MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How easy is it to switch from Biomed to Biochem core? gcruz91 Academics 2 07-13-2010 06:05 PM
Getting from mcmaster to university of waterloo? killza Automotive & Transportation 9 02-21-2010 08:17 PM
The McMaster University Bursaries jhan523 MacInsiders Announcements 13 01-03-2010 11:11 PM
McMaster University Sustainability Day Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 10-27-2008 08:17 AM
Summer school for a switch in majors? ForeverYoung Academics 7 04-25-2008 04:30 PM

Mcmaster University....... How easy is to switch majors?

Old 08-19-2009 at 04:28 PM   #1
don.999

Liked: 0 Times

Mcmaster University....... How easy is to switch majors?
I just got accepted to Bachelor of Technology I (Biotechnology) program at Mcmaster University. So, can you PLEASE tell me if it is possible to transfer from BioTechnology I to Life Sciences I program after my first year?
Old 08-19-2009 at 07:05 PM   #2
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Yes, it should be possible. You don't really choose your major until the end of first year (in March sometime). If you can, take the required courses so that you can enter Life Sciences by the time you're in second year.

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1954.html

Click on one of those links you find here to find out the required courses in first year, but also try and keep up with your requirements for the BioTech program.

If you can't switch into Life Sciences by the end of first year, you can still do so the next year.
Old 08-19-2009 at 07:44 PM   #3
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

I did it three times in one year!
Old 08-19-2009 at 07:48 PM   #4
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

All you do is contact an academic advisor in the faculty of science (since Life Science is in the faculty of science) when the time comes at the end of your first year.

Anyone here will do: http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/~as.../advising.html

But I personally recommend contacting Ms. Rita Campbell ([email protected]). She is very nice, informative and helpful. She's one of the only administrative people at Mac that I'm actually happy to go see.
Old 08-19-2009 at 08:42 PM   #5
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

just talk to an advisor in BSB. they're on the first floor. Or you can just call them. Mowicz provided the links.
Old 08-19-2009 at 10:13 PM   #6
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fight0 View Post
I did it three times in one year!

Really? :p the change between programs wasn't too drastic and the first change... lol.

I'd highly recommend shadowing the program that you want to take during first year to make the transition easier.

And yes, talk to Rita. She's lovely.
Old 08-20-2009 at 08:11 AM   #7
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus View Post
Really? :p the change between programs wasn't too drastic and the first change... lol.
It's funny because the academic advisor who did the switch for me told me that I shouldn't become one of those people who changes their major every year, and then I did it two more times last year.