MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question Regarding McMaster Workstudy Program lgdynasty General Discussion 1 06-09-2012 09:23 AM
Medical Radiation Sciences program = Hardest undergrad program ? mastercool First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 11-27-2011 10:27 PM
Think Recycle - - McMaster's program and helping out aviaf General Discussion 2 10-13-2010 03:11 PM
LifeScience Program At McMaster meikaelahmad Academics 25 09-03-2010 09:49 PM
mcmaster undergrad email mcmaster12 General Discussion 1 05-15-2009 08:46 PM

What is the best mcmaster undergrad program?

Old 11-21-2014 at 07:23 PM   #1
HealthSci/Kin

Liked: 3 Times

What is the best mcmaster undergrad program?
Without counting what you are interested in or what program do you really fit in to or which suits you. What is the best overall mcmaster undergrad program????

M.D. Hopeful likes this.
Old 11-21-2014 at 07:35 PM   #2
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

Materials eng

HealthSci/Kin says thanks to jon.john23 for this post.

Old 11-21-2014 at 07:45 PM   #3
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

Not Software Engineering

HealthSci/Kin says thanks to GeorgeLucas for this post.

Old 11-21-2014 at 08:14 PM   #4
BoscoXu

Liked: 1 Time

I think it should be the science program tho...especially for life science and health science...

but i do not know that much, i just applied for social science...

HealthSci/Kin says thanks to BoscoXu for this post.

HealthSci/Kin likes this.
Old 11-21-2014 at 08:38 PM   #5
HealthSci/Kin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucas View Post
Not Software Engineering
oh i am really interested in software?? why is it bad

M.D. Hopeful likes this.
Old 11-21-2014 at 08:52 PM   #6
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by HealthSci/Kin View Post
Without counting what you are interested in or what program do you really fit in to or which suits you. What is the best overall mcmaster undergrad program????
This is a dumb question. You can't discount your individual interests, what you fit in to or what suits you. That's what MAKES a program the best for an individual person. A program might be the best for one person and the worst for another.
Old 11-21-2014 at 09:02 PM   #7
HealthSci/Kin

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
This is a dumb question. You can't discount your individual interests, what you fit in to or what suits you. That's what MAKES a program the best for an individual person. A program might be the best for one person and the worst for another.
did you date voldemort

jon.john23 likes this.
Old 11-21-2014 at 09:14 PM   #8
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
did you date voldemort
No, he's really not big on individuality. A bit too controlling and closed-minded for my tastes.

HealthSci/Kin, mac_5555 like this.
Old 11-21-2014 at 09:34 PM   #9
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

Quote:
oh i am really interested in software?? why is it bad
It's pretty underwhelming. Mostly theory. Profs are horrid for the most part. The program is outdated, and is not being kept up to par to other universities because of bad management. If you go into software thinking they teach you how to program, they won't, it's not what the program is all about. The program is focused on optimization and format, rather than enterprise level programming. If you already a software buff, you just pay tuition to get the diploma and nothing else, chances are they won't teach you anything else. One of my TAs agreed with me that Mohawk software program is better. LinkedIn rated McMaster's Software Engineering below Universities with no Software departments at all.

I've been ranting on our Software department for years, and the things I mentioned above is just the outline of what I hear others say about it.

Ownaginatios, qwerty91 like this.
Old 11-21-2014 at 09:51 PM   #10
BoscoXu

Liked: 1 Time

Choose the program which you interested, that is the main thing.

As for me, my physics is not good, so I cannot even apply engineering tho, but engineering is a really good program. It is good for the other people, but not good for myself..

For me, I like doing something like neuroscience, that is in social science, but lots of people said that it is really hard to find a job, but i still want to get in and study. That is what I want, I want to do something which I know what I am doing....
Old 11-22-2014 at 05:22 PM   #11
*spark*

Liked: 55 Times

Biomedical Engineering Duh...

Seriously though this isn't a good question to ask. Everybody can only speak for the programs they are in themselves and there is no way of comparing them all. What you should be asking is "I'm interesting in *insert subjects* what do you guys think is the best program to learn more?" or "I want to become a *insert career goals* what programs would help me reach my goals?" or "I'm interested in *insert program* what do you guys think of this program?". You should have an idea of what your goals are or what interests you before choosing a University.
Old 11-23-2014 at 09:50 AM   #12
BilluRises

All the same, you can't get a job with any of them right after uni
Old 11-23-2014 at 06:58 PM   #13
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

health sci because it guarantees u minimum 3.9 gpa.
Old 11-24-2014 at 11:56 PM   #14
allanandthera

Liked: 33 Times

In terms of exit pay, I think Nurses do the best right out of undergraduate degree. Next up I think Commerce students get a pretty decent pay compared to even engineers granted you are an Accounting or Finance student that works at either an Audit firm (45k avg + development benefits) and analysts at big banks or firms (51k average + bonuses + benefits, some go as high as 80k).

I am not too sure about engineering exit salary statistics, but looking at the coop page, where a level 4 student can expect on average to get 20 dollars an hour compared to a 3rd year DeGroote intern that usually earns at a rate of around 45k annual salary (average 3000 a month, range upwards to 5400 a month), I think we are pretty good in business.

In terms of faculty salary, our faculty sadly gets paid a lot more too, mostly because industry offers much better rewards then teaching.
Old 11-25-2014 at 09:03 AM   #15
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanandthera View Post
In terms of exit pay, I think Nurses do the best right out of undergraduate degree. Next up I think Commerce students get a pretty decent pay compared to even engineers granted you are an Accounting or Finance student that works at either an Audit firm (45k avg + development benefits) and analysts at big banks or firms (51k average + bonuses + benefits, some go as high as 80k).

I am not too sure about engineering exit salary statistics, but looking at the coop page, where a level 4 student can expect on average to get 20 dollars an hour compared to a 3rd year DeGroote intern that usually earns at a rate of around 45k annual salary (average 3000 a month, range upwards to 5400 a month), I think we are pretty good in business.

In terms of faculty salary, our faculty sadly gets paid a lot more too, mostly because industry offers much better rewards then teaching.

There is actually some good data (2013) for Engineering pay in Ontario:

Average Pay <2 Years with company at entry level:
$58k + 1-2k bonus (+ benefits obv)

This obviously changes based on location and degree. In software I would say the average (base wage before bonus) is:
$55-60k -> small company
$65-70k -> gov
$70-80 -> large company
$100-150 -> silicon valley

Ontario source (Ontario society for professional engineers):
http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.ospe.on...urvey_comp.pdf