MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rogers or Bell? anthony Computers & Tech 44 08-03-2010 04:29 PM
TELUS OR ROGERS for Iphone 4? maryam17 Computers & Tech 29 07-31-2010 11:28 PM
Rogers LCA change --> oakville numbers Duarch Computers & Tech 34 12-15-2009 02:17 PM
Are you a Rogers Customer? kokosas MacInsiders Announcements 8 11-29-2008 03:04 PM

BlackBerry Plans With Rogers

Old 10-20-2010 at 11:50 PM   #1
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

BlackBerry Plans With Rogers
Hey Guys,

So after creeping Ebay with a $ limit for almost a year I finally got a 8300 series blackberry. Right now I have a basic voice+text plan with rogers without a binding handset contract. Aka I can use my own cellphone if I wish too.

I was wondering if anyone has and advice or recommendations for what package I should get for basic email, bbm & limited browsing?

I've been looking at this: http://your.rogers.com/business/wire...&cat =2&typ=2 But I'm not sure if the $15 plan does not have absolutely any data capabilities at all

There also is this: http://www.rogers.com/web/content/add-ons/valuepacks aka the $30 BB plan, however I already own a few features in there through my current plan(aka voice mail and caller ID)

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 10-20-2010 at 11:56 PM.
Old 10-20-2010 at 11:58 PM   #2
MacAttk

Liked: 38 Times

If you want JUST email & bbm with no browsing, then you should just get the $15 unlimited email & IM data add-on. If you're looking to do some browsing along with email and bbm, then you have to get the $25, 500MB data add-on. If you can live without any browsing or facebook, twitter, etc then just stick with the $15 plan. Otherwise I suggest getting the $25 plan. 500MB is plenty of data for email, bbm and limited browsing, especially on a blackberry. The $15 plan will not let you access anything besides what you subscribed to. So the browser wont work, etc so you don't need to be worried about being over charged.

huzaifa47 says thanks to MacAttk for this post.
Old 10-20-2010 at 11:59 PM   #3
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

Whats your budget? Im certain i should be able to find you something better than the 8330
Old 10-21-2010 at 12:01 AM   #4
MacAttk

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthsci1 View Post
Whats your budget? Im certain i should be able to find you something better than the 8330
I agree the 8300 series is a little outdated but still a reliable phone, IMO. Also, I think the OP already purchased the phone so I think it's too late for that.
Old 10-21-2010 at 12:01 AM   #5
Buszaj

Liked: 125 Times

I suggest one of the student plans, they are really popular with various providers. Most of them (including Rogers I believe) have 200 minutes, unlimited evenings and weekends, unlimited text, 500MB data (good for anything including surfing, BBM, email, facebook, etc), and some other feature that the provider throws in. I currently have this plan with another provider, and find it to be more than enough for my needs. It is a wee bit expensive, but I highly recommend it.
Old 10-21-2010 at 12:05 AM   #6
MacAttk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buszaj View Post
I suggest one of the student plans, they are really popular with various providers. Most of them (including Rogers I believe) have 200 minutes, unlimited evenings and weekends, unlimited text, 500MB data (good for anything including surfing, BBM, email, facebook, etc), and some other feature that the provider throws in. I currently have this plan with another provider, and find it to be more than enough for my needs. It is a wee bit expensive, but I highly recommend it.
If you read the fine print for any of the student plans from any carrier, it's only for renewals and new activations and I don't think the OP is willing to resign their contract just to get that plan (I def wouldnt)
Old 10-21-2010 at 12:21 AM   #7
Buszaj

Liked: 125 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAttk View Post
If you read the fine print for any of the student plans from any carrier, it's only for renewals and new activations and I don't think the OP is willing to resign their contract just to get that plan (I def wouldnt)

Hmm, I switched from a voice plan to a student BB plan on my carrier without any problems. Perhaps Rogers is different. I'd say the best way to find out is to give them a call (yay for being put on hold!)
Old 10-21-2010 at 12:22 AM   #8
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

any student plan requires a renewal of contract.
Old 10-21-2010 at 12:28 AM   #9
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buszaj View Post
Hmm, I switched from a voice plan to a student BB plan on my carrier without any problems. Perhaps Rogers is different. I'd say the best way to find out is to give them a call (yay for being put on hold!)
They sometimes don't tell you that they're renewing your plan. I remember before when I was with Bell (it was either Bell or Telus) I switched my plan around and then at the end I asked just out of curiosity when my plan was done and the person was like in 3 years, and I was like "huh?" so they had switched it but weren't planning on telling me unless I asked.

Old 10-21-2010 at 12:28 AM   #10
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Thanks MacAttack, I guess I'll do that. I can't switch out of rogers because I was "gifted" a basic voice/text package by my uncle so its technically not my "plan" to switch, however the data pacakge on my dime. I got my 8310 for $60ish cause Stuff at Kijjiji and Factory Direct was 150+ minimum for the same set.

Healthsci1, Hypothetically if I say I can get rid of my 8310 and my budget is a max $100 is there something better you can get me?

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 10-21-2010 at 10:30 AM   #11
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

1. Do you have internet, cable, or any other devices with rogers? If so, how many?
2. How long have you been with Rogers?
3. Do you wish to be on a contract? If so, you can get a bold, or a curve for less than $100 (Bold - $99 with $50 mail in rebate, Curve for $49)
4. Do you plan on using the "Browser"? or just Black Berry Messenger, MSN, Yahoo, etc.

Edit: Just read that you were gifted the voice/text plan. I'd go with the $25 data plan if you plan on browsing and everything else. $15 just for BBM and MSN/Mail.