MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mcmaster during Winter turbozee General Discussion 18 10-19-2010 08:45 PM
What dont you like about biking camais General Discussion 23 02-08-2010 03:47 PM
Winter Exchange! wongywj First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 09-12-2009 11:51 AM
Biking At MAC Infinity General Discussion 5 06-09-2009 03:21 PM
Summer Biking: The wonders of MacCycle Chad MSU & On-Campus Services 0 05-18-2008 05:01 PM

Biking in winter?

Old 01-21-2011 at 03:05 PM   #1
Lessica

Liked: 13 Times

Biking in winter?
Does anybody here bike to school during the winter? How much longer does it take than it would in the fall/spring? Would you say it's feasible for a fairly inexperienced cyclist?

I'm asking because biking is apparently the fastest way to get to school from the house I'm going to be living at next year (the bus route goes in a kind of roundabout way). Any information would be much appreciated!
Old 01-21-2011 at 03:12 PM   #2
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

I saw someone bike to school today. I think you should give it a try.
Old 01-21-2011 at 03:35 PM   #3
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

I have to bike to work (at the Mac Pool) in the mornings cuz the buses havent started yet by the time i need to get there. It doesnt take any longer than normal. Its perfectly feasible. Just make sure you wear warm clothing, and it will get wet, slushy, and salty.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 01-21-2011 at 03:39 PM   #4
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessica View Post
Does anybody here bike to school during the winter? How much longer does it take than it would in the fall/spring? Would you say it's feasible for a fairly inexperienced cyclist?

I'm asking because biking is apparently the fastest way to get to school from the house I'm going to be living at next year (the bus route goes in a kind of roundabout way). Any information would be much appreciated!
One of my housemates bikes to school despite the fact that we live three minutes off campus. He said biking in this weather takes maybe a minute or two longer than in did last term, and even that's really only on days when it's snowed a lot and the roads are slushy. I've seen him fall a couple times in the Fall, so I'd say he's a pretty inexperienced cyclist and therefore you can take his word for it.
Old 01-21-2011 at 03:43 PM   #5
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 815 Times

I heard biking in the snow makes funny noises.

*splosh* *splish* *gooshhh*

mcmasterrrrr likes this.
Old 01-21-2011 at 04:39 PM   #6
killza

Liked: 105 Times

I always bike to school, it practices my balance in the winter
Old 01-21-2011 at 04:41 PM   #7
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Really dumb, I don't advise it if you have to travel any distance. >30 mins

My head and hands are the only things that matter to me being exposed (they get really cold) and both of these things are compromised if you want to be safe (helmet, and unencumberd hands).

If you've got a straight shot along a bike route, to a bus stop (and ride the bus from there), or just on main roads that are cleared & salted & etc, then you might want to try it out.

edit: mind you, a lot of students aren't very safe when riding, so maybe you could pull it off if you don't care about incurring a head trauma

Last edited by RyanC : 01-21-2011 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-21-2011 at 05:21 PM   #8
jajas
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 49 Times

I bike to school everyday, whether the sun shines, whether the skies rain or whether it snows. I don't care about how cold it is. I would much rather endure the cold weather than have to stand in a bus full of people where it smells like poop and full of bacteria. You are also not guaranteed that the bus will stop.

You just have to make sure you have a good rear fender, good breaks and lubricate your bike more often because the salt will kill it. It is a mode of transportation way faster than the bus. I usually beat the bus hands down over the same distance traveled.
Old 01-21-2011 at 05:50 PM   #9
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajas View Post
I bike to school everyday, whether the sun shines, whether the skies rain or whether it snows. I don't care about how cold it is. I would much rather endure the cold weather than have to stand in a bus full of people where it smells like poop and full of bacteria. You are also not guaranteed that the bus will stop.

You just have to make sure you have a good rear fender, good breaks and lubricate your bike more often because the salt will kill it. It is a mode of transportation way faster than the bus. I usually beat the bus hands down over the same distance traveled.
I agree with your second paragraph, but the first is just stupid.
Where do you bike from? How often do ya lube? (lol)
I've always been concerned about maintenance during the winter because of what the cold would do to my gears.. maybe I'll give it another go tomorrow just for fun.

i hate cold i hate cold i hate cold
Old 01-21-2011 at 07:26 PM   #10
camais

Liked: 30 Times

get something to keep your face warm. on monday it felt as if my face would chip off...
Old 01-21-2011 at 10:01 PM   #11
Lessica

Liked: 13 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Really dumb, I don't advise it if you have to travel any distance. >30 mins

My head and hands are the only things that matter to me being exposed (they get really cold) and both of these things are compromised if you want to be safe (helmet, and unencumberd hands).

If you've got a straight shot along a bike route, to a bus stop (and ride the bus from there), or just on main roads that are cleared & salted & etc, then you might want to try it out.

edit: mind you, a lot of students aren't very safe when riding, so maybe you could pull it off if you don't care about incurring a head trauma
It's not nearly that far - according to Google Maps, it's 6 minutes by bike. I'm assuming that's in good conditions and without having to worry about other traffic, but hopefully I'd be able to get to school before freezing to death.
Old 01-21-2011 at 11:49 PM   #12
jajas
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
I agree with your second paragraph, but the first is just stupid.
Where do you bike from? How often do ya lube? (lol)
I've always been concerned about maintenance during the winter because of what the cold would do to my gears.. maybe I'll give it another go tomorrow just for fun.

i hate cold i hate cold i hate cold
The first paragraph is true. All those people in a confined space, you are more likely to get sick.

I am taking good care of my bike right now because in the spring what I usually do is take it all apart and pretty much rebuild or repair some stuff.

If you clean the chain and sprocket and re-apply lubricant once a week should be good enough. If you have fat tires its easier to bike than a road bike. and by fat I do mean at least 1.95 inches.
Old 01-22-2011 at 01:27 AM   #13
m0ns13ur

Liked: 2 Times

I mostly bike to school in these conditions too. Haven't been maintaining the bike as much as I should, and the last two days, my gears froze over. I was literally stuck in second gear the entire time to school. Still, only took a minute more than it would with interchangeable gears. Half the time it takes to walk. Once I get a chance to take this thing back home (not Hamilton), I'll be doing a full cleanout, fixing stuff, and taking care of it, but even under its rusty messed up condition, it beats walking for sure. And it's pretty safe no matter what bike you use, long as your brakes aren't dead.
Old 01-22-2011 at 06:44 PM   #14
Rubicon

Liked: 9 Times

If you ride disk, or fixed, you can even zip tie your wheels for better traction! Otherwise its not too hard, just go about the same way you'd drive, go easy on the brakes and corners
Old 01-22-2011 at 06:51 PM   #15
jajas
Account Disabled by User

Listen to what these guys have said and you won't have an issue. If you have disk brakes they work better in wet weather because you don't get as much water on them.

For the best traction you can get a pair of these studded tires