MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting Around In Hamilton Ish001 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 09-25-2010 08:36 PM
What's Hamilton really like?! amitoj First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 52 07-26-2010 07:24 AM
Hamilton Hive Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 06-10-2010 08:43 AM
G test - Hamilton Mac12 Automotive & Transportation 18 05-13-2010 07:07 PM
Hamilton Goce General Discussion 25 07-08-2009 04:02 PM

Best Waterfall in Hamilton

Old 07-29-2010 at 02:22 AM   #1
Starry

Liked: 0 Times

Best Waterfall in Hamilton
Hi, I am from Toronto and I was wondering what the most acessible or best waterfall is in Hamilton. I don't drive so I would be getting there either by bus or taxi, so yeah the best waterfall taking this into consideration. Thanks a lot!
Old 07-29-2010 at 03:18 PM   #2
Phillykae

Websters/dundas falls from my experience. I'm from Toronto too so I'm not too sure if that's the closest or most accessible. But it's a really nice place to visit
Old 07-29-2010 at 04:28 PM   #3
drex

Liked: Liked 4 Times

balls falls
Old 07-29-2010 at 04:44 PM   #4
Phillykae

That's such an engineer answer
Old 07-29-2010 at 07:10 PM   #5
drex

Liked: Liked 4 Times

yea, i like mainly for the name...
but its a nice place, i guess it would be long taxi ride though (under an hour)
Old 07-29-2010 at 11:16 PM   #6
soltintal

Liked: 38 Times

the waterfall closest to mac is probably tiffany falls. it's about halfway up hwy 2 (aka the end of main st. w. that goes up to ancaster). it's more or less across from the harper's garden centre.

you could walk there from mac in about 40 minutes or it's right on the number 5 bus line, less than 10 min. taxi drive.

the falls are only about a 2 minute walk in off the road and the falls are small but pretty.

further up the hill from there (15 min taxi ride - wouldn't recommend bus or walking) - is the canterbury hills falls. there are 2 there actually. it's off of old ancaster/dundas rd. if you walk straight into the woods there's one (there are marked trails). if you feel like more of a hike, you can take the trail to the right and after about a 20 minute walk, there's a smaller one.

webster's falls is a really pretty one too and one of the largest in terms of water volume, but just down the road from it is tew's falls. if you're going to go there, i would suggest taking a taxi to websters. (15 min drive) when you're done looking at it, go back to where the parking lot is and take a nice wooded path to the left - this will take you over to the tew's falls one (a high but skinny falls).

i don't know how much to like to hike, but at the same area is a trail out to dundas peak which is a beautiful view at the edge of the escarpment that looks east over dundas and hamilton. on a clear day you can even see out over hamilton harbour in the distance. a lot of local people really like to do this in the fall when the trees have changed colour.

Last edited by soltintal : 07-29-2010 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-30-2010 at 02:47 PM   #7
amliu

Liked: 1 Time

Best Waterfalls:
Directions relative to campus:
-East: Albion Falls, Devil's Punchbowl Falls, Felker's Falls (Albion is my favourite) (At the cross at Devil's Punchbowl, if the day is clear, you can get a great view of the GTA)
-South: Cliffview Falls, Chedoke Falls (It's hard to get to the bottom of these two and there isn't a good view from the top)
-West: Webster's Falls, Tew's Falls, Tiffany Falls, Great Falls, Borer's Falls, Sherman Falls (Being at the bottom of Tew's Falls is amazing!)

Tips:
-For best waterflow, go in the spring or after rainfall (rain makes a huge difference)
-Going in the winter is fun too
-Wear sandals and clothes you don't mind getting dirty
-Taking a shower in the waterfalls during a hot day is one of the best feelings you can experience
-Some of the waterfalls are really hard to find so use the online waterfall guides and Google Maps satellite view to make sure you know how to get there
-For pictures, go on a sunny day with clouds, after dawn, or before dusk
-If you're driving, many of the parking lots have a ridiculous parking fee

I've been to 15 of the "top 16" waterfalls in Hamilton (I haven't been to Progreston) plus a few others so if you have questions, you can message me

Patrick.O says thanks to amliu for this post.