MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Summer School for high school student MacPack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-04-2010 06:35 PM
Required courses for second year, med school, summer school, etc. kwyhan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 12-26-2009 07:14 PM
Mcmaster University....... How easy is to switch majors? don.999 Academics 6 08-20-2009 08:11 AM
Summer School fleenagirl Academics 1 04-29-2009 06:29 PM
Summer School laffand Academics 13 07-17-2007 11:09 PM

Summer school for a switch in majors?

Old 04-25-2008 at 12:18 AM   #1
ForeverYoung

Liked: 0 Times

Summer school for a switch in majors?
Hi,
I'm a first year student in Social Sciences hoping to switch into Humanities (English specifically). I have one first-year half credit for English so far and need the other first year half-credit in order to apply for English as my major. I thought I could get the one I need in summer school, but it's full. I know I could take it in September, but then I'd be behind on getting the second year English credits. I have no idea what to do now to get into Humanities and I now know that English is all I really want to major in, so any guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks so much.
Old 04-25-2008 at 12:55 AM   #2
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

I would call up the Humanities faculty office as well as the registrar. If you're lucky, you may get an extra seat opened up in the class just for you since it is required in order for you to get into the program 2nd yr. Call them up and explain your situation
Old 04-25-2008 at 06:53 AM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

What you're doing is almost the same as what I did (altho I went into CSCT instead).

All you'll need to do (if you can't get into the class over the summer) is take one first year english in the first term. Then, you can resume taking the other courses as normal, except you will have to do so by getting permission from the department first.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 04-25-2008 at 12:43 PM   #4
ForeverYoung

I did call the Registrar's office today and I was told that once a class is full, there's nothing that can be done. I'm also taking history in summer school so I could apply for a history major and at least make the switch into the faculty of Humanities. But now I'm wondering- suppose I take that first year English come September, when would I take the two second year Englishes? Am I allowed to take a first and second year English within the same semester? Thanks so much for the help by the way!
Old 04-25-2008 at 03:10 PM   #5
ForeverYoung

Actually it's okay, I spoke with someone at the Humanities office again and managed to get a spot in summer school, so I'm okay now. Thanks again though for the help
Old 04-25-2008 at 03:12 PM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

When I was taking the first year English, I was taking a third year one at the same time. It doesn't actually matter too much if you start on your major in second year. You have lots of time to catch up.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 04-25-2008 at 04:09 PM   #7
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Excellent to see they opened up a spot for you I knew they'd figure something out!

If you were to end up taking the first year class during the school year you'd have to take it before taking the second year ones since the first year class is probably a requirement. So what you'd end up doing, for those who are interested, is take the first year class in your first semester, then take both 2A and 2B in second semester.
Old 04-25-2008 at 04:30 PM   #8
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

For a lot of the English/CSCT classes you can take them concurrently. Especially the ones open to all students from all departments.