MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Importance of Senior thesis? Richa Academics 3 06-10-2010 06:48 AM
Senior Thesis vs. Senior Project Fawkes Academics 6 05-29-2010 07:58 PM
Help Getting into Research? britb Academics 3 12-01-2009 07:41 PM
Research Study Recruitment Affect_Sci Academics 0 11-04-2009 08:56 PM

Information about senior/independant/research courses?

Old 06-11-2009 at 02:42 PM   #1
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Information about senior/independant/research courses?
What is a senior thesis? What do you do in them/learn I've heard some upper years complain about them. I looked at course calendar but it was not so descriptive.

I looked and they had other types of level 4 course that I don't know much about.

Independent Study, Independent Project, Independent Thesis, Research Seminar, Directed Research, Senior Project, Senior Thesis

thanks
Old 06-11-2009 at 03:30 PM   #2
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinthusized View Post
What is a senior thesis? What do you do in them/learn I've heard some upper years complain about them. I looked at course calendar but it was not so descriptive.

I looked and they had other types of level 4 course that I don't know much about.

Independent Study, Independent Project, Independent Thesis, Research Seminar, Directed Research, Senior Project, Senior Thesis

thanks
I'll be taking 4C09 (Senior thesis) next year. I probably don't have as many answers as someone who's completed their thesis, but I'll try. Not too sure on the other ones though.

In your thesis, you first need to find a supervisor - typically in a subject that you're interested in researching. This is typically done independently: e-mail the prof in a professional manner and have your transcripts ready (the mugsi version or photocopies are fine).

Since it's a 9 unit course, you should expect to spend at least 10-15 hours a week (according to one of the profs that I talked to) working on your own research experiment.

There are mid-year reports and a final report about the research you are conducting. In the end, you either give a poster presentation or powerpoint presentation.

Hope that helps a bit.

sinthusized says thanks to Lois for this post.
Old 06-11-2009 at 03:31 PM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

I think the descriptions are vague because they like to screw with you.

The actual work you need to do varies by department: for example a political science thesis is 6 units and around 60 pages, an English/CSCT thesis is 3 units and 40 pages, and a Science thesis is 9 units and x amount of pages.

For all of them you are basically investigating something you are interested in, and then writing a large paper on it. They are self-directed, so you have very little supervision from a Prof or Prof(s). Also, the paper is usually worth 100% of your grade. But as previously mentioned, each department/faculty has their own requirements.

My thesis paper was worth 100% of my grade, and I met with my supervisor I think around once every three weeks to go over my progress, ideas, an initial edit etc.

As for the list you gave: I think they are all essentially the same, synonyms for the same kind of project.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Last edited by lorend : 06-11-2009 at 03:33 PM.

Chad, feonateresa, sinthusized all say thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 06-11-2009 at 04:42 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Do you say "x amount of pages" because you don't know or because it differs?

So basically the thesis is completely independent? Will your supervisor help you stay on track? Do they input what they think about what you have done so far?
Old 06-11-2009 at 04:56 PM   #5
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

I said x amount because of two reasons: I don't know and I don't think it's as stringent. With science papers there are usually a lot of charts, graphs etc. You could easily have 30 pages of them for a large project. So setting a page limit for a Science paper would be much more difficult.

Yup, you are more or less on your own. You professor will give you a due date. But I can't say what ALL professors do between the beginning of your project and the day it's due. Some may be more involved (i.e. read rough drafts, want to meet with you every week or two etc), while others you never see and they just mark your final project.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Chad, jhan523, sinthusized all say thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 06-11-2009 at 05:05 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Alright, thanks. I hope I get one that's involved ^-^. Although my thesis is still a whiles away Lol
Old 06-11-2009 at 06:06 PM   #7
Lois
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post

So basically the thesis is completely independent? Will your supervisor help you stay on track? Do they input what they think about what you have done so far?
Typically you meet with your supervisor and co-supervisor once a week or once every 2 weeks in science at least. This is to ensure that your research is going well and hopefully your results are good.

Although as O'Donnell said, sometimes it's good if your results aren't what you expect because that leads to the best research.
Old 06-11-2009 at 07:10 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Yeah, unexpected results are also more interesting.
Old 06-11-2009 at 11:12 PM   #9
Omega_X13

Liked: 9 Times

I was wondering...I saw that it says students are expected to have a CA of at least 8.5 (on the biology ones anyways). How strict is this? I know it doesn't say that it's required, but should I forget about trying to do one if I don't have 8.5?
Old 06-12-2009 at 05:31 AM   #10
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Word of advice for all prospective thesis students:

Hassle your supervisor.

Keep a steady flow of communication open until you are physically doing your thesis research with them. I made such great plans with a professor to do some Kinesiology research in ergonomics and biomechanics...and then because I waited 2 months between my 'thank you for being my supervisor' and 'when can we get started' visits, he told me he thought I decided not to do the thesis and found another student to work with (and stole my idea! ):< ). I was majorly disappointed.

Kinda left me a bit screwed too, since I had to make up 6 units in my 4th year haha. But all is well, I switched programs anyway.

EDIT: Let me know if you're doing a science thesis. I didn't actually end up completing my thesis, but I know the protocol and timeline...things like when to start planning for it, when do you fill out forms, when do you ask your prof, etc. (and if you're doing a humanities/soc sci thesis, lorend's probably full of similar info)

As for the 'due date' and length, there is a 'midyear checkpoint' where you present your thesis and current research to your department...and then science thesis projects are usually presented at the end of the year at a big 'science fair' kind of thing...only more formal. It's about a 15 minute power point presentation for each project, that converts into what, 10 written pages?

@Omega_X13: I think the reason they recommend an 8.5 is because it's hard to 'impress a professor' that way. If you have a good idea, and you want to do the research, go up to the relevant professor. Even if you have a 7.0, the prof will fight for you if you have a solid thesis idea.

Last edited by Mowicz : 06-12-2009 at 05:39 AM.

jhan523, Omega_X13, sinthusized all say thanks to Mowicz for this post.
Old 06-12-2009 at 07:41 AM   #11
Lois
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega_X13 View Post
I was wondering...I saw that it says students are expected to have a CA of at least 8.5 (on the biology ones anyways). How strict is this? I know it doesn't say that it's required, but should I forget about trying to do one if I don't have 8.5?
You can always obtain a letter of permission to take the course.

The 8.5 is so that the professor will want to take you on as a thesis student.

jhan523, Omega_X13, sinthusized all say thanks to Lois for this post.