Biology 2L03

Old 06-07-2011 at 02:00 PM   #16
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Biology 2L03
From what I remember:

Lab 1 - Ecology
The point of the lab is to assess the health of Cootes Paradise by examination of water pH and phosphate concentrations, as well as by measure of bioindicator species. Basically, you get to go down to Cootes as a class, and dig up some...

all say thanks to Freak705 for this post.

like this.
Old 05-25-2012 at 01:13 PM   #15
hons2

Liked: 1 Time
how was the prof for this course?
i believe it will be J. Daniel this fall
Old 05-27-2012 at 10:29 PM   #16
Nogah7

Liked: 0 Times
good to hear Tas mark easier NOW
Old 05-28-2012 at 05:09 AM   #17
rkb12

Liked: 33 Times
I took 2L03 term 1 last year, Jacobs was alright. His slides weren't the best and he kind of rambled on about things sometimes. The TAs were pretty nice, they tried to help you out but sometimes they marked a little hard depending on the assessment. Make sure you ask them beforehand about certain things, even spacing in figures or titles on graphs, because they might take marks off for that.

I think I learned a lot from this course and I actually enjoyed it, but it was definitely a greater time commitment than you think it is. Always be wary of labs going over time, that happened more than once. I don't think the course would have been that bad if there weren't as many assignments, the letters to nature and lab reports were already a lot of work. Especially around the middle, there was a letter to nature, lab report, and assignment due on the same day, and Jacobs' assignments were sometimes difficult to understand. That being said, it was a pretty good course, you get comfortable with lab skills, you get to work with frogs, nematodes etc. and I think it's definitely helpful if you're unsure about doing research/thesis.
Old 06-02-2013 at 03:29 PM   #18
5.98e24

Liked: 12 Times
I took this course in Fall 2012 with Dr. Daniel. There were about 40 students in this course and 20 per lab slot.

The labs were exactly as described in the first post of this thread, although the order changed slightly. Dr. Daniel was a patient lecturer who encouraged questions and had a focused scope of content material. The guest lecturers were generally engaging. Great instructional assistant (Sinah) who, along withe TAs, were very helpful during the lab and accessible through email. Our TAs were not easy markers outright but gave enough constructive criticism while encouraging improvement. The labs were pretty time-consuming both to perform and to write but it was worth the amount of breadth we were able to cover in terms of different fields within biology. It gives you something extra to point out when considering working with a guest lecturer (a McMaster prof) who you may want to approach for research opportunities. Some labs we performed were actually identical to those of third year labs, so it was enjoyable to have a sneak peek and try our hand at achieving the desired results. I learned a considerable amount in terms of writing papers, searching for peer-reviewed articles, formatting research articles, and honing on skills for writing succinct lab reports. Overall, a fun and fulfilling course - you'll definitely learn something. Not a bird, but not overly difficult. Just time-consuming. Did well.

MXMXMXMX says thanks to 5.98e24 for this post.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search