MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
anyone dropping biochem 2ee3 or social or abnorma psych 2nd term or willing to switch nadia1 Academics 0 07-16-2010 04:15 PM
Biochem vs Biomed specialization vs Molecular Genetics gcruz91 Academics 3 05-29-2010 03:04 PM
Mcmaster University....... How easy is to switch majors? don.999 Academics 6 08-20-2009 08:11 AM
First year Nursing and Human Biochem Core Courses at same time! daisy Academics 6 07-11-2009 10:18 PM
Looking for an easy 1st level elective that has fewer core sections but some choice aviaf Academics 1 10-13-2008 03:15 PM

How easy is it to switch from Biomed to Biochem core?

Old 06-13-2010 at 08:48 AM   #1
gcruz91

Liked: 0 Times

How easy is it to switch from Biomed to Biochem core?
So, i got accepted to both Biochem core and the Biomed specialization but I wasn't sure biomed was for me so I was going to settle for going into Biochem.

But what if I were to choose biomed, see how I like it, then attempt to switch to biochem after second year? The second year prerequisites are the same for both specializations. Does anyone know of someone who has done this previously and whether they were given a lot of trouble when trying to switch?
Old 06-13-2010 at 03:18 PM   #2
biochemer

Liked: 11 Times

It is absolutely easy to switch from a specialization to core. Just go to the Dean's office and tell them you wanna switch and your done. The other way around, not so easy, next to impossible they say, lol. Unless you're getting like 12 in everything (which is not likely), I doubt you can switch from core to specialization. Unfortunately, second year biochem is the same for both core and specializations, so you don't really get a clear idea of what your specialization is like. BUT, the plus is, you'll definitely know by the end of the year if you wanna do biochem from a research perspective, in which case you should stay in specialization, or if you wanna do biochem, but avoid labs, in which case you should switch to core which doesn't have anymore lab courses. So I suggest you choose the specialization and then make your decision about switching at the end of specialization. I'm in the biomed spec. and I'm going into third year. I found that although lab work was tough, it was really helpful in understanding the stuff you learn in class, so I decided to stay in the spec. Plus, in 3rd and 4th year, there are some courses which you can only take IF you're in specialization. Anotehr bonus is that you HAVE TO be in a specialization to get into the biochem co-op program. So if the co-op option is in the back of your head..stay in specialization.
Hope that helps
Old 07-13-2010 at 06:05 PM   #3
jordan19

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by biochemer View Post
It is absolutely easy to switch from a specialization to core. Just go to the Dean's office and tell them you wanna switch and your done. The other way around, not so easy, next to impossible they say, lol. Unless you're getting like 12 in everything (which is not likely), I doubt you can switch from core to specialization. Unfortunately, second year biochem is the same for both core and specializations, so you don't really get a clear idea of what your specialization is like. BUT, the plus is, you'll definitely know by the end of the year if you wanna do biochem from a research perspective, in which case you should stay in specialization, or if you wanna do biochem, but avoid labs, in which case you should switch to core which doesn't have anymore lab courses. So I suggest you choose the specialization and then make your decision about switching at the end of specialization. I'm in the biomed spec. and I'm going into third year. I found that although lab work was tough, it was really helpful in understanding the stuff you learn in class, so I decided to stay in the spec. Plus, in 3rd and 4th year, there are some courses which you can only take IF you're in specialization. Anotehr bonus is that you HAVE TO be in a specialization to get into the biochem co-op program. So if the co-op option is in the back of your head..stay in specialization.
Hope that helps
You don't need straight 12s to get from core to specialization. I am a testament to that.
I believe you just need over 10 average to get into a specialization.

But it is definitely easier to get into specialization and drop to core, rather than the other way around.