MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mcmaster during Winter turbozee General Discussion 18 10-19-2010 08:45 PM
What dont you like about biking camais General Discussion 23 02-08-2010 03:47 PM
Winter Exchange! wongywj First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 09-12-2009 11:51 AM
Biking At MAC Infinity General Discussion 5 06-09-2009 03:21 PM
Summer Biking: The wonders of MacCycle Chad MSU & On-Campus Services 0 05-18-2008 05:01 PM

Biking in winter?

Old 01-22-2011 at 08:58 PM   #16
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajas View Post
Listen to what these guys have said and you won't have an issue. If you have disk brakes they work better in wet weather because you don't get as much water on them.

For the best traction you can get a pair of these studded tires

Ugh, another pair of tires to set me back monies... are they any good during the year or would they wear down in dry weather.

And the buses arn't that nasty; very rarely do I get super packed in!
The crazies/nasties population don't seem to ride the 51/5a/5c/etc as much as they used to..
Old 01-22-2011 at 09:53 PM   #17
jajas
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 49 Times

I never used these tires but they are definitely good. I looked up some videos and reviews about them. They cost a lot though you are looking at about $50 per tire minimum and you could get top end ones for about $100 probably. i can see them wearing down if you use them in dry weather so I would rather have 2 sets dry and wet. But no I am not going to buy them. They look too expensive right now but I can definitely see myself buying a pair when I have $200 to blow on tires.
Old 01-23-2011 at 12:31 AM   #18
Joey

Liked: 17 Times

So my father all but stole my bike after the first snowfall to prevent me from riding to school for safety reasons. It was less about my ability and more about other vehicles.

Even if I did bike again this winter I don't think I would use my nice bike again. I have a couple of friends that bike in the winters and they have a bike for slush and a bike for everything else.

Personally I would make sure you have a wheel cover on your tires and might even suggest a backpack cover to prevent you from coming to school soaking wet.

Also, try to get most of the slush out of moving parts when you get to school. There was a day last winter when I finished class and the slush I had left on my back tire had frozen. It was bad news. I keep a rag around on really wet days even in the spring just for a quick wipe down.