MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thesis nerual Academics 2 08-07-2010 12:07 AM
Importance of Senior thesis? Richa Academics 3 06-10-2010 06:48 AM
Specializations - Thesis Doom? britb Academics 9 01-26-2010 11:09 PM
Information about senior/independant/research courses? sinthusized Academics 10 06-12-2009 07:41 AM

Senior Thesis vs. Senior Project

Old 05-29-2010 at 01:09 PM   #1
Fawkes

Liked: 0 Times

Senior Thesis vs. Senior Project
Hello there,

Does anyone know what the difference is between a Senior Thesis and a Senior Project? I know they are different with respect to length in time, but other than that, what is the major difference between the two?

Thank you
Old 05-29-2010 at 01:39 PM   #2
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Senior projects also last the entire year. You're still required to do lab work or you can opt to do a literature review.

For thesis, you need to come up with a literature review, hypothesis, procedures, during the introductory report.

Whereas a senior project is mostly a literature review for the introductory report. Many of my friends in biology who wanted to do a senior project ended up getting switched to a thesis project by their supervisor.

The main difference between Biology 4C09 and 4C06 is the testing of a research hypothesis.

Note: I used my Biology outline, but it should be similar for life sciences students.

Last edited by Lij : 05-29-2010 at 01:41 PM.

Fawkes says thanks to Lois for this post.
Old 05-29-2010 at 02:23 PM   #3
Fawkes

when does the senior thesis start? (BIO 4C09)

im under the impression that it starts during the summer after your 3rd year and continues all throughout your 4th year.. is that right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Senior projects also last the entire year. You're still required to do lab work or you can opt to do a literature review.

For thesis, you need to come up with a literature review, hypothesis, procedures, during the introductory report.

Whereas a senior project is mostly a literature review for the introductory report. Many of my friends in biology who wanted to do a senior project ended up getting switched to a thesis project by their supervisor.

The main difference between Biology 4C09 and 4C06 is the testing of a research hypothesis.

Note: I used my Biology outline, but it should be similar for life sciences students.
Old 05-29-2010 at 03:14 PM   #4
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post

im under the impression that it starts during the summer after your 3rd year and continues all throughout your 4th year.. is that right?
Depends on your supervisor. Both the senior thesis and the senior project are supposed to start in September and be all complete by April (Sidenote: There is actually no difference with respect to duration of completion, but I think theses generally require a greater time commitment than the project.). However, some supervisors want you to do some prep work or even start working on your project over the summer after your third year, and there is no rule in the outline or anything that forbids them to do that. Usually, if your supervisor suggests so, they know it will be helpful for you to start earlier so you don't have to cram during the year when you have all your other courses/commitments.

Fawkes says thanks to nh999 for this post.
Old 05-29-2010 at 03:45 PM   #5
Lois
Elite Member

Quote:

I started in late October. Usually you start in the summer or the fall (September)
Old 05-29-2010 at 07:49 PM   #6
Fawkes

Does a Senior Thesis count as two courses during the regular academic year? (if it does start in Sept)

I mean, a full course load during one academic year requires 30 units (5 courses each term). Does that mean that I will only have space for 4 courses per term during my fall and winter terms in my 4th year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I started in late October. Usually you start in the summer or the fall (September)
Old 05-29-2010 at 07:58 PM   #7
Lois
Elite Member

Quote:
Does a Senior Thesis count as two courses during the regular academic year? (if it does start in Sept)

I mean, a full course load during one academic year requires 30 units (5 courses each term). Does that mean that I will only have space for 4 courses per term during my fall and winter terms in my 4th year?
It officially starts in September, but I just started in late October in the lab due to ethics stuff.

The Senior Thesis counts as 3 courses and the Senior Project counts as 2. I only took 3 courses first term and 4 courses second term, plus my thesis. Other students took 4 courses first term and 3 courses second term.

If you're during a senior project you'll have space for 4 courses per term (8 total).

Fawkes says thanks to Lois for this post.