MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question Regarding McMaster Workstudy Program lgdynasty General Discussion 1 06-09-2012 09:23 AM
Medical Radiation Sciences program = Hardest undergrad program ? mastercool First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 11-27-2011 10:27 PM
Think Recycle - - McMaster's program and helping out aviaf General Discussion 2 10-13-2010 03:11 PM
LifeScience Program At McMaster meikaelahmad Academics 25 09-03-2010 09:49 PM
mcmaster undergrad email mcmaster12 General Discussion 1 05-15-2009 08:46 PM

What is the best mcmaster undergrad program?

Old 11-25-2014 at 10:06 AM   #16
allanandthera

Liked: 33 Times

^ The thing is, that is taking aggregate data from all Engineers in Ontario, not data specific to Mac. Not to be rude, but I do not think a whole lot of people went to Silicon valley and they should be considered extra ordinary. I know one or two DeGroote students that worked at American banks and they were paid crazy, people who go to wall street get paid 100k+ easily, but they skew the data set so should not be considered.

Under 2 years is also anther story, because that is not really exit pay... An accounting student with a CPA or a finance student with a CFA would get paid very handsomely.
Old 11-25-2014 at 07:32 PM   #17
HealthSci/Kin

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by *spark* View Post
Biomedical Engineering Duh...

Seriously though this isn't a good question to ask. Everybody can only speak for the programs they are in themselves and there is no way of comparing them all. What you should be asking is "I'm interesting in *insert subjects* what do you guys think is the best program to learn more?" or "I want to become a *insert career goals* what programs would help me reach my goals?" or "I'm interested in *insert program* what do you guys think of this program?". You should have an idea of what your goals are or what interests you before choosing a University.
i am in grade 12 right now and my high school teacher told me about biomedical engineering since i am really good in biology calculus and physics. But you can't apply to biomedical engineering, can you?
Old 11-25-2014 at 07:35 PM   #18
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by HealthSci/Kin View Post
i am in grade 12 right now and my high school teacher told me about biomedical engineering since i am really good in biology calculus and physics. But you can't apply to biomedical engineering, can you?
At some schools you can apply directly from high school. At Mac, you do a general first-year in engineering and then you can apply to electrical & biomedical engineering for second year.
Old 11-25-2014 at 07:43 PM   #19
HealthSci/Kin

another question, if you apply to health sci and don't get into med school what are your options then? One person I know did a fifth year and get an honors in science. And you can't get a job with a health sci degree right?
Old 11-25-2014 at 07:57 PM   #20
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
another question, if you apply to health sci and don't get into med school what are your options then? One person I know did a fifth year and get an honors in science. And you can't get a job with a health sci degree right?
Depends what you want to do. They're pretty similar in terms of minimal job prospects after just a bachelor's degree.
Old 11-25-2014 at 08:40 PM   #21
AnimeGamer31

Liked: 27 Times

Just to throw this program out there:

Medical Radiation Sciences. I got a friend in the program and it's got both practical and theory in there and there are placements starting from year 2. It's intensive since the summers are also part of the academic term but it's all worth it due to the experience she gets at her placements. Her final year is also a clinical which she is in now and I gotta say it's pretty sweet since she can finish it all within 4 years. There is no need to do a 5th year like a co-op. So she's done after this year and can start work almost immediately. She's already got some offers but she is looking into Toronto and she told me that prospects are looking good for her.

The point is that her program does a good job at what it is meant to do. She gets theory and real world application. It's a great learning environment and the program is one of its kind at Mac.
Old 11-25-2014 at 08:52 PM   #22
AnimeGamer31

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
I think any degree that is more theory based in university doesn't have direct routes to jobs and usually require students to build their profile from scratch. While some programs that combine with colleges such as the Medical Radiation Sciences program or some of the Nursing programs at Mac do all of that for you. Those programs give you hands on experiences and will link you up with clinics/hospitals while you are studying. So to answer your question, you can get a job with health sci but there's just gonna be more digging and networking you will need to do on your own. It's just how much effort you will need to put to find a job. For programs like Medical Radiation Sciences, the jobs are pretty much given to you since they are in demand and the education is for that specific purpose. While health sci does not have a specific job they fit you into and prepares you for a variety of fields and will require the student to select what they want to do with their degree. This is also true of science degrees such as life sciences or biology.
Old 11-26-2014 at 01:55 PM   #23
HealthSci/Kin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeGamer31 View Post
Just to throw this program out there:

Medical Radiation Sciences. I got a friend in the program and it's got both practical and theory in there and there are placements starting from year 2. It's intensive since the summers are also part of the academic term but it's all worth it due to the experience she gets at her placements. Her final year is also a clinical which she is in now and I gotta say it's pretty sweet since she can finish it all within 4 years. There is no need to do a 5th year like a co-op. So she's done after this year and can start work almost immediately. She's already got some offers but she is looking into Toronto and she told me that prospects are looking good for her.

The point is that her program does a good job at what it is meant to do. She gets theory and real world application. It's a great learning environment and the program is one of its kind at Mac.
but i heard med rad is expensive, i mean when you get your placement you have to like rent out a new place and stuff..
Old 11-27-2014 at 03:51 PM   #24
M.D. Hopeful

Liked: 0 Times

i dont know about the best undergrad program but i want to get into a program that has to do with biology and technology. But there isnt any level 1 programs that have bio and technology. does anybody know any level one programs that lead into level 2 programs that have to do with bio and technology
Old 11-27-2014 at 04:07 PM   #25
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

http://learningin3d.ca/biotechnology.html

B.Tech Biotechnology program. Mohawk-McMaster joint program; definitely up your alley if you want Bio and technology!
Old 11-28-2014 at 06:20 PM   #26
topkek

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
http://learningin3d.ca/biotechnology.html

B.Tech Biotechnology program. Mohawk-McMaster joint program; definitely up your alley if you want Bio and technology!
> BTech
Old 11-28-2014 at 08:48 PM   #27
mike_302
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topkek View Post
> BTech
Too few words... Not even sure what your response means, but I suspect it may be mocking the suggestion of checking out a strong and legitimate program: One which actually provides the hands-on and experiential opportunities that most people in University are crying for these days.

If I'm wrong about that, I apologize.

However, if it was a mocking response --- well, I won't explicitly tell you to put your head down and walk away but...
Old 12-09-2014 at 04:12 PM   #28
Alert Moderator & Admin
Add negative rating-4Add positive rank
The MI community has ranked down this post by HealthSci/Kin.
Click here to view it anyways.
Old 12-10-2014 at 08:52 AM   #29
mike_302
Elite Member

^ Can we all just down-vote this question now? Before too many people waste their time with responses that are equally useless?

This question has been asked a million times in very similar forms, on these forums. The CORRECT answer is simply that there is no such thing as the easiest program --- it's subjective based on each individual person's traits.

The common response by the people who have too much time to argue this moot point, is usually the program they think the least of. So really, this question is just troll baiting...