MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Internet, Home phone, tv and cell phone bill **jewel 03** General Discussion 15 10-15-2009 07:29 PM
Cell Phone Bill niteskie General Discussion 15 09-09-2009 07:27 PM
Cell Phone Plan? Sultan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 29 08-16-2009 04:45 PM
Cell Phone Plans jhan523 General Discussion 76 09-21-2008 08:13 PM
Cell Phone Help Kevin Computers & Tech 7 08-30-2007 12:29 PM

Best Cell Phone Coverage!

Old 08-15-2010 at 09:57 PM   #31
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnersdrown View Post
yeah the guy said it worked all across Canada so i'm assuming that it's good. I figured that much. I just don't want to change my number because then I'd end up changing it during the summer which is pretty pointless to me.
Surprisingly though my bill isn't that much and considered a cheap one with a data plan.
I just don't take calls when I'm at home during the summer. I call people back instead. I'd rather do that 4 months per summer instead of 8 months during school.
Old 08-15-2010 at 10:03 PM   #32
sinnersdrown

Liked: 89 Times

i guess that makes sense lol well i'd probably just take them if i know theyre local.
Old 08-15-2010 at 10:31 PM   #33
tobiasd

Liked: 0 Times

So I pretty much have the same dilemma as a few of you guys in this thread. I have Bell as my provider and I'm from Toronto. I'm debating on whether or not its worth switching from a 416 number to a 905 number. I know that the text messages and data plan aren't charged as long distance but calls are. I don't think I'll be making many long distance calls but you never know. Any suggestions?
Old 08-15-2010 at 10:37 PM   #34
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiasd View Post
So I pretty much have the same dilemma as a few of you guys in this thread. I have Bell as my provider and I'm from Toronto. I'm debating on whether or not its worth switching from a 416 number to a 905 number. I know that the text messages and data plan aren't charged as long distance but calls are. I don't think I'll be making many long distance calls but you never know. Any suggestions?
As mentioned right above your post, if you switch then you shouldn't pick up your phone in Toronto. All calls that you make in the city that you are in is local for you. But if you aren't in Hamilton, then picking up your phone is long distance.

If you don't change, then the opposite it true. You shouldn't pick up your phone in Hamilton because it'll be long distance. Once again, all calls you make in the city that you are located in is local for you.
Old 08-15-2010 at 10:50 PM   #35
tobiasd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
As mentioned right above your post, if you switch then you shouldn't pick up your phone in Toronto. All calls that you make in the city that you are in is local for you. But if you aren't in Hamilton, then picking up your phone is long distance.

If you don't change, then the opposite it true. You shouldn't pick up your phone in Hamilton because it'll be long distance. Once again, all calls you make in the city that you are located in is local for you.
Do you think its worth switching numbers though? Or is it better to just stick with your number and use a phone card or something with a landline?
Old 08-15-2010 at 10:51 PM   #36
sniperwaffle

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/ad...setProvince=ON

Click on the Local Calling Areas and check the Toronto/Hamilton/Oakville ones.
I know this is Rogers, but I feel like the ones with Bell & Rogers are pretty similar. I looked at the Bell website but couldn't find any maps or anything so that's something you have to ask them to figure out for you.
I spent a while wondering whether or not I should switch from a Toronto number to a Hamilton number [I live in York Region and I'm with Rogers] and I also explored that Oakville number that lots of people suggested on the website.
I think in the end I'm going with the Oakville phone number. I know that whatever area you're in is the "local area" you adopt for outgoing calls, so with an Oakville number I'll still get LDCharges calling Toronto from Hamilton and vice-versa. Unless you get a MY5 or something else that's something that really can't be avoided right?
Oakville's "Incoming Local Calling Area" is MASSIVE THOUGH. [the area i can pick up without getting charged]
Stretches from past Hamilton [like Grimsby] and goes to Ajax. GTA is included in this. So pretty much...during the summer, I won't have to leave people who call me hanging, cause whenever i'm back home I can still pick up and not get charged. Plus, people Toronto's "OUTGOING Local Calling Area" includes phones based in Oakville according to the map so if I'm in the GTA, people calling me from the GTA dont need to worry bout getting charged either.

I won't be making many LD calls anyways [if any] since half of my friends are leaving the GTA for Uni, that's what TEXTING is for. Plus under the Family plan, I can call my parents w/e without getting LD Charges so that covers those bases. Switching to the Oakville number makes sense to me cause I dont have to change my phone number every few months.

That's my opinion, hope it helps [but it probably hasn't cause this has been repeated like eighty trillion times on Macinsiders by now]
Old 08-15-2010 at 10:51 PM   #37
sinnersdrown

Yeah but say you're phone is with the Toronto area code but you're in Hamilton. If somebody calls you and they're also in Hamilton as well then that's considered local unless the person calls you from outside of Hamilton.
Old 08-15-2010 at 10:59 PM   #38
sniperwaffle

it might be considered local for them but not for you since Hamilton isn't in Toronto's Incoming Local Calling Area or whatever it's called. they might not get charged but you will since it's incoming.
Old 08-15-2010 at 11:14 PM   #39
sinnersdrown

i'll get charged my minutes but not long distance, that's what the guy who sold it to me told me.
Old 08-15-2010 at 11:22 PM   #40
sniperwaffle

what provider are you with?