MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Biology 2A03 (ANIMALS PHYSIOLOGY ) with Biology 2C03 (GENETICS)?? iki_31 Academics 23 12-24-2009 11:29 PM
biology(physiology spec) or biology(molec bio and genetics) shreya s. General Discussion 3 06-20-2009 11:01 PM

Biology 3O03

Biology 3O03
Microbial Genetics
Published by summer
07-30-2008
Published by

Author review
Overall Rating
100%100%100%
Professor Rating
100%100%100%
Interest
100%100%100%
Easiness
100%100%100%
Average 100%
Biology 3O03

I hate giving ANYTHING a perfect rating but this class was AWESOME! If you havn't had the pleasure of having Dr. Marie Elliot as a professor, you must take this course. Another one of those courses where I learned a lot.

Her midterms are hard... But just study with the expectation of getting your ass kicked ie. really really hard, and you will do relatively well. In my year, the exam was EXCEPTIONALLY easy, which brought my mediocre mark up to an excellent grade.

One of the few professors I have had in my time at Mac (if not the only) who takes a genuine interest in the well-being and success of her students. She is so helpful and very involved in the WebCT discussion posts and is always available for extra help.

If you have room for this course, take it. If you don't, make some.

manaya says thanks to summer for this post.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Biology 3O03!

Old 06-04-2010 at 05:39 PM   #2
zaverim

Liked: 4 Times
I AGREE that Dr. Elliott is probably one of the most fantabulous profs at Mac. However, she has REALLY high expectations. If you dont have to take the course, try to avoid it, because it is a GPA-lowering course. You learn a lot though and she really tries to help you out and you just fall in love with her. The course itself isn't hard but the way she tests is ALL application based, none of the stuff she teaches is really on the midterms/exams, which really enforces critical-thinking, however.
Old 06-04-2010 at 06:59 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaverim View Post
I AGREE that Dr. Elliott is probably one of the most fantabulous profs at Mac. However, she has REALLY high expectations. If you dont have to take the course, try to avoid it, because it is a GPA-lowering course. You learn a lot though and she really tries to help you out and you just fall in love with her. The course itself isn't hard but the way she tests is ALL application based, none of the stuff she teaches is really on the midterms/exams, which really enforces critical-thinking, however.
Oh well, I have to take this course because it's a requirement for other third year courses as well as a fourth year course.

So they aren't any REALLY specific questions right? I hate really specific question, it makes me wonder if I'll actually ever have to know that level of detail.
Old 06-05-2010 at 10:36 AM   #4
zaverim

You'll never have to regurgitate any information. But it IS a genetics course, it does require you to understand the details, in order to apply them to different scenarios, you'll have to memorize a few terms which come up and are carried on through out the course.

She'll be clear as to what is necessary and emphasize it and she asks a lot of questions in class and there's quizzes as well that will help you understand her expectations.

Old 06-05-2010 at 12:49 PM   #5
aliatehreem

Liked: 0 Times
Quote:
You'll never have to regurgitate any information. But it IS a genetics course, it does require you to understand the details, in order to apply them to different scenarios, you'll have to memorize a few terms which come up and are carried on through out the course.

She'll be clear as to what is necessary and emphasize it and she asks a lot of questions in class and there's quizzes as well that will help you understand her expectations.
Would you say that this this course is as bad as eukaryotic genetics (if you've taken that)? If I have a choice between this and nucleus, which one would you recommend?
Old 06-05-2010 at 02:13 PM   #6
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times
nucleus is a really fun course, and it's really easy to do well!
Old 06-07-2010 at 08:41 AM   #7
zaverim

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliatehreem View Post
Would you say that this this course is as bad as eukaryotic genetics (if you've taken that)? If I have a choice between this and nucleus, which one would you recommend?

Eukaryotic genetics was a great course, it just wasn't taught to the level it deserves to be taught at honestly.

If you're looking for marks, nucleus is way way wayyy easier to score an A in than it is to do so in 3O03.
Old 06-07-2010 at 09:19 AM   #8
aliatehreem

Quote:
Eukaryotic genetics was a great course, it just wasn't taught to the level it deserves to be taught at honestly.

If you're looking for marks, nucleus is way way wayyy easier to score an A in than it is to do so in 3O03.
Thanks for the feedback! I'll take nucleus then .
Old 09-04-2010 at 11:36 PM   #9
e-norman

could you recommend any other biology/mol bio courses that is easy to do well in (3rd/4th year)?

it's hard to do well in bio 3o03? did you know the average of the class.
Old 09-05-2010 at 04:58 AM   #10
zaverim

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-norman View Post
could you recommend any other biology/mol bio courses that is easy to do well in (3rd/4th year)?

it's hard to do well in bio 3o03? did you know the average of the class.
There really aren't any easy bio or molbio courses at the upper level. Nucleus and cytoplasm are well taught but require constant attention- which actually really helps for the exam(for cyto ESP) Dej is teaching it now I believe so things should be good with her. Evolution with Stone will bore you and you'll fall asleep but it's straightforward. Needless to say you have to put the time and effort into alll these courses and then you'll certainly do well!
All the best

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search