MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
4th Year Independent Research Project - English or History eleduc Academics 0 03-03-2011 03:20 PM
Finding A Thesis or Research Project Supervisor jhan523 MacInsiders Announcements 7 01-23-2011 12:05 AM
Contacting Profs for Research Project Pay919 Academics 11 11-16-2010 10:23 PM
Senior Thesis vs. Senior Project Fawkes Academics 6 05-29-2010 07:58 PM
Information about senior/independant/research courses? sinthusized Academics 10 06-12-2009 07:41 AM

Biochemistry Senior Research Project

Old 07-05-2011 at 07:57 PM   #1
jaucep

Liked: 0 Times

Biochemistry Senior Research Project
Hey,

I'm meeting a professor next week to talk about potentially doing my senior research project (Biochem 4b06) in his lab.

I would love any advice you guys have on how I should prepare, what to wear, what to expect, what questions to ask....

thank you!
Old 07-05-2011 at 10:22 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaucep View Post
Hey,

I'm meeting a professor next week to talk about potentially doing my senior research project (Biochem 4b06) in his lab.

I would love any advice you guys have on how I should prepare, what to wear, what to expect, what questions to ask....

thank you!
For my thesis interviews I just showed up with my normal clothes. What happens during the interview depends on the professor. I've had one professor just talk about his research and asked me if I'm interested. I also asked questions about his research while he was telling me about it. Another professor just talked about the actual thesis he has planned out (at least the initial parts since he can't accurately predict what the results will be) and asked me general knowledge questions (General to my program). Hopefully someone in biochem will stumble on this thread.

jaucep says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 07-06-2011 at 12:00 AM   #3
biochemer

Liked: 11 Times

Depends on who the prof is. I would suggest checking out their lab website, and maybe pick a couple of topics that are of interest to you. Maybe try to read some of their papers. That way, if they ask you what you know so far, you'll have a little bit to talk about and even ask some appropriate questions. Like Jhan said, some will have it all planned out as to what they want from you, and others will explain their current research topics and then hand it over to you to make a decision on what you're interested in. Hope that helps

jaucep says thanks to biochemer for this post.