MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Time Wasting Computer Games... britb Gaming 45 05-08-2010 04:48 PM
It's that time of year again: Daylight Savings Time! manu MacInsiders Announcements 5 03-14-2010 03:47 AM
HSR bus pass -full time /part time student macculkin General Discussion 9 04-20-2009 06:45 PM
First MLC dota games Omas Gaming 6 10-30-2008 08:43 AM
Nintendo DS used games ayinaim General Discussion 2 02-11-2008 09:14 PM

Best Nintendo games of all time?

Old 11-23-2010 at 02:43 AM   #61
Moh2in

Liked: 8 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
lolwut

1. With respect to not being able to compare games "cross-genre", I'm pretty sure "Nintendo" isn't a genre.

2. I think you can compare games "cross-genre". Just think of which you enjoy more in a general sense.

3. By "Nintendo game", I'm assuming you mean games Nintendo developed, not simply games for their consoles, based on your list.

...Nitpicking aside, my list would probably look something like...

1. Mother 3
2. Super Mario RPG
3. Super Smash Bros. (series)
4. Pokemon G/S/C
5. Earthbound
6. Paper Mario
7. Kirby Super Star
8. SMW2: Yoshi's Island
9. Super Metroid
10. LoZ: A Link to the Past

I <3 the RPGs.

Srsly, if you haven't played Mother 3, then play it. Lucas is so much more than a Ness clone if you're one of those who only knows him from Brawl.

(Play Earthbound first though.)

There are plenty who will vehemently defend their opinion that Tetris is the best game ever.

Also, does any one really give a shit about the story in earlier Mario games? It's not like Bowser (or his seven kids that aren't Bowser Jr., for that matter) were ever really developed.

Don't get me wrong; as an RPG fan, I think a story can make or break a game, but I don't think it's necessary for a game to be considered "good". Other examples: Mario Kart, Mario Party, etc.

dude hes high go easy on him plz
Old 11-23-2010 at 08:21 AM   #62
Freija
Elite Member

Liked: 384 Times

whos high?
protip: its me
Old 11-23-2010 at 09:44 AM   #63
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freija View Post
whos high?
protip: its me
Not me.

share pls?
Old 11-23-2010 at 12:32 PM   #64
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I'd rank my top 10, but I'd end up just listing like 8 Zeldas, then making some ridiculous decision regarding the rest. I never understood top 10 lists...can't this simply be a discussion of excellent Nintendo games? All we're doing is forming a collection of excellent games we've played, then making an arbitrary decision regarding which is 'better' than which (despite the fact that each game is unique and to some degree, uncomparable).

The only reasonable way to measure how good a game is, is to rank each game as a function of how much time we've sunk into playing it. But even then, we may have played a game for thousands of hours simply trying to beat one aggravating part, and wind up hating the otherwise amazing game (e.g. Castlevania 3)

The problem most people are having in this thread (I'm speaking specifically in regards to the disagreements) is a lack of perspective. Now I'm not here to point fingers, but remember that what you consider to be a good storyline, or a bad one, may be arguable (and in most cases, it is). Remember that your decisions are to an extent, arbitrary.

-I loved the Final Fantasy games. Such an epic beginning to a great franchise.

-Earthbound has one of the most epic power ups ever seen in a video game (to anyone who's played, I simply need to say "Ness's Nightmare in Magicant" and you'll know what I'm talking about). Epic final boss as well. I haven't played Mother 3, but I want to.

-The Zelda franchise gives the perfect combination of story, cool gadgets and puzzles. One of the most frequently overlooked parts of the series is the Oracle of Ages/Seasons storyline. How epic is that, you finish one game, get a password, plug it into the other and change the game's events to reflect completion of the other? You have to essentially play each game 3x, Ages-Seasons-Ages, and then Seasons-Ages-Seasons...and it didn't get boring.

-Goldeneye, Banjo Kazooie/Tooie and Perfect Dark = Rare is a contendor

-Starcraft 64?? I think most people would say that's a damn good game...(Not as good as the PC version, but still)

-Super Mario RPG/Paper Mario are also good, despite being a bit 'easy.' I loved the concept of mixing Mario with an RPG (e.g. getting a pre-emptive attack by hopping on your enemy on the world map, hitting blocks instead of opening treasure chests, collecting coins)

- Smash Bros has stolen countless hours from my life, haha.

-The Metroid Prime series...nuff said.

That's all I can think of atm (though I'm sure there are way more)...maybe I've made my point. Can I pick just 10?
Old 11-24-2010 at 06:43 AM   #65
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

I had never even heard of StarCraft 64 until now :o I can't even imagine playing that on the N64 controller, must have been ridiculously difficult.
Old 12-09-2010 at 05:09 AM   #66
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
This game was the bane of my existence when I was 7. I hated it so much because of how difficult I found it.
I bet if you played it now it would be so easy, you would actually like it.
Old 12-09-2010 at 09:11 AM   #67
mk90

Liked: 42 Times

Ocarina of Mother-Effin' Time. Hands down.
It was THE bomb.
Old 12-10-2010 at 11:14 PM   #68
Kailoli

Liked: 10 Times

All the LoZ games (especially Ocarina, Majora, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, A LINK TO THE PAST (first game I ever played) LoZ 1, Link's Awakening, Adventure of Link.... yeah....all of them), Super Mario World, Super Mario 3, Yoshi's Island/Story, The Lion King, Tetris, Mario RPG, Mario 64, Star Fox 64, Kirby, F-Zero, Mega Man, Castlevania, Mortal Kombat, Battletoads, Contra, Super Smash Bros/Melee/Brawl, Super Mario Galaxy/2...

and I know this is Ninty only, but I have to give a shout out to Devil May Cry, that game (especially the third) blows my mind
Old 12-11-2010 at 12:10 AM   #69
fred

Liked: 19 Times

most of my favorite nintendo games have already been named... but has nobody played tales of symphonia? :o

i also really enjoyed final fantasy tactics advance

camais likes this.
Old 12-11-2010 at 12:37 AM   #70
camais

Liked: 30 Times

nobody mentioned golden sun either...
Old 12-11-2010 at 01:07 AM   #71
fred

Liked: 19 Times

oh yeah i cant believe i forgot about golden sun, both of them were amazing
Old 12-11-2010 at 09:39 PM   #72
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

paper mario needs to be there. perfect dark? Super smash 2?
Old 12-18-2010 at 06:16 AM   #73
mattatmac
the heartbreak kid

Liked: 71 Times

If we're talking just "Nintendo" games then that means i can talk about the Gameboy!

Definitely Pokemon Yellow and Crystal should be mentioned as they're nostalgic gold.

I'd definitely say Pokemon Snap for the N64 too, that was probably the most fun i had taking photo's especially considering that they partnered with Blockbuster so you could print off your stuff, which was siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick .
Old 01-12-2011 at 11:54 AM   #74
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

SPYRO!!! I think that was Nintendo. Not sure. Clearly I rarely play video games. I think I was 13 when I played last.

EDIT: Wait, wait, Playstation. Nevermind.