MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Time Wasting Computer Games... britb Gaming 45 05-08-2010 04:48 PM
It's that time of year again: Daylight Savings Time! manu MacInsiders Announcements 5 03-14-2010 03:47 AM
HSR bus pass -full time /part time student macculkin General Discussion 9 04-20-2009 06:45 PM
First MLC dota games Omas Gaming 6 10-30-2008 08:43 AM
Nintendo DS used games ayinaim General Discussion 2 02-11-2008 09:14 PM

Best Nintendo games of all time?

Old 11-07-2010 at 06:34 PM   #1
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

Best Nintendo games of all time?
I'm only saying best Nintendo game of all time because you can't really compare games cross-genre (ie, Halo vs. Zelda, or NHL 11 vs. Donkey Kong). But my friend just asked me what I thought the 10 greatest Nintendo games were of all time (yeah, I have nerdy friends), and here's my list -- of games that are specifically Nintendo.

10. Metroid Prime 2
9. Super Mario Bros. 3
8. Yoshi's Island
7. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
6. Super Mario 64
5. Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
4. Super Metroid
3. Super Mario RPG
2. Metroid Prime
1. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Old 11-07-2010 at 06:37 PM   #2
KYLB0T

Liked: 130 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcars View Post
8. Yoshi's Island
I love that game. Played it so much on my snes when I was little. I love how there are the flowers and red coins to collect, gives the game lots of challenge.

The snes is general is so awesome.

Jeger likes this.
Old 11-07-2010 at 06:39 PM   #3
...?!
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 76 Times

Never tried Paper Mario?
Old 11-07-2010 at 06:40 PM   #4
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
I'm only saying best Nintendo game of all time because you can't really compare games cross-genre (ie, Halo vs. Zelda, or NHL 11 vs. Donkey Kong). But my friend just asked me what I thought the 10 greatest Nintendo games were of all time (yeah, I have nerdy friends), and here's my list -- of games that are specifically Nintendo.

10. Metroid Prime 2
9. Super Mario Bros. 3
8. Yoshi's Island
7. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
6. Super Mario 64
5. Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
4. Super Metroid
3. Super Mario RPG
2. Metroid Prime
1. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The list needs more mario games

1. LoZ:OoT
2. Super Mario World
3. Super Mario 64
4. LoZ:aLttP
5. Super Mario Bros. 3
6. Super Metriod
7. kirby's dreamland
8. Metriod Prime
9. Super Mario Galaxy
10. Super Smash Bros Melee
Old 11-07-2010 at 06:45 PM   #5
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

I won't rank them but:

-All the Paper Marios
-Super Mario Galaxy
-Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

Jeger likes this.
Old 11-07-2010 at 06:46 PM   #6
bcars
Elite Member

I'll admit that I have not played the Paper Mario series or the Super Mario Galaxy series. I've never owned an N64 and Paper Mario doesn't work on my emulator for some reason; and I only recently bought a Wii.

I excluded SSB from the list because it's fun but ... doesn't really have the qualities to be considered one of the greatest games of all time.
Old 11-07-2010 at 06:47 PM   #7
Deegs14
Cogito, ergo sum

Liked: 156 Times

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time deserves to be on every top video game list. Just sayin'

But, honestly. Wheres Golden Eye. That game was amazing. A lot of Rare games are amazing, but Golden Eye is defiently one of their best.

Old 11-07-2010 at 06:48 PM   #8
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

Where Is Paper Mario!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

...?! likes this.
Old 11-07-2010 at 06:48 PM   #9
bcars
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHEDDENITE View Post
Where Is Paper Mario!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
Read my last post.
Old 11-07-2010 at 06:49 PM   #10
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
I excluded SSB from the list because it's fun but ... doesn't really have the qualities to be considered one of the greatest games of all time.
Can you explain that?
Melee has tight gameplay, it's fun, it's one of the most accessible fighters I've ever played, and it's got enough depth to nurture a huge competitive community. I can't see any reason not to consider Melee on of the best games ever made by Nintendo...

bloodywarz likes this.
Old 11-07-2010 at 06:51 PM   #11
bcars
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
Can you explain that?
Melee has tight gameplay, it's fun, it's one of the most accessible fighters I've ever played, and it's got enough depth to nurture a huge competitive community. I can't see any reason not to consider Melee on of the best games ever made by Nintendo...
Because it has zero story whatsoever. Don't get me wrong I think it's amazing, I just have difficulty putting a game like that ahead of the 10 games I have there since they all have some kind of story to them.
Old 11-07-2010 at 06:53 PM   #12
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
I'm only saying best Nintendo game of all time because you can't really compare games cross-genre (ie, Halo vs. Zelda, or NHL 11 vs. Donkey Kong)
lolwut

1. With respect to not being able to compare games "cross-genre", I'm pretty sure "Nintendo" isn't a genre.

2. I think you can compare games "cross-genre". Just think of which you enjoy more in a general sense.

3. By "Nintendo game", I'm assuming you mean games Nintendo developed, not simply games for their consoles, based on your list.

...Nitpicking aside, my list would probably look something like...

1. Mother 3
2. Super Mario RPG
3. Super Smash Bros. (series)
4. Pokemon G/S/C
5. Earthbound
6. Paper Mario
7. Kirby Super Star
8. SMW2: Yoshi's Island
9. Super Metroid
10. LoZ: A Link to the Past

I <3 the RPGs.

Srsly, if you haven't played Mother 3, then play it. Lucas is so much more than a Ness clone if you're one of those who only knows him from Brawl.

(Play Earthbound first though.)

Quote:
Because it has zero story whatsoever. Don't get me wrong I think it's amazing, I just have difficulty putting a game like that ahead of the 10 games I have there since they all have some kind of story to them.
There are plenty who will vehemently defend their opinion that Tetris is the best game ever.

Also, does any one really give a shit about the story in earlier Mario games? It's not like Bowser (or his seven kids that aren't Bowser Jr., for that matter) were ever really developed.

Don't get me wrong; as an RPG fan, I think a story can make or break a game, but I don't think it's necessary for a game to be considered "good". Other examples: Mario Kart, Mario Party, etc.

Last edited by Entropy : 11-07-2010 at 06:57 PM.
Old 11-07-2010 at 06:54 PM   #13
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
That's like saying Counter-Strike can't be in the top 100 FPS games because it has no story, when it's clearly the greatest FPS on PC ever.

Secondly,

Perfect Dark and GoldenEye...greatest Rare games on the Nintendo. Super Smash Bros Melee. Metroid Prime.
Old 11-07-2010 at 06:55 PM   #14
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
The only Nintendo games that have a story that's worth paying attention to are the Legend of Zelda games and even in most of those the stories are quite weak. The best gaming narratives have never come from Nintendo games, Nintendo has always just had really fun/solid gameplay.
Old 11-07-2010 at 06:56 PM   #15
bcars
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
That's like saying Counter-Strike can't be in the top 100 FPS games because it has no story, when it's clearly the greatest FPS on PC ever.

Secondly,

Perfect Dark and GoldenEye...greatest Rare games on the Nintendo. Super Smash Bros Melee. Metroid Prime.
Okay but that's a different comparison though. First Person Shooters is a different bucket o' beans, because it's acceptable for an FPS to lack a storyline. Same thing would apply if you were to rank SSB in a list of greatest fighters of all time.

This is simply my opinion; and when I consider games to be "great" story is one of the factors I find important.