MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
List your iphone/blackberry plans here! :) demelo_b Computers & Tech 1 08-04-2010 12:52 PM
Iphone/blackberry plans demelo_b Computers & Tech 14 07-01-2010 10:43 PM
Blackberry help..? Kathy2 Computers & Tech 16 03-22-2010 10:54 AM

Blackberry vs. iphone

Old 06-26-2010 at 05:55 PM   #46
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

WOW! The HTC looks amazing. i think ill have to reconsider the iPhone now
Old 06-26-2010 at 06:54 PM   #47
Cassanova

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaront View Post
I highly recommend Android, being far removed from the whole smartphone movement (I have a trusty Nokia 6300 dumbphone).

The new iPhone is nice. The issues they've been having with reception are set to be fixed by a software update on monday, and the yellowed screens go away after a few hours of use. However, being a software engineer, it costs me $99 to get on the App Store, without a viable alternative. And once I'm in the program, it's not 100% if I'd even make it to the App Store.
The dropped reception can't be fixed by a software update. Its a hardware problem. The antenna is positioned on the bottom of the phone. If you touch it there it disrupts the signal and the call is dropped. Steve Jobs said, "Don't hold the iPhone that way" as the only solution.
Old 06-27-2010 at 05:45 PM   #48
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Steve Jobs said to stay tuned for the antenna problem

Also that is easily solved by buying a case which you would like to buy anyways to protect the phone?
Old 06-27-2010 at 05:48 PM   #49
blackdragon
Elite Member

G4TV just did a review on the iPhone 4, and they said it wasnt a big issue at all. They showed them holding the phone, and it was fine. It was only when you used both hands and literally TRIED to block the antenna that it lost reception..
Old 06-27-2010 at 05:49 PM   #50
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
G4TV just did a review on the iPhone 4, and they said it wasnt a big issue at all. They showed them holding the phone, and it was fine. It was only when you used both hands and literally TRIED to block the antenna that it lost reception..
Couldn't your face also act like a second hand when you are talking to someone?
Old 06-27-2010 at 05:54 PM   #51
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Couldn't your face also act like a second hand when you are talking to someone?
Only if you have like a quadrupole chin that extends to the sides of your face :p.
Old 06-27-2010 at 06:04 PM   #52
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Only if you have like a quadrupole chin that extends to the sides of your face :p.
lmao, exactly.

You have to literally cover every inch of the iphone's back/top/bottom to lose reception... and even then, its probably just 1-2 bars, so you can still talk..
Old 06-27-2010 at 06:32 PM   #53
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Quote:
lmao, exactly.

You have to literally cover every inch of the iphone's back/top/bottom to lose reception... and even then, its probably just 1-2 bars, so you can still talk..
I see, that's good to know.
Old 06-27-2010 at 09:32 PM   #54
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

For now i dont seem to very keen on the Androids. There are a LOt of articles over the net about their apps and privacy.

http://mashable.com/2010/06/23/andro...rivacy-threat/ <--theres one and you can easily find more.

I would suggest sticking with either the Blackberry or iphone.

lorend says thanks to Crzyrio for this post.
Old 06-27-2010 at 09:41 PM   #55
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzyrio View Post
For now i dont seem to very keen on the Androids. There are a LOt of articles over the net about their apps and privacy.

http://mashable.com/2010/06/23/andro...rivacy-threat/ <--theres one and you can easily find more.

Do people actually store private information on their phones? I hardly care if someone knows things such as the contacts on my phone :p.

I gave up on internet privacy a long time ago... it's impossible. As long as nobody has access to my credit card/bank numbers (which is why I don't store them anywhere) I don't care.
Old 06-27-2010 at 10:01 PM   #56
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Do people actually store private information on their phones? I hardly care if someone knows things such as the contacts on my phone :p.

I gave up on internet privacy a long time ago... it's impossible. As long as nobody has access to my credit card/bank numbers (which is why I don't store them anywhere) I don't care.
so no paypal for you? dam, your missing out on buying stuff for cheap online
Old 06-27-2010 at 10:03 PM   #57
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
so no paypal for you? dam, your missing out on buying stuff for cheap online
Oh right, and paypal lol. Paypal is the only one I trust .
Old 06-28-2010 at 01:42 AM   #58
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzyrio View Post

There is essentially one negative study on Android apps that a bunch of places wrote about, that doesn't really amount to "a LOT" of articles, heck it doesn't even touch the number of articles mentioning the dye issues or reception issues with the iPhone 4 which are issues that are almost as inconsequential. The research is also written by a security firm and should be read for the sensationalism it is (i.e. They make money from people feeling insecure).

Most PC and Mac apps have near full access to your computer yet security issues there are relatively small (especially for Macs which, even though they're orders of magnitude more out there than android phones, are considered to small of a target for most hackers). On top of that, Google is perfectly capable of removing apps that are found to be dangerous from phones, they recently did that with an app that was thought to be a possible security threat.

Android phones in general are getting really good. I'd still probably give it another year before grabbing an Android, but they've already reached feature parity with the iPhone (i.e. Android Phones have basically all the features iPhones do) and have outdone the iPhone in quite a few ways (Maps on Android makes the iPhone's Maps App look hopelessly outdated). If they polish up their UI, improve their touch keyboard, and simplify/unify a few things about their apps/features I wouldn't be able to justify anyone choosing an iPhone over an Android.

lorend says thanks to Tailsnake for this post.

Ownaginatios likes this.
Old 06-28-2010 at 04:07 PM   #59
staceykinz
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 0 Times

I find the BB to be convenient as you have the full keyboard in front of you and it is not much different from a computer, in fact it's a minature computer. I agree with the statements that iphones seem to be for entertainment purposes, they are fabulous sources of entertainment but I'm not sure about anything else.. I don't know from experience. Good luck!
Old 06-28-2010 at 04:16 PM   #60
dani.garc

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Can't you just swap the sim cards?
WIND uses an AWS network so only specific phones using their network frequencies can be used. So no, you can't just swap the SIM card.