MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Editing Timetable Questions shay2014 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-12-2010 12:35 PM
timetable review? + general questions anon491 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-10-2010 09:02 AM
first year course timetable questions/tips Chevalier First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 07-06-2010 06:42 PM
A few questions regarding my timetable hyvaa First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-11-2009 10:42 PM
A Few Quick Questions About My Timetable broono3000 Academics 3 08-11-2009 05:56 PM

Timetable course questions

Old 06-25-2010 at 10:18 PM   #1
dumbconsumer

Liked: 80 Times

Timetable course questions
I was making a preliminary rough timetable to ensure nothing conflicts when i pick courses tomorrow, and i came across this: https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /mtt/... =1X03&t=1&d=D

Why are there 99 core components for PSYCH 1X03? most other courses I came by only have 1-6ish, even the follow up courses PSYCH 1XX3 has only 4.

And a more general question, when it says "Upon enrolling in this course, students will be assigned (Core) (Lab) component(s)." does it mean I won't get to pick my own core components and so forth as they are assigned to me, and if I can't pick them, how do they expect me to do the conflict-free planning i'm advised to do when each course has so many components each with many timeslots.

Thanks in Advance
Old 06-25-2010 at 10:28 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbconsumer View Post
I was making a preliminary rough timetable to ensure nothing conflicts when i pick courses tomorrow, and i came across this: https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /mtt/... =1X03&t=1&d=D

Why are there 99 core components for PSYCH 1X03? most other courses I came by only have 1-6ish, even the follow up courses PSYCH 1XX3 has only 4.

And a more general question, when it says "Upon enrolling in this course, students will be assigned (Core) (Lab) component(s)." does it mean I won't get to pick my own core components and so forth as they are assigned to me, and if I can't pick them, how do they expect me to do the conflict-free planning i'm advised to do when each course has so many components each with many timeslots.

Thanks in Advance
The registrar does its best to minimize conflicts across the entire university. If you do have a conflict you can switch sections when SOLAR reopens in August (I think 11th).
Old 06-25-2010 at 10:52 PM   #3
dumbconsumer

Liked: 80 Times

do i get to specify term? or is that also assigned?
Old 06-25-2010 at 10:55 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbconsumer View Post
do i get to specify term? or is that also assigned?
You can specify the term, that doesn't impact conflicts so the Registrar doesn't have a harder time if they let you pick your term. The reason being is because most courses aren't offered in both terms and if they are they generally have tons of sections.