MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OSAP Program Selection Abhimint Academics 2 07-09-2012 12:37 PM
Do I include Mac Entrance Scholarship on my OSAP application? +MORE OSAP questions gabbynelly Financial Aid 2 06-28-2012 02:56 PM
Biochemistry (Biomedical Sciences) Co-op Questions Driftking24 Academics 2 05-28-2012 10:16 AM
Life Sciences Course Selection Questions GB123 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 06-29-2011 10:24 AM
Questions about Core Biochemistry Program AnthraX Academics 2 06-13-2010 03:08 PM

Biochemistry Co-op: Course selection and OSAP Questions

Old 05-25-2013 at 08:42 AM   #1
biochem92

Liked: 0 Times

Biochemistry Co-op: Course selection and OSAP Questions
Hi guys, I applied for the co-op program and I'm confused about the course selection process. If I happen to get into co-op, will I only be required to choose courses for term 1? Because term 2 is a work term.

Also, will this have any effect on my OSAP? Am I still considered a full-time student even though I'll only be taking 15 credits? I haven't submitted my OSAP application yet but for now, I've indicated that I'm a full-time student.

Lastly, how do I get "accepted" into the co-op program? Will it just say on SOLAR whether or not I'm in?

I'm currently out of the country so I'm getting a little stressed out in case anything goes wrong lol. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-25-2013 at 09:16 AM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

You find out if you were accepted on Grade Report on Wednesday.

You're still considered a full-time student, but it will probably affect your OSAP since you're earning money - your income will increase.

If you're accepted, then yes you only register in courses for first term.

biochem92 says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 05-25-2013 at 11:46 AM   #3
biochem92

Thanks! One question: if for some reason I want to switch out of co-op in the future, and back to my specialization, would I then just take 15 more units in term 2?
Old 05-25-2013 at 03:16 PM   #4
omgwtfitsp
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 30 Times

this would be the coming wednesday right? I'm feeling kind of nervous about my bio chem co op too!
Old 05-25-2013 at 03:43 PM   #5
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Yep, I only picked courses for first term this year. And if you switch out of co-op, you'll have to stay an extra term/year depending on when mandatory courses are offered and whatnot.

biochem92 says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 05-25-2013 at 07:23 PM   #6
biochem92

^ Thanks. If I can take the other mandatory courses in term two, then dropping out of co-op shouldn't be a problem right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfitsp View Post
this would be the coming wednesday right? I'm feeling kind of nervous about my bio chem co op too!
Lol, I'm less worried about getting into co-op and more worried about not getting a job once I'm in. :S
Old 05-25-2013 at 11:53 PM   #7
omgwtfitsp
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by biochem92 View Post
^ Thanks. If I can take the other mandatory courses in term two, then dropping out of co-op shouldn't be a problem right?

Lol, I'm less worried about getting into co-op and more worried about not getting a job once I'm in. :S
Actually now that you mention it, you're right. I wasn't able to get a lab job this summer so I have no exp. outside of school which is a bummer. How about you?

Edit: I just checked my mugsi under solar and undergrad section and I only see one option to select and thats just the Honours Biochem. (biomed), is the co-op thing not released yet so is that why it doesn't show up or did I just not get in :/

What does yours say? Awe man now I'm really worried

Last edited by omgwtfitsp : 05-26-2013 at 12:03 AM.
Old 05-26-2013 at 12:12 PM   #8
biochem92

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfitsp View Post
Actually now that you mention it, you're right. I wasn't able to get a lab job this summer so I have no exp. outside of school which is a bummer. How about you?

Edit: I just checked my mugsi under solar and undergrad section and I only see one option to select and thats just the Honours Biochem. (biomed), is the co-op thing not released yet so is that why it doesn't show up or did I just not get in :/

What does yours say? Awe man now I'm really worried
Oh man, same with me; couldn't get to work in a lab this summer. That's why I'm worried about not being able to get a co-op position even if I get into the program. I don't really know any current co-op students so I don't know how much work experience we should have going into co-op.

And yup, my SOLAR says the same thing as yours. Just Honours Biochemistry (Biomed). I guess I'll check on wednesday.
Old 05-26-2013 at 03:21 PM   #9
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by biochem92 View Post
Oh man, same with me; couldn't get to work in a lab this summer. That's why I'm worried about not being able to get a co-op position even if I get into the program. I don't really know any current co-op students so I don't know how much work experience we should have going into co-op.

And yup, my SOLAR says the same thing as yours. Just Honours Biochemistry (Biomed). I guess I'll check on wednesday.
You don't need any work experience for the co-op program. It helps, but definitely isn't a necessity.

SOLAR isn't open to register for the fall/winter term yet, so I'm assuming you're referring to summer registration. That won't change, regardless of whether or not you get accepted. You should be looking on grade report, once they're finalized (which is supposed to be wednesday).

biochem92 says thanks to starfish for this post.

biochem92 likes this.