MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Retaking Bio 1a03 for second year Bio courses? aw07 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 04-27-2015 03:10 PM
First year math courses Moirre Academics 2 08-08-2014 08:12 AM
3rd/4th year Bio/Mol Bio Courses Angoose Academics 2 03-30-2013 10:01 PM
Math Courses Jake General Discussion 5 07-02-2009 01:12 AM
MATH 1B03 and MATH 1C03; courses and professors Sync Academics 1 06-14-2008 10:50 AM

bio and math courses

Old 06-17-2016 at 05:01 PM   #1
champagnemami

Liked: 0 Times

bio and math courses
is biology 1a03 like grade 12 biology and is it hard? also out of both math 1a03 and 1ls3, which would be easier for someone who sucks in calculus (me)?
Old 06-17-2016 at 06:55 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

There is such a variation between high schools that you may or may not find it similar to grade 12 biology. I found it to be less review (more new material) than chemistry or math 1LS3. Whether or not it's "hard" is subjective.
Math 1LS3 used to be easier, but apparently they've changed the course to make it more similar to 1A03. Probably not much of a difference anymore.
Old 06-17-2016 at 09:26 PM   #3
Imperious

Liked: 27 Times

Ya it depends on what your high school taught. Like for Bio 1A03, I felt like the first half was review and then the second half was new stuff for me but for Chem 1A03 it was all new to me and I remember asking my friends about the stuff and they were all telling me they had already learned this stuff.

The general consensus among people on facebook groups is that 1LS3 is easier than 1A03. If you don't like calculus or aren't good, you should probably just take 1LS3.
Old 06-18-2016 at 08:37 AM   #4
champagnemami

okay!! and apparently the prereq. for bio 1a03 is you have to be in a science program or something and need gr12 bio, i have the credit for gr12 bio but i am in humanities so how would i take the course?
Old 06-18-2016 at 11:51 AM   #5
Imperious

Liked: 27 Times

The listed prerequisite is just Grade 12 Bio but I do know that they always reserve seats for science students and you may run into issues on Mosaic when enrolling where it might give you a message saying "seats are not reserved for you" or something like that.

If that's the case, there's usually a week or so after classes start where you can switch around your classes and in that time period people usually drop or switch out so you can switch in then if you can't enrol during your enrolment appointment. If around that point it's still not letting you switch in then you should contact the science faculty at [email protected]. But obviously, make sure you're checking this stuff out days before the drop/switch deadline.
Old 06-18-2016 at 12:57 PM   #6
champagnemami

i called the academic advisor and she told me that they do reserve seats for the science students so i might not be able to switch into/ take the course right away but i could probably take it in summer but anyways thank you so much!!! xoxo
Old 06-23-2016 at 02:07 PM   #7
Starships2

Liked: 3 Times

1ls3 is supposed to be easier but they keep relating the math back to science. Some people prefer math 1a03 because its just pure math