MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engineering Level Cut-offs* kanishka MacInsiders Announcements 72 11-28-2010 11:17 PM
Biology & Environmental Science Level II program minji Academics 2 06-07-2010 07:52 PM
Biology 2A03 (ANIMALS PHYSIOLOGY ) with Biology 2C03 (GENETICS)?? iki_31 Academics 23 12-24-2009 11:29 PM

Biology Level II Cut-offs

Old 03-16-2011 at 07:22 PM   #1
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Biology Level II Cut-offs
I dunno if this will help anyone or if it is even new information but I just got back from the Biology Level II Info Night and I got some info about some of the programs that I thought might be helpful.

Honours Biology
Class Size: 80-90
Last Year's Cutoff: 7.8

Molecular Biology and Genetics
Class Size: 30-40
Last Year's Cutoff: 8.4

Honours Biology (Physiology Specialization)
Class Size: Max 35
Last Year's Cutoff: 8.6

**3rd Year Program: Honours Biology and Pharmacology Co-op
Class Size: ~18-20
Last Year's Cutoff: 8.5

*For all programs, I was told the cutoffs would be very similar this year.

**For this program this is also an interview that is just as important as your CA. Also, as long as you meet the course requirements, you can apply from any Level II program and will not be at any disadvantage or advantage in terms of learning the material.

I did not think to ask about any of the other programs as I am not considering them so if anyone has that info I think it might be helpful.

I know there's a Biochem info night coming up or maybe it already happened :S but if anyone got any information from that about cutoffs and class sizes it would really help me out

Feel free to correct me if any of this is wrong or if I got any of the programs mixed up or to add on to anything I said

anon491, DarkHalo, epikness, justinsftw, Watoko all say thanks to RememberTwce for this post.
Old 03-16-2011 at 07:25 PM   #2
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

Thanks. I couldn't make it because of my 5:30 physics class ><
Old 03-16-2011 at 08:09 PM   #3
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Wow, my program's smaller than I thought... max of 139 other people in the whole school!
Old 03-16-2011 at 08:43 PM   #4
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

hey just wandering, but considering the 1000 or so life sci students in level 1, why are the class sizes so small? where do you think all the others go?

btw thanks, those are the same ones im considersing, except the pharma one, instead ill but hon life sci just to be on the safe side
Old 03-16-2011 at 08:46 PM   #5
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krup92 View Post
hey just wandering, but considering the 1000 or so life sci students in level 1, why are the class sizes so small? where do you think all the others go?

btw thanks, those are the same ones im considersing, except the pharma one, instead ill but hon life sci just to be on the safe side
Those are just a few of the programs - things like H.Bio and H.Life Sci without a specialization are much larger (unlimited enrollment). Plus a lot of people get weeded out
Old 03-16-2011 at 08:48 PM   #6
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Well there's still chem, biochem, psych, enviro sci...etc etc .. and there are still a few bio programs I left out that I don't have info about.
Old 03-16-2011 at 08:52 PM   #7
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

For Psych and Biopsych, I think it's 7.2 and 7.7 or the other way around. I forgot.

They take about 30 people for both.

RememberTwce says thanks to justinsftw for this post.
Old 03-16-2011 at 09:42 PM   #8
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

Quote:
things like H.Bio and H.Life Sci without a specialization are much larger (unlimited enrollment).
thats true, but didnt he say above that hon. bio is only 80sih? what specialization is that with then?
Old 03-16-2011 at 09:52 PM   #9
justinsftw
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsftw View Post
For Psych and Biopsych, I think it's 7.2 and 7.7 or the other way around. I forgot.

They take about 30 people for both.
You should remove your "Thanks". I was wrong. It's actually about 50-60 people who are accepted, but 45-ish people actually choose to go in (I was thinking of Chem Bio for some reason when I said 30), according to a professor who came by today during the Live Lecture.

They are doing Psych in a different way next year. Instead of taking Psych course with everyone who is taking Psych electives, there are PNB courses specific for people majoring in Psych (or BioPsych, ISci Psych, ArtSciPsych, etc.). The course will be integrated, so the three mandatory 3-unit courses are pretty much one course with different parts happening at the same time, so they probably never have conflicts in due dates. He mentioned that it's because there wasn't much identity in being a Psych major before. They wouldn't have known who was in their program, but with the new system, he said that they would pretty much know all the department members and batch by the time they graduate.

RememberTwce, Watoko all say thanks to justinsftw for this post.
Old 03-16-2011 at 09:53 PM   #10
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by krup92 View Post
thats true, but didnt he say above that hon. bio is only 80sih? what specialization is that with then?
honours bio IS also limited enrollment... but programs like honours life sci is not... which is where i believe a majority of level 2 students get placed.
many also go on to some of the psych programs... enviro.. math.. chem.. etc.
Old 03-16-2011 at 09:54 PM   #11
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Quote:
You should remove your "Thanks". I was wrong. It's actually about 50-60 people who are accepted, but 45-ish people actually choose to go in (I was thinking of Chem Bio for some reason when I said 30), according to a professor who came by today during the Live Lecture.

They are doing Psych in a different way next year. Instead of taking Psych course with everyone who is taking Psych electives, there are PNB courses specific for people majoring in Psych (or BioPsych, ISci Psych, ArtSciPsych, etc.). The course will be integrated, so the three mandatory 3-unit courses are pretty much one course with different parts happening at the same time, so they probably never have conflicts in due dates. He mentioned that it's because there wasn't much identity in being a Psych major before. They wouldn't have known who was in their program, but with the new system, he said that they would pretty much know all the department members and batch by the time they graduate.
It's okay we all make mistakes
Old 03-16-2011 at 09:56 PM   #12
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Quote:

this means i might actually get a spot in some next year for my electives
by the time i got on solar all the ones i could possibly fit in my schedule were full
Old 03-16-2011 at 10:03 PM   #13
justinsftw
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftedchick View Post
this means i might actually get a spot in some next year for my electives
by the time i got on solar all the ones i could possibly fit in my schedule were full
You probably would've gotten a spot anyways, considering the only people choosing courses before you are 4th/5th year students, and I don't think they'll choose 2nd year Psych courses (or at least not many of them).
Old 03-17-2011 at 05:40 AM   #14
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Quote:
You probably would've gotten a spot anyways, considering the only people choosing courses before you are 4th/5th year students, and I don't think they'll choose 2nd year Psych courses (or at least not many of them).
You'd -think- that...

Psych's always ridic popular...even random 3rd year courses sometimes. The department has a good share of excellent and/or easy profs, plus it inherently interesting (talking about the brain, apply stuff like evolutionary theory to RL...)...

System sucks for me...unless are they fixing the system for majors with psych options too...which I doubt...

justinsftw says thanks to britb for this post.
Old 03-17-2011 at 06:13 AM   #15
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

is there any info on chem, chembio and biochem???