MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How easy is it to switch from Biomed to Biochem core? gcruz91 Academics 2 07-13-2010 06:05 PM
Honours Molecular Bio and Genetics vs. Honours Biology (Physiology Specialization) kritters91 Academics 4 06-10-2010 07:42 PM
Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics The MACster First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 03-01-2010 07:45 PM
program size of honors molecular biology and genetics? shreya s. General Discussion 2 07-21-2009 01:24 PM
Honours Biology - Genetics Specialization rrtt Academics 0 03-22-2009 01:02 PM

Biochem vs Biomed specialization vs Molecular Genetics

Old 05-29-2010 at 01:12 PM   #1
gcruz91

Liked: 0 Times

Biochem vs Biomed specialization vs Molecular Genetics
So its finally time to pick our second year programs, so i was wondering if anyone currently in these programs (Biochem, Biomed specialization and Molecular Genetics) tell me a bit more about their experiences. What's the program like, what do you like and dislike about it?
Old 05-29-2010 at 02:07 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcruz91 View Post
So its finally time to pick our second year programs, so i was wondering if anyone currently in these programs (Biochem, Biomed specialization and Molecular Genetics) tell me a bit more about their experiences. What's the program like, what do you like and dislike about it?
I have to say that second year for molecular biology and genetics is really general. You are taking pretty much the same courses as people in other programs. Third year seems to be more general but I can't tell you my experiences about it yet. The program just replaced a bunch of programs last year so you won't find anyone who completed level 3/4 of this program.
Old 05-29-2010 at 02:47 PM   #3
jeeves

Liked: 0 Times

I am choosing between these three second year programs too.

One of the reasons I was interested in these programs was because of coop. In anyone here doing a science coop? How hard is it to get coop placement in Biochemistry?

And what is the main difference between the Biomedical and Biotechnology specialization?
Old 05-29-2010 at 03:04 PM   #4
Kira

Liked: 3 Times

Hey,
I'm going into biochem coop for next year. They take 20 people from the biochem program. They base the coop acceptance on your marks and an interview. So your chances really depend on how many people applied and how their marks and interview skills compare to yours.

I'm in the Biotechnology specialization. There isn't too much of a difference between the biomed and biotech specializations. In the 2nd year, you would take the same courses either way. There are some differences in upper years. Like you have to take an extra lab course in the biotech specialization.

You can check out the details here:
HTML Code:
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca/calendar/current/pg1469.html
Best of luck