MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Editing Timetable Questions shay2014 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-12-2010 12:35 PM
timetable review? + general questions anon491 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-10-2010 09:02 AM
Timetable course questions dumbconsumer Academics 3 06-25-2010 10:55 PM
A few questions regarding my timetable hyvaa First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-11-2009 10:42 PM
A Few Quick Questions About My Timetable broono3000 Academics 3 08-11-2009 05:56 PM

first year course timetable questions/tips

Old 07-06-2010 at 04:09 PM   #1
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

first year course timetable questions/tips
hey there so im a first year at mac and im soo confused right now, and especially with this heat i cant think straight, so if you can please help me out here.

1) on the master timetable, there are sections: status comp days times instuructors... so can someone please help me figure this out. for instance lets say u take bio 1a03 here is what the timetable shows you. https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /mtt/... =1A03&t=1&d=D

*under comp they have a whole bunch of different things, co1 lo1 lo2 ... and so on. what do these mean.
* the start and end time and the days. do they mean like for LO1 that the thing is once a week every week, and for the co1 its twice a week every week.
* the instructors, they don't say there which instructor teaches at what time, is there a way to find out so you can get them in their time slot, or do all of them teach on all those time slots

2) in your opinion how long of a gap should there be b/w classes.

3) are there any tip[s when planning the timetable?

and yea thanks sooo much
krupesh
Old 07-06-2010 at 04:30 PM   #2
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

C0X means core. Basically they have many sections of this class since there are too many people to fit it into one, so they split it into different times. Bio 1A03 has two cores during first semester, the first running on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday from 1:30-2:20, the second on Monday and Thursday from 9:30-10:30 and on Tuesday from 10:30 to 11:20.

L0X means lab, and usually they run once every other week. You won't have to pick your lab yet, you'll get assigned one, and if there's room in another lab section that doesn't conflict with your schedule you can change it later on.

I wouldn't worry too much about gaps between classes unless you're commuting, but 10 minutes is definitely enough time to get from one class to the next. A lot of people don't like having one hour break because you can't do much during them before you have to go to your next class. If you are commuting, avoid long breaks between classes.

The biggest tip I could give you right now is not to worry too much about it. Also avoiding Chem labs (or any labs really) on Friday afternoons is a good one, but that isn't something you can change yet.

Hope that helps!
Old 07-06-2010 at 04:34 PM   #3
vkozina

Liked: 6 Times

The c01, l01 mean class and labs, there would also be t which means tutorial. Classes start on the half hour and end around 20 after. Depending on the class you might have 1-3 classes a week per class. In my faculty (humanities) we usually have 1-2 classes and one tutorial/ class a week...maybe a 3 hr night class.

Tips for making a time table... I'd say look at all your options and if any classes and their tutorials or labs conflict, also paying attention to the semester that these classes are in.

Hope this helps =)
Good luck
Old 07-06-2010 at 06:42 PM   #4
AK05

Liked: 0 Times

goodluck