MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should I take Bio 2b03 or 2c03? SandraM Academics 5 09-16-2010 03:59 PM
Psych 2aa3, 2ap3, 2b03, 2c03 BDiplock63 Academics 27 06-16-2010 06:34 AM
Reviews for Envir Sci 2C03, 2W03 and 2B03 shirvan05 Academics 4 06-11-2009 11:11 PM
Humanities 2C03/Intoto Logic 2B03 Goce Academics 6 06-18-2008 07:18 PM

BIO 2A03, 2B03, 2C03... what were they like??

Old 07-03-2009 at 09:31 AM   #31
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Campos didn't really follow her own lecture notes. And her lectures felt like a huge run on sentence. I found it really hard to pay attention in class and more importantly focus on the key parts of the lecture.

I think I went to two of her lectures, I'm really surprised I did decently in that class =p.
Old 07-03-2009 at 10:36 AM   #32
batman

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by chugaucon View Post
Agree, Dudley is not a bad prof at all and she's actually very nice. The wordings on her tests are sometimes confusing but they are very straight forward.
Hmm, it seems like its probably just me.

I probably had an unrepresentatively bad experience in Bio 1st year....
Old 07-03-2009 at 10:36 AM   #33
batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus View Post
Campos didn't really follow her own lecture notes. And her lectures felt like a huge run on sentence. I found it really hard to pay attention in class and more importantly focus on the key parts of the lecture.

I think I went to two of her lectures, I'm really surprised I did decently in that class =p.
She was basically just reading out of the textbook which helped for studying. I would read the textbook and hear sentences she had said.
Old 07-12-2009 at 02:46 AM   #34
veena_vd

Liked: 2 Times

can some one comment on the labs in 2EE3 and 2a03?
thx

bigmac likes this.
Old 07-12-2009 at 09:52 AM   #35
batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by veena_vd View Post
can some one comment on the labs in 2EE3 and 2a03?
thx
Didn't take 2EE3, but for 2A03, the labs were, a little bit annoying. 3 Informal, 2 Formal Labs I believe (maybe its reversed). First lab was a 'dry' lab, you just calculated your calories that you were eating things like that. There was a lab where you got to run an EKG on yourself, there was one where you measured the metabolic rate of mice, etc. There was one though, that you just kinda copyed answers out of the textbook.

The in-lab parts were fun (generally), but the writeups were usually pretty annoying to get through, they didn't specify what they wanted, and were relatively long. The biggest problem was the marking though. At least for me, my TA seemed to just arbitrarily assign a mark, to the lab, no comments, no marks inside the paper, just an arbitrary mark on the top, with no comments as to how to improve. When I asked her, she just said ' do better', which clearly, doesn't help. However, they didn't mark too hard, as even when you got this kind of thing, you were still doing okay in the labs.

bigmac, sinthusized all say thanks to batman for this post.
Old 07-12-2009 at 08:10 PM   #36
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

2EE3 labs were mainly all formal labs where you would do various experiments with bacteria and such. The labs themselves were very easy butthe write ups took a little time. This is because they required you to find background information for your introduction and have academic references.

2A03 labs were similar in that you were also required to write formal labs occasionally. The labs themselves were not so well directed and as a result, most people did not obtain spectacular marks in labs.

bigmac, jhan523, sinthusized all say thanks to Fight0 for this post.
Old 07-17-2009 at 04:26 AM   #37
aa84

Liked: 0 Times

Any comments on prof. IGDOURA teaching bio 2b03 in term 2?
Old 07-17-2009 at 08:29 AM   #38
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

... does dr dudley handwrite on the black board/overhead or something? I thought bio lectures were mostly powerpoint.
Old 07-17-2009 at 08:39 AM   #39
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa84 View Post
Any comments on prof. IGDOURA teaching bio 2b03 in term 2?
seconded
Old 07-17-2009 at 08:46 AM   #40
Fight0
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinthusized View Post
... does dr dudley handwrite on the black board/overhead or something? I thought bio lectures were mostly powerpoint.

She mostly uses an overhead. You'll have to take decent notes.

sinthusized says thanks to Fight0 for this post.
Old 07-23-2009 at 02:02 PM   #41
katesaidhi

Liked: 3 Times

Bio 2C03

Hey guys! I just finished taking this course in the first summer term of 2009. Luckily, I was fortunate enough to be taught solely by Dr Dej, who has officially become my favourite professor in all faculties of McMaster. I attribute this phenomenon to the fact that she was hired as a teaching professor, not a research professor.
In high school, I was never too keen on genetics and I didn't give a crap about Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium theory. The good thing is that they've decided to rework this course to include more about population genetics in an entirely digestible way as well as some neat stuff about genetic anomalies.

Who else hates Ray Proqwat? Word. That man can make a grown man cry like he's been hit in the face with tear gas just for bringing a mis-marked test to him. The tutorials that Ray designed had absolutely NOTHING to do with the course lectures, which made tutorials themselves 2 hours of pain and torture. My incompetant TA smirked when I asked questions and directed me to passages of the textbook that didn't have anything to do with topics being covered.

I really enjoyed the tests, but the exam was a son-of-a and I wasn't sure that I had passed it at ALL. I ended up drawing a wizard on my exam paper instead of answering one of the questions because I had absolutely no idea. The mark I got made me suspicious that they had bell-curved the class average.

Overall, for some reason, everything that I learned in this class simply STUCK with me, which rarely ever happens. I find myself able to recall concepts on a whim and use them as conversation topics with my nerd pals. This class is terribly useful and I've already found tons of applications for the knowledge that I've gained!

A word of warning: Genetics with Dr Dej, and you won't cry
Genetics with Dr Dudley, things might get ugly...

jhan523 says thanks to katesaidhi for this post.
Old 07-23-2009 at 02:08 PM   #42
Fight0
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katesaidhi View Post
Bio 2C03

Who else hates Ray Proqwat? Word.
You must be kidding. Ray is the man, nicest IA I have ever had. He told me I was a good student and helped me through some of the more difficult questions on the assignments.

But you're right about Dej, she's the best. She lent me a textbook when the Tank had sold out
Old 07-23-2009 at 02:18 PM   #43
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by katesaidhi View Post
Bio 2C03

A word of warning: Genetics with Dr Dej, and you won't cry
Genetics with Dr Dudley, things might get ugly...

Lol! Seriously though? :S I haven't had Dudley yet... (PS good hint to how to pronounce her name.. I though it was like "dedge" before the class.)

Dr Dej is my favourite prof by far. I'm taking cell bio with her now and in all honestly after Bio 1A03, I thought I was just not a cell bio person but everyone in the class, including myself, are generally understanding everything pretty well. They have revamped Bio 2B03 a bit, I will write a review on it as soon as I've done the course (in two weeks).
Old 07-23-2009 at 02:22 PM   #44
Fight0
Elite Member

Dudley isn't a bad prof, just her notes are very, very bad.
Old 07-23-2009 at 02:29 PM   #45
katesaidhi

Liked: 3 Times

Dr Dudley is a wonderful, warm and compassionate human being.
However, she doesn't have the patience or the time to show this when we are first introduced to her in first year Bio. I find that she keeps getting these classes assigned to her (3SS3, 2C03) that have little to do with her background, which is, surprisingly, as a Biological Statician and Mathematician.