MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Internet, Home phone, tv and cell phone bill **jewel 03** General Discussion 15 10-15-2009 07:29 PM
Cell Phone Bill niteskie General Discussion 15 09-09-2009 07:27 PM
Cell Phone Plan? Sultan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 29 08-16-2009 04:45 PM
Cell Phone Plans jhan523 General Discussion 76 09-21-2008 08:13 PM
Cell Phone Help Kevin Computers & Tech 7 08-30-2007 12:29 PM

Best Cell Phone Coverage!

Old 07-22-2010 at 11:38 AM   #16
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

does it cost money to change your number to hamilton's area code?
I'm with bell and I was searching online and it said it cost like $20 or something.
Is this true because I know for rogers you can change for free
Old 07-22-2010 at 12:06 PM   #17
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdzl View Post
does it cost money to change your number to hamilton's area code?
I'm with bell and I was searching online and it said it cost like $20 or something.
Is this true because I know for rogers you can change for free
That's really weird. I never had to pay for changing my number. Maybe with Bell they hold on to your old number in case you want to change it back? That's the only reason why I can see they would charge for it.

Why don't you just call Bell?
Old 07-22-2010 at 01:43 PM   #18
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

I have pay as you go with Rogers. I don't use my phone nearly enough to have a plan, but it works out to be cheaper for me.
Old 08-14-2010 at 07:45 PM   #19
nikita92

Liked: 4 Times

Hey,

So I have an iphone and I'm with rogers. I can't get out of the rogers plan because I'm locked into it for 3 years and don't want to have to change. Also, I don't really want to change my number if I don't have to. This is my first year at mac and I live in missisauga, I'm living on rez this year but I'm not sure if im gonna commute the following years or not; so I don't wanna change my plan and get a hamilton number just to change back to a mississauga number next year...Would it be better to get a long distance plan attached onto my phone or to just switch to a hamilton number ? I'm not sure whta to do and I'm really happy with the plan I have now: $30/month with 300 minutes, unlimited texting, caller ID and 500 MB of data. (lol, me and my dad made some noise to rogers and they gave us some perks) But I prob won't need data at Mac since there's wifi all over campus..So basically I'm just wondering what the smartest thing to do would be, any opions would be appreciated
Old 08-14-2010 at 08:46 PM   #20
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikita92 View Post
Hey,

So I have an iphone and I'm with rogers. I can't get out of the rogers plan because I'm locked into it for 3 years and don't want to have to change. Also, I don't really want to change my number if I don't have to. This is my first year at mac and I live in missisauga, I'm living on rez this year but I'm not sure if im gonna commute the following years or not; so I don't wanna change my plan and get a hamilton number just to change back to a mississauga number next year...Would it be better to get a long distance plan attached onto my phone or to just switch to a hamilton number ? I'm not sure whta to do and I'm really happy with the plan I have now: $30/month with 300 minutes, unlimited texting, caller ID and 500 MB of data. (lol, me and my dad made some noise to rogers and they gave us some perks) But I prob won't need data at Mac since there's wifi all over campus..So basically I'm just wondering what the smartest thing to do would be, any opions would be appreciated
You shouldn't have to change your plan in order to change your number. Not sure about Rogers, you might have to pay a bit to change your number, but it could also be free.

I suggest calling them to change your number, even if you have to pay like 20-30$ I still think it's the best thing to do if you are living in residence or off-campus.

nikita92 says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 08-15-2010 at 02:39 PM   #21
vp15

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikita92 View Post
Hey,

Or you could get the province-wide calling my5 and keep your number so that where ever you go is local but you can still contact people in sauga as well.

nikita92 says thanks to vp15 for this post.
Old 08-15-2010 at 03:16 PM   #22
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

try getting a calling card for calling home. that way its charged to ur parents home plan..much cheaper. Or just use skype. This would only save you calling Mississauga tho and not calls to friends with long distance numbers on campus
Old 08-15-2010 at 04:40 PM   #23
WavyOne

Liked: 0 Times

I.M.O. there is no point in changing your number. Im with rogers (from Toronto) and when I'm in hamilton and call hamilton there are no long distance charges involved. But if I call Toronto from Hamilton there is long distance and if you were to change your number to a hamilton number the same thing would occur so there would be no difference in the way they charge you.
Old 08-15-2010 at 04:49 PM   #24
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by WavyOne View Post
I.M.O. there is no point in changing your number. Im with rogers (from Toronto) and when I'm in hamilton and call hamilton there are no long distance charges involved. But if I call Toronto from Hamilton there is long distance and if you were to change your number to a hamilton number the same thing would occur so there would be no difference in the way they charge you.
Check with your provider, it seems to be different for each company, but if you have a Toronto number then all incoming calls you pick up in Hamilton is long distance.
Old 08-15-2010 at 05:52 PM   #25
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

In my experience, I would say Rogers has the best coverage. I used to have Telus and I hated it.
A friend of mine recently switched from Bell to Rogers because Bell's coverage wasn't very good.

I think Virgin is also pretty decent.
Old 08-15-2010 at 06:06 PM   #26
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
In my experience, I would say Rogers has the best coverage. I used to have Telus and I hated it.
A friend of mine recently switched from Bell to Rogers because Bell's coverage wasn't very good.

Virgin uses Bell's network. If it's anything like the other companies, it uses the downgraded version of their network which is the reason why it's "cheaper". Like how ChatR is owned by Rogers for example.

Kathy2 says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 08-15-2010 at 06:42 PM   #27
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post

No issues with telus here.

Best thing to do: buy a magicjack
Old 08-15-2010 at 08:08 PM   #28
sinnersdrown

Liked: 89 Times

I recently just got a blackberry with Bell and have my Toronto number. I also have my fav 10 so all the people located outside of Hamilton are free. The guy told me that if i'm in Hamilton and calling a a personal locally then it'll work and just cost mw minutes, but if I'm getting called by a number that isn't in my 10 and not in Hamilton then its long distance. I plan on living on rez and really don't wanna change my number since i'll be coming home a lot and commuting next year.
:| hopefully it works like he said.
Old 08-15-2010 at 08:14 PM   #29
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnersdrown View Post
I recently just got a blackberry with Bell and have my Toronto number. I also have my fav 10 so all the people located outside of Hamilton are free. The guy told me that if i'm in Hamilton and calling a a personal locally then it'll work and just cost mw minutes, but if I'm getting called by a number that isn't in my 10 and not in Hamilton then its long distance. I plan on living on rez and really don't wanna change my number since i'll be coming home a lot and commuting next year.
:| hopefully it works like he said.
I have Virgin which is owned by Bell. Make sure your Fav 10 are indeed for across the country. There are 2 kinds of favourites, one is just local while the other is across the country. The lower costing plans is just local, the higher costing ones are across country.

But yeah, if you receive calls from people not in your Fav 10 then you are charged long distance.
Old 08-15-2010 at 09:54 PM   #30
sinnersdrown

Liked: 89 Times

yeah the guy said it worked all across Canada so i'm assuming that it's good. I figured that much. I just don't want to change my number because then I'd end up changing it during the summer which is pretty pointless to me.
Surprisingly though my bill isn't that much and considered a cheap one with a data plan.