MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
any place on campus to watch movie on a projector? Phantom Movies & Television 6 07-03-2013 01:19 PM
Help finding a place off-campus Alexmahone Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 16 05-13-2013 05:40 PM
Titles/TANK the worst place on campus arjunbhaga Academics 20 09-25-2012 04:15 PM
Emergency exercise to take place on campus May 3 Daily News General Discussion 9 04-26-2011 11:57 AM
Best Place To Print Colour On Campus? Desda General Discussion 11 03-27-2011 10:02 AM

Best place to buy groceries near campus?

Old 08-01-2013 at 09:26 AM   #16
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Cost is overrated. It's all about the convenience. Just go to Fortinos and you can even pick some things up at Shoppers right across campus on your way home now. 2 years ago Shoppers had good Kleenex sales, 50 cents a box.
Old 08-01-2013 at 10:46 AM   #17
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 126 Times

If you're looking to save money on groceries you can:

1) get a Costco membership, it's not a long trip on the 5 to get there.
2) take the 1A to the No Frills the other side of downtown on Main Street.
3) visit Metro (and Fortinos to a lesser degree) just after dinner time and stock up on the produce they've just put on the clearance racks.
4) stick to the places at the farmer's market that don't sell things like pineapples.

oldviking likes this.
Old 08-01-2013 at 12:30 PM   #18
ricechrispy

Liked: 9 Times

As I posted about before, this is a place really close by to West Village Suites, and I heard it was considerably cheaper than Fortinos.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fidde...63828676991956

Haven't been there yet, but its on my summer to-do list!
Old 08-01-2013 at 09:54 PM   #19
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Fortino's is also a much better place to buy specialty foods; I find they have a greater range of organic, gluten free, dairy free, nut free, vegan options than in Metro and they also have a whole aisle of Kosher foods (including Kosher meats). I'm not sure if Metro carries Kosher as I don't remember seeing it there, but I find Fortino's more than enough for all the groceries I need

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

ashleighp likes this.
Old 08-22-2013 at 01:30 PM   #20
Katia
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 36 Times

The Fiddes place is definitely cheaper. Its only produce and there are no prices. It is open from 10-3 to the public so the hours are also a bit short.
The way it works is you fill up your cart with whatever you need then the guy at the front looks at it and gives you a price.
I make a lot of fresh juices so I stock up on fruits, kale, spinach, beets and all that stuff and usually pay about 25-30$ for 3 full bags of food.