probably correct.
Especially what Ivan Q. wrote.

By car:
http://www.mcmaster.ca/welcome/directions.cfm
Old 08-27-2008 at 12:22 PM   #7
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

I never knew about that QEW thing... 50 minutes? that's really fast. Thanks for that info!
Old 08-27-2008 at 12:26 PM   #8
Holly

Liked: 0 Times

The QEW express is definately the fastest route from Union Station to Hamilton, because there is no bus transfer at Aldershot Station. It's also much better because instead of getting off downtown, you can come off the QEW and go along Main Street, where there are a few stops that you can get off on.
Old 08-29-2008 at 08:14 AM   #9
DavidR

Liked: 87 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch View Post
There will be a Go bus there that will take people that get off the train to MAC for no extra cost.
No extra cost? It costs $3.70 or $4.30 (Aldershot and Burlington respectively) to get to Mac via GO.
Old 08-29-2008 at 04:41 PM   #10
mitch
Elite Member

Liked: 75 Times

Quote:
No extra cost? It costs $3.70 or $4.30 (Aldershot and Burlington respectively) to get to Mac via GO.
I meant that it's included in the ticket price from Union to Hamilton. When I first took the train, I bought the ticket from Union to Hamilton and then got off at Burlington or Aldershot. Being my first time, I thought I might have to pay an extra fee to get on the GO bus to go to MAC. But since it's included on the ticket price, they just check the ticket. It was just my lack of knowledge about trains, buses, and transfers. I thought you had to buy train and bus tickets seperately
Old 08-29-2008 at 05:06 PM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Which HSR buses go from Mac to Hamilton GO station on Saturdays and Hamilton GO station to Mac on Sundays?
Old 08-29-2008 at 05:49 PM   #12
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Which HSR buses go from Mac to Hamilton GO station on Saturdays and Hamilton GO station to Mac on Sundays?
The 5 and 51 both run on weekends and take you both ways.

5 buses dont actually go to the GO station however, but it gets pretty close... like 2 blocks away. 51 stops there though.

Oh, and I think the 5C stops on campus, and the 5B and 52 stops at Main and Emerson just off campus. When going to the GO station, you'll want the 5A (stops at campus) or the 5E (main and emerson) i believe...

Last edited by dvy88 : 08-29-2008 at 06:13 PM.