MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should I take Bio 2b03 or 2c03? SandraM Academics 5 09-16-2010 03:59 PM
Psych 2aa3, 2ap3, 2b03, 2c03 BDiplock63 Academics 27 06-16-2010 06:34 AM
Reviews for Envir Sci 2C03, 2W03 and 2B03 shirvan05 Academics 4 06-11-2009 11:11 PM
Humanities 2C03/Intoto Logic 2B03 Goce Academics 6 06-18-2008 07:18 PM

BIO 2A03, 2B03, 2C03... what were they like??

Old 07-23-2009 at 08:50 PM   #46
Harlequin

Liked: 35 Times

I have to take Genetics with Dudley! What are her tests like?
Old 07-23-2009 at 09:02 PM   #47
ladyh

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fight0 View Post
You must be kidding. Ray is the man, nicest IA I have ever had. He told me I was a good student and helped me through some of the more difficult questions on the assignments.

But you're right about Dej, she's the best. She lent me a textbook when the Tank had sold out

I completely agree. Ray is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! I wanted to bring him a card or something when 2A03 was over, cause I had him for 2C03 and 2A03. He actually remembers what it's like to be a student and understands when you hand stuff in late, etc. He also has caught on with how a ton of people tend to defer things when tehy aren't actually sick though haha. When Wilson was bitching about how stupid the class was after the second midterm, Ray was overheard defending us!! I think when you go to him you have to go with the right attitude and learn to deal with his dry humour / sarcastic remarks lol. His responses on LearnLink are also pretty entertaining sometimes.
Old 08-25-2009 at 01:00 AM   #48
Anaam

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin90 View Post
Well, from first year bio, her tets were straight forward. She puts in application type questions, but they aren't too difficult. For example, for plant biology application question, she just basically put an experiment with one plant getting this wavelength of light. And if you knew the relationship between wavelength and growth, etc, you should have been able to answer the question.

I think she is not that bad. Her class seems all over the place because of her handwriting. Her notes are sufficient though.
Old 08-25-2009 at 07:50 AM   #49
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin90 View Post
Dudley's tests are always very fair.

To be honest (as a fourth year life sci/ecology/enviro sci student) she's one of the best professors in Biology IF she's teaching something she enjoys. Bio 2D03 is an amazing course because she loves the content. I had Population Ecology with her last year (not her course) and it wasn't bad... but that's because she's a math person and Pop Eco is pretty much a math-based course.

She will do her very best to teach 2C03 well... she's a student oriented professor. She does understand genetics (I think any biology professor will), however is she familiar enough with the in-depth material required to teach a course well? I can't say. She's probably doing her research and practicing the material right now though, since she does try very hard to be a good teacher.

Harlequin says thanks to Taunton for this post.
Old 08-25-2009 at 07:53 AM   #50
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
Hmm, it seems like its probably just me.

I probably had an unrepresentatively bad experience in Bio 1st year....
Dudley doesn't like teaching 1st years... at least that's my experience. She was terrible in my first year bio too, but I was SUPER surprized in 2D03 when she was amazing. Again... if it's her course, she loves it. 1st year bio is very regulated in how it's taught, and she doesn't have much control over the material.

Also, first year kids can be really annoying in lecture... very frustrating for a professor who doesn't like screwing around.
Old 08-25-2009 at 09:12 AM   #51
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
To be honest (as a fourth year life sci/ecology/enviro sci student) she's one of the best professors in Biology IF she's teaching something she enjoys. Bio 2D03 is an amazing course because she loves the content. I had Population Ecology with her last year (not her course) and it wasn't bad... but that's because she's a math person and Pop Eco is pretty much a math-based course
I agree completely.

Also Ray is amazing. He can be quite sarcastic on LL, but he's incredibly helpful. And to be honest, I would be annoyed because when people complain about marking errors when they're really not justified (i.e.: trying to get off on technicalities as opposed to actually putting in the right answer) or complaining about 0.5 marks off a test/lab worth 50 marks. That's 1% of a test worth 20-30%. :| I don't blame him.
Old 08-25-2009 at 12:34 PM   #52
Anaam

[quote=Taunton;85467]Dudley's tests are always very fair.
Pop Eco is pretty much a math-based course.
quote]

How is Population Ecology 3SS3? Dushoff is teaching it this year. I am unsure of how difficult it will be with the math? Is the math doable?
Old 08-25-2009 at 12:49 PM   #53
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

[quote=Anaam;85612]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
Dudley's tests are always very fair.
Pop Eco is pretty much a math-based course.
quote]

How is Population Ecology 3SS3? Dushoff is teaching it this year. I am unsure of how difficult it will be with the math? Is the math doable?
I second this request. I doubt it's that bad though, there's no specific math prereqs.
Old 08-25-2009 at 12:54 PM   #54
Taunton
Elite Member

[quote=Fight0;85626]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaam View Post

I second this request. I doubt it's that bad though, there's no specific math prereqs.
It's doable, but you need to do the work, and do practice questions. It would also help to brush up on your calculus.

Anaam, Fight0 all say thanks to Taunton for this post.
Old 08-25-2009 at 01:16 PM   #55
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

I'm glad I didn't sell my calc textbook then.
Old 08-25-2009 at 01:23 PM   #56
Taunton
Elite Member

Also note that I was taught by Dudley... while Population Ecology is a math-based subject anyways, the new prof may teach differently.
Old 08-25-2009 at 03:20 PM   #57
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fight0 View Post
I'm glad I didn't sell my calc textbook then.
Trust me, you don't need it :p.
Old 08-25-2009 at 04:40 PM   #58
Anaam

Well, Dushoff is uber cool from what I can remember from my first year. He is a totally cool nerd.

So that is why I am taking Population Ecology.