MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
mac meal plan Leeoku First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 09-25-2010 01:20 PM
Meal plan? RomanT First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 05-25-2010 01:57 PM
meal plan p_vun First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 15 10-07-2009 09:45 PM
meal plan/student card and campus food spots Kailoli First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 33 09-03-2009 09:12 PM
meal plan? sarahc First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 08-18-2008 01:59 PM

Food/ Meal Plan questions

Old 04-08-2010 at 07:48 PM   #1
patronized

Liked: 0 Times

Food/ Meal Plan questions
Hey guys,

1) What is the price of food at Mac relative to regular stores? Like at Pizza Pizza for example, a slice of pepperoni pizza is 3 bucks (more or less). What i'm asking is if the slice of pizza would cost the same on campus or if the stores charge more to take advantage of students ?

2) Also, how much would I expect to spend in a day on food on average for lunch and dinner, no snacks. (if I make my own breakfast everyday and I'll be commuting home on weekends)?

3) How much do you guys (living on campus) spend on food/ day or week?

Thanks!
Old 04-08-2010 at 08:16 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by patronized View Post
Hey guys,

1) What is the price of food at Mac relative to regular stores? Like at Pizza Pizza for example, a slice of pepperoni pizza is 3 bucks (more or less). What i'm asking is if the slice of pizza would cost the same on campus or if the stores charge more to take advantage of students ?

2) Also, how much would I expect to spend in a day on food on average for lunch and dinner, no snacks. (if I make my own breakfast everyday and I'll be commuting home on weekends)?

3) How much do you guys (living on campus) spend on food/ day or week?

Thanks!
It depends on each person and how much they actually eat.

hospitality.mcmaster. ca under menu you will be able to find the menu of bridges and bistro. You should keep in mind that these are the most expensive places on campus and that commons is cheaper. (but the prices aren't listed online, or I can't find them anyways).
Old 04-08-2010 at 11:13 PM   #3
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

A slice of pizza in the student centre is about 350

Food... well, if u make breakfast, and only eat lunch, and if ur tired of buying pizza, u can probably get something for about 5-6$
Dinner... if ur on campus for that long, is usually about the same. unless u go to bistro, in which case it'll cost 10$.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 04-08-2010 at 11:42 PM   #4
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

If you're living on campus it's easy to spend $20+ a day on food, though if you skip breakfast, half-ass lunch (Pizza+Pop), and go for a cheap dinner (<$10) you could spend less than $15 a day. If you eat a decent amount and cover all three meals in one day you're looking at >$5 for breakfast, ~$10 for lunch, and >$10 for dinner. Try to go home as much as possible, bring food, snacks and drinks from home, and be conscious of what you're buying if you live on campus and you'll save yourself a lot of money.
Old 04-09-2010 at 12:08 AM   #5
etoilex3

Liked: 65 Times

Yeah, I think the most important thing to do is to be aware of the costs of things, and not just swipe. It may become easy to forget that you are spending money when it's on a card..

That being said, it ultimately comes down to you. If you're extremely health conscious, you'll definitely pay a lot more. Less healthy things, like pizza, tend to be less expensive. Also, it depends on how much you eat and where you eat.
Old 04-09-2010 at 10:30 AM   #6
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

My best advice is to not buy drinks on campus. Like...a bottle of orange juice on campus is around $1.85? I can get a whole carton from Fortinos or Metro for around $2.50-$3.00. That makes the biggest difference imo. Like, I buy tons of snacks and useless junk from commons. Some days I'll spend over $25 just buying literally junk. But I still have close to $300 left on my meal plan. It really just depends on how you eat.
Old 04-09-2010 at 10:12 PM   #7
Kelsey18
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 14 Times

Drinks are for sure the most overpriced things on campus, and healthier foods are also pretty expensive compared to other things. The student centre and Commons aren't too bad, but places like Bridges or Bistro can be pretty pricey by comparison. All of the things people listed above are really good things to keep in mind. Don't be swipe-happy.
Old 04-09-2010 at 10:18 PM   #8
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

I buy like, an apple every day.
Sometimes a pizza/sandwich/hotdog.
Usually about 20$ spent per week.
Off campus for the win.
Old 04-09-2010 at 10:19 PM   #9
Kelsey18
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 14 Times

Haha wow, I think I spend 20 a day.
Old 04-24-2010 at 04:45 PM   #10
Chambini

Liked: Liked 2 Times

I recommend photosynthesis as the cheapest way to meet your caloric requirements.