MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Editing Timetable Questions shay2014 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-12-2010 12:35 PM
Timetable course questions dumbconsumer Academics 3 06-25-2010 10:55 PM
Food/ Meal Plan questions patronized First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 04-24-2010 04:45 PM
A few questions regarding my timetable hyvaa First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-11-2009 10:42 PM
A Few Quick Questions About My Timetable broono3000 Academics 3 08-11-2009 05:56 PM

Bio w/ physio plan+timetable+questi ons

Old 06-11-2011 at 09:33 PM   #16
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier View Post
haha woops i didnt really put in my actual year, i should chage that...maybe later, and yea i hope the bio 3zz3 is just cus its a lighter workload (though on the discription it says lots of guest speakers and stuff) so yea... too bad there arent any 4th years on MI or 3rd that are in physio and would have to take this
I really hope so! I'm taking it this year, so I'll let you know about it afterwards

Chevalier says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 06-11-2011 at 10:12 PM   #17
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
haha woops i didnt really put in my actual year, i should chage that...maybe later, and yea i hope the bio 3zz3 is just cus its a lighter workload (though on the discription it says lots of guest speakers and stuff) so yea... too bad there arent any 4th years on MI or 3rd that are in physio and would have to take this

... but there are.

3ZZ3 is a decent workload. Just keep up with the readings and understand the papers and you should be fine. 2 other years have overloaded and made it out alive =p

~*Sara*~ likes this.
Old 06-11-2011 at 10:26 PM   #18
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lois View Post
... but there are.

3ZZ3 is a decent workload. Just keep up with the readings and understand the papers and you should be fine. 2 other years have overloaded and made it out alive =p
I was hoping you would stumble onto this thread and see the question . Thanks
Old 06-11-2011 at 11:07 PM   #19
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

btw sara what program are oyu in, r u just general bio or bip physio it seems u know a lot about the physio stuff
Old 06-11-2011 at 11:35 PM   #20
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
btw sara what program are oyu in, r u just general bio or bip physio it seems u know a lot about the physio stuff
I'm in Physio actually, but like you said earlier, I haven't actually gotten around to changing it on my page, or it's never come up. Time for a chance I guess

Chevalier likes this.
Old 06-12-2011 at 11:24 AM   #21
Chevalier
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lois View Post
- You can take some 3rd year courses in 4th year. Watch for pre-reqs though. Some people did 3ZZ3 in 4th year, others deferred 3P03 but not advisable if you want to do your thesis in cell physiology. I didn't find 3P03 difficult at all. You don't have to take all the 3rd year courses in the physio list... I definitely didn't take histology, vertebrate anatomy, evolution or 3G03

4th year thesis is 1 year long. I wrote an article here: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=3510 8
hey thats a great article...i just had a few questions about the thesis itself:

- typically how long is the thesis, and what would be its content. ... generally you will be working in the lab of your supervisor and working on their research, so im assuming that the thesis paper will also be based on that the findings of that lab and the research being done in it correct? for some reason in my mind the thesis sounds like a 100 page paper ( probably an exaggeration) but when the scientific papers i have read which are based on research aren't that long really only 10-20 pages sometimes more sometimes less. so what exactly goes into the thesis and how long is it typically. ( also someone on here said that you have to dedicate 15+ hours a week to your thesis, by that did they mean researching and writing it out, or is that the lab work which you mentioned in youir article taking 20+h a week {i dont mind that much lab work but to do 15+ hours of researching and writing a week for the whole year for your thesis seems a bit much})

- also the list of supervisors, im assuming that's just a guideline, so you'll also be able to approach other profs that you may know whose research your interested in to be your supervisor even if they aren't on that list right?

- finally i know in grad school if you do a thesis paper or something of the sort you have to defend it against a panel of profs and such right, do you also have to do that with this thesis?

- ... and thats it for now sorry for making it so long hopefully the questions get through clearly

thanks
Old 06-12-2011 at 11:45 AM   #22
Lois
Elite Member

Quote:
hey thats a great article...i just had a few questions about the thesis itself:

- typically how long is the thesis, and what would be its content. ... generally you will be working in the lab of your supervisor and working on their research, so im assuming that the thesis paper will also be based on that the findings of that lab and the research being done in it correct? for some reason in my mind the thesis sounds like a 100 page paper ( probably an exaggeration) but when the scientific papers i have read which are based on research aren't that long really only 10-20 pages sometimes more sometimes less. so what exactly goes into the thesis and how long is it typically. ( also someone on here said that you have to dedicate 15+ hours a week to your thesis, by that did they mean researching and writing it out, or is that the lab work which you mentioned in youir article taking 20+h a week {i dont mind that much lab work but to do 15+ hours of researching and writing a week for the whole year for your thesis seems a bit much})
It's a year long in duration. I can't remember how long mine was, but it might have been around 40 pages or so? The content is usually based off of what the supervisor suggests, so pick a supervisor who's researching in an area of interest to you. The 15+ hours is a guideline, I spent more than that but that includes writing and lab work. The organization is actually pretty good because you have mid year reports, research proposals due before your final thesis so most of it (except discussion and results) is done by January. Most of your labwork is done by Februrary so you can spend more time writing/reading.

Quote:
- also the list of supervisors, im assuming that's just a guideline, so you'll also be able to approach other profs that you may know whose research your interested in to be your supervisor even if they aren't on that list right?
Yes, you just need approval from Kathy McIntosh. And a co-supervisor from the bio list.

Quote:
- finally i know in grad school if you do a thesis paper or something of the sort you have to defend it against a panel of profs and such right, do you also have to do that with this thesis?
You present it at the Bio Symposium at Mac. It's less intense.

Old 06-12-2011 at 02:50 PM   #23
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Regarding length, I read somewhere that it can go anywhere from 30-80 pages depending on how much time you spent, how much content you have, etc. However, the majority tend to be between 40-60 pages.
Old 06-12-2011 at 03:52 PM   #24
Mohit
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 25 Times

EDIT: nvm...i learned how to read
Old 06-12-2011 at 08:02 PM   #25
Chevalier
Elite Member

mohit ... im curious as to what your q was..

anyways

i was looking over the calender for bio physio and it says physics 1bb3 is 'recommened' what does that word really mean anyways.... for those in the program have you taken it or going to take it and is it of much use? im not really big on physics but i dont mind it either but i dont want to take it unless its going to be of any valid use to me... so just wondering
Old 06-12-2011 at 08:19 PM   #26
Mohit
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 25 Times

Chev...my question was how does the thesis defense work and is it difficult....but i see that its a symposium and its okayish
Old 06-12-2011 at 09:24 PM   #27
Lois
Elite Member

Quote:
mohit ... im curious as to what your q was..

anyways

i was looking over the calender for bio physio and it says physics 1bb3 is 'recommened' what does that word really mean anyways.... for those in the program have you taken it or going to take it and is it of much use? im not really big on physics but i dont mind it either but i dont want to take it unless its going to be of any valid use to me... so just wondering
I took it in the summer, it wasn't really relevant.