MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Science (Biology) Thesis Inquiry Unknown111 Academics 2 11-27-2011 10:18 AM
Thesis Information Night for Biology Students BioSociety MacInsiders Announcements 13 11-04-2010 07:28 PM
Biology 2A03 (ANIMALS PHYSIOLOGY ) with Biology 2C03 (GENETICS)?? iki_31 Academics 23 12-24-2009 11:29 PM
4C09 Thesis Conflict? Lois Academics 2 06-09-2009 07:54 PM

Biology 4C09 Thesis

Old 05-30-2013 at 06:22 PM   #1
The Effekt

Liked: 3 Times

Biology 4C09 Thesis
I am going to be enrolling in Biology 4C09 (the thesis course) but there is apparently a lecture every other week for the whole year according to the master course timetable. I have another course in term one which conflicts with the lecture by 20 minutes or so.
Is attending the 4c09 lectures MANDATORY or could i simply skip them/get the notes from someone else?
Old 05-30-2013 at 06:36 PM   #2
PockyWarrior

Liked: 34 Times

If it's the Thesis course then you don't have lectures, it's your Thesis afterall..

The master timetable just puts a placeholder spot there but there's no actual lecture

Again it's your thesis, so I'm kind of confused why you really thought there's a lecture portion for it even if master timetable had it as that lol, but ya don't worry about it

EDIT: I'm so confused by the post I don't even know if you're serious. Make sure you clearly know what your thesis is, you must have found a supervisor by now if you're going to be doing a Thesis this coming year, and you had to have filled out the paperwork and figured out a thesis project with your supervisor before you're allowed to take a thesis course. Generally you're doing it on your own so there's no "notes from someone else" to be taken, because again it's an independent research thesis project.
Old 05-30-2013 at 06:43 PM   #3
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Actually, there are lectures for it (according to a friend who took it). She said they're not actually EOW, there's only a couple throughout the term and apparently they mostly deal with logistical/administrative stuff. Of course, things could have changed since then. You should email the department to find out for sure.

The master timetable doesn't automatically assign a "placeholder spot" for thesis/project courses. It usually just says that the time is "TBA" and that's it. The lecture slots aren't by accident.
Old 05-30-2013 at 06:46 PM   #4
The Effekt

Liked: 3 Times

I saw a document a while ago which is no longer posted on the department of biology's website which was a LECTURE outline-once every so often in the thesis course there is a lecture on experimental design, statistics etc. and I am wondering if those are mandatory to attend.
Old 05-30-2013 at 07:32 PM   #5
PockyWarrior

Liked: 34 Times

Oh, my bad then, had no idea about that since my Bio friends doing theses never mentioned anything of the sort (and the Life Sci Thesis I did didn't have it).
Old 05-30-2013 at 10:53 PM   #6
qwerty!

Liked: 6 Times

Not mandatory, seldom useful. I even had a friend who had a conflict for that lecture section and they did not miss much.
Old 06-02-2013 at 12:38 PM   #7
Salama

Liked: 0 Times

In the honours molecular biology and genetics program, it says you need 27 credits from the course list, including 4c09 (or 4f06). Does this mean that taking bio 4c09 counts towards the 27 credits? In the degree audit, it is listed as its own requirement.