MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting a Job on Campus? Hanna Volunteering Opportunities 6 10-14-2010 02:44 PM
On to off campus Zachary Residence & Housing 10 07-06-2010 12:17 PM
Fax on Campus Pay919 General Discussion 3 11-02-2009 03:57 PM
DC++ Off Campus Waaaaataccc General Discussion 16 11-28-2008 10:57 AM
Getting Around Campus Mariah First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-15-2008 01:11 PM

Best Barber around campus?

Old 02-21-2010 at 09:56 PM   #1
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Liked: 78 Times

Best Barber around campus?
Hey guys,

I've had my hair butchered at some brand name shops, and I was wondering where the guys on MI get your hair cut when at McMaster. There are about 3 on Emerson that I'm especially curious about (if they're any good or not).
Old 02-21-2010 at 10:04 PM   #2
emtee10
Mac Lifer

Liked: 49 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaront View Post
Hey guys,

I've had my hair butchered at some brand name shops, and I was wondering where the guys on MI get your hair cut when at McMaster. There are about 3 on Emerson that I'm especially curious about (if they're any good or not).
There's a place on campus, on the first floor of the McMaster Medical Center across from the Health Sciences Bookstore (Mediashop). That's where I usually go and I'm always satisfied with my haircut.
Old 02-21-2010 at 10:14 PM   #3
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 394 Times

$10 and some scissors and I'm good to give haircuts.

adrian likes this.
Old 02-21-2010 at 10:51 PM   #4
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Ok, well, I'm going to go ahead and suggest a place that isn't the one run by some guy named Vince on Main St. I gave him clear instructions of how I wanted it, brought pictures, and steps on how the hair was cut like that. I don't think he understood English too well though, because he didn't understand very well what I was asking and made a lot of basic mistakes. The haircut was $18, which isn't terrible, but considering how bad of a job he did, I was somewhat pissed. That was the last time I got my hair cut in Hamilton, I've been trying to avoid doing that again.
Old 02-21-2010 at 11:19 PM   #5
JeffB

Liked: 26 Times

I have never been to Vince's but have heard many horror stories. I always use Squire's. He is on main street between Cline and Newton on the North side of the street. Good prices and seems to know what he is doing.

rlevitin likes this.
Old 02-21-2010 at 11:29 PM   #6
paulelastic

Liked: 2 Times

Well, I'm a regular customer at Vince's, and here's my take:

1) Vince is an older Italian gentleman from Naples, and he really understands my hair. Yes, his English is halting, and I wouldn't try to communicate anything complex to him, but he does know his stuff.
2) This is the caveat: If you're looking for a classic or retro haircut, he's pretty good. He is NOT that good with modern styles. You'll find that his loyal clientele consists mostly of more mature men.
3) Sometimes it takes him 1-2 tries to get it right (unlike the folks at First Choice, who never get it right). My first haircut was not perfect, but I gave him feedback and told him that my hair tends to stick up if cut too short, so he compensated for it in my subsequent visits. Now my haircuts are perfect.
4) Also, Vince remembers his customers. Nowadays, I just walk in and tell him I want the usual, and he'll reproduce the haircut I had the last time. Also, he knows his work -- he can tell how long ago my last haircut was.

So in summary: if you want a preppie/classic/retro sort of haircut, Vince is very good. If you want something modern, give Vince a miss.

I'm personally very happy with Vince because my tastes lean toward classic rather than contemporary.

I've also heard good things about the Squire Barbershop, a few shops down from the Fred Astaire on Main Street, but I've never been there myself. There are some barbershops on the western strip of Main St too -- between the Cootes and Main gas station and the Main St W Fortinos.

The only place I would avoid is the First Choice haircutters across the street from the hospital. They are horrible and they charge too much.

adrian, Equinox all say thanks to paulelastic for this post.
Old 02-22-2010 at 12:51 AM   #7
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

That sounds like a pretty fair assessment, for a more basic haircut he would probably have been better. Just sharing my experience.
Old 02-22-2010 at 01:08 AM   #8
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

The Westdale Barber shop is run by 20/30 something Italians and they do a decent job, but they charge around $23 It was okayish, but then again I asked for a standard haircut with spiky upfront(that was all I asked exactly). So if you want a classic Guido spiky hair that's the place to go!

Then there is this lady down at Emerson(The one with the white shop) that is decent as well, she charged me $18 in late 08; what I liked about her was that she took half an hour cutting it to make sure she got everything right detailwise! Though her clientele was of the older variety too so I guess you have to explain to her what exactly you want.

There is a good one in Meadowlands Ancaster as well but I guess that is too far!

But nothing beats going back home to Pakistan in the summer and getting a haircut for $1.10 from the barber I used to go to for like 5/6 years

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 02-22-2010 at 01:25 AM   #9
frozenjuice

Liked: 6 Times

Emerson Barbershop, the little white house by The Hub, is where my boyfriend goes and he's been really happy with his haircut every time.

Definitely recommended.
Old 02-22-2010 at 06:24 PM   #10
thatdudeukno

i cut ma own hair.
Old 02-23-2010 at 06:24 PM   #11
aksaha

Liked: 0 Times

I've got a ridiculous head of hair (very thick and unhumanly straight), so finding a good barber is definitely key for me. I've usually traveled between three different shops in the area so far.

Campus barbershop (Main and Thorndale, west of campus) - $18, go there for CLASSIC styles. They do a great job at that, but asking them for a mohawk fade is probably not going to go well for you. Go there during the afternoon and you will usually be facing away from the mirror while the dude watches latino soap operas on the television. My current fave for the price and consistently good cuts.

Emerson Studio (Across from West End pub, almost always a yellow hummer in the parking lot) - $13(!), one man operation. Loves to talk, uses straight-edge razor to line your sideburns and neckline. Has very good 'vision', your overall haircut will probably look great. My knocks against him are that he doesn't always listen to what you say, he basically just cuts the hair as he sees fit. Also, he can be wildly inconsistent with fine detail (bad blending in areas etc), even if overall the style is nice. Hard to argue with the price though.

Westable Barber Shop (Beside the Second Cup) - $23, but they treat you right. Straight-edge razor, heated shaving cream dispenser.. very nice. Young guys, they can definitely do any style you ask for. Excellent work, and they've mentioned how they attend barber conventions to get a scope of new trends - very professional. Can't really complain here - only thing is the price. $25-26 after tip really adds up after a while.. plus I've heard one of the barbers (Nick) left, and moved to another place on main st.

I've heard good things about squire, but have yet to check them out.
Old 02-23-2010 at 06:29 PM   #12
MD-L
2011-2012 MSU President

Liked: 201 Times

Next to the Emerson studio is a little white hut where a lady cuts hair. I think she does a great job and seeing as how I have tried, vinces, first choice, westdale I think she is the best and $18 aint bad.