MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
List your iphone/blackberry plans here! :) demelo_b Computers & Tech 1 08-04-2010 12:52 PM
Blackberry vs. iphone lorend Computers & Tech 62 06-28-2010 07:28 PM
Rogers-iPhone-plans-anyeone work there maybe? Katia Computers & Tech 25 10-30-2009 11:40 PM

Iphone/blackberry plans

Old 06-27-2010 at 10:20 AM   #1
demelo_b

Liked: 14 Times

Iphone/blackberry plans
Hi guys,

Looking to buy a blackberry or iphone. If anyone could post the plans they have, which company its with, the price, and what it includes, that would be great.

Trying to find the best deal!

BTW... I live in hamilton
Old 06-27-2010 at 10:56 AM   #2
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Hmm. i think if you get it unlocked you can go with any plan :p
Old 06-27-2010 at 12:52 PM   #3
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

The best plan you can get anywhere right now is with Wind.

Wind
$60/Month

Unlimited Province-Wide long distance
Unlimited Text
Call Display/Call Waiting
500 MB Data

Rogers
Is about $60 for something similar (with like 300 min local, and 2500 text, or something like that), but they have cheaper blackberry plans if you only want email.

If you're dead set on an iPhone-like smartphone though, Order a Nexus One online and use it one wind, compared to an iPhone on a Rogers plan you'll save at least $10 and have a much better plan.
Old 06-27-2010 at 01:00 PM   #4
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I have a Samsung Hype. It's basically a Blackberry ripoff, but I love it. It as pretty much everything that a Blackberry has - just not as expensive. This is what it looks like:

http://i46.tinypic.com/vqgzyr.jpg

It costs $90. I'm with Rogers, on a $20 monthly pay-as-you-go "plan". I bought a $100 phone card and added it as soon as I got the phone - it automatically takes $20 each month and the phone card lasts for a year.

For $20, I get unlimited local calling from 3-7pm, unlimited internet, unlimited texting, call waiting, call display and voicemail (which only costs me airtime if I listen to a message - no monthly fee). There's another "plan" for $25 where you get more calling features.

The only difference is that it doesn't have BBM (Blackberry Messaging). Everything else is almost identical. I definately reccomend it!
Old 06-27-2010 at 01:02 PM   #5
marieeeeeee

Liked: 26 Times

I have a Blackberry contract with Fido and it is:

$25 for 200 minutes (unlimited evenings and weekends), unlimited texts
$25 for 500 MB data
$7 caller id

I actually got a free Blackberry Pearl but I use a Blackberry 9700 that I bought unlocked before I got my Fido contract
Old 06-28-2010 at 04:16 PM   #6
staceykinz
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 0 Times

I have a blackberry with bell and I pay 53$ a month, everything included, including an 8$ warranty that covers any damage, loss, theft, etc.

I have unlimited icnoming calling, free text messaging, my data package (which is 25$ right off the bat) free evening and weekends, BBM/ other apps, internet, caller id, voicemail, call waiting... prettymuch everything you need.. plus a certain number of daytime minutes (which are anytime during the day before 6 pm - which is when the free evenings kicks in)

look into student plans, bell offers mcmaster plans as well which are convenient
Old 06-30-2010 at 12:42 AM   #7
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

I have a Blackberry Curve 8520 with Rogers. The Plan is 50 dollars a month which includes unlimited texting (texts, e-mail, instant messaging, picture/video messaging), 200 minutes, evenings&weekengs, 500 MB data (which is actually a lot, I don't burn through it at all). The only problem is that call display is 8 dollars extra. I wanted to leave Rogers but was stuck on a contract. Bell seems to be your best bet these days if you want an iPhone or BB.
Old 06-30-2010 at 05:04 PM   #8
Willmountain
Master and Commander

Liked: 69 Times

The problem in my experience is you get what you pay for in Canada. Yes, you could go with Wind, but they have some real issues with coverage even in Home Zones, and of course they'll be ironed out in the future, but if you're dropping 60 bucks/month on Wind, you'll probably also have some roaming charges on top of that, and they REALLY nail you there.

I didn't go with Wind, but if they survive the next few years, then I'll think about it more. I stuck with Rogers/Fido because their coverage is by far the best. Bell just plain sucks. Yes, it may be cheaper, but I've heard of hidden fees out the anoos, which sucks. Telus is spotty. Not the best, not the worst, but they have some weird coverage issues, and it's pretty much as expensive as Rogers, but not nearly as flexible.

Don't get me wrong. I don't like paying 80 bucks a month for a phone, especially for what 80 bucks buys me. But you really get what you pay for (relatively speaking) in this country. Which sucks.
Old 06-30-2010 at 05:16 PM   #9
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

80 Bucks a month? Woah. You need to call them and threaten a cancellation to reduce that fee
Old 06-30-2010 at 05:20 PM   #10
Willmountain
Master and Commander

Liked: 69 Times

Well I'm on a smartphone plan, so 20 bucks of that is data haha, and I have long distance minutes. It adds up. As well, I pay out my rear end for call display. CALL DISPLAY!!!!
Old 07-01-2010 at 11:14 AM   #11
Mz.Morra13

I guess it depends on what you want included. I just saw a plan @ bell where, for $35 you get 150+50 bonus minutes, unlimited evenings/wknds starting @ 6, a choice from 1 of unlimited text (sent/received), local Fab5 (for $40/month you get nationwide), i think like unlimited incoming calls or something.. etc. Then you can add various black berry bundles..for $20 i think you can choose between unlimited isntant messaging (bbm, msn, yahoo msgr, and googletalk) and unlimited social networking, or unlimited instand messaging and unlimited email. For $30 you get that plus unlimited texting.
Old 07-01-2010 at 11:16 AM   #12
Mz.Morra13

Just search up rate plans on each provider's website
Old 07-01-2010 at 11:22 AM   #13
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz.Morra13 View Post
I guess it depends on what you want included. I just saw a plan @ bell where, for $35 you get 150+50 bonus minutes, unlimited evenings/wknds starting @ 6, a choice from 1 of unlimited text (sent/received), local Fab5 (for $40/month you get nationwide), i think like unlimited incoming calls or something.. etc. Then you can add various black berry bundles..for $20 i think you can choose between unlimited isntant messaging (bbm, msn, yahoo msgr, and googletalk) and unlimited social networking, or unlimited instand messaging and unlimited email. For $30 you get that plus unlimited texting.
I think that's cheap because it doesn't really have 'data' just access to those instant messaging and social networking sites. I'm still confused about that though haha, like, I don't know if you're able to browse other sites or not, or if the phone just has apps for all those things.

Rogers charges way too much for mundane things, especially like someone mentioned, freaking call display. I had call display & my10 before, and it was 20 dollars extra. I might as well go without that, and invest in long distance phone cards that are like 5 bucks.
Old 07-01-2010 at 11:40 AM   #14
Mz.Morra13

Yeah I thought it was a good deal too! I Think you get call display ncluded in the bundle too. but no not browsing...i cant go on the internet on my phone tis blocked :(.. but i don't really need it..email and msn is enough to keep me amused haha
Old 07-01-2010 at 10:43 PM   #15
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

I am actually quiet lucky, i have a summer job and they company offers affiliated phone plans which are quiet decent.

Voice & Data Plan
$40/month 5
• 250 anytime local minutes • Unlimited nights & weekend minutes (6pm –
7am) • Message Center, Call Waiting3 • Call Display, Conference Calling3 • Bell Mobility to Bell Mobility • 2500 T ext Messages4
• Includes 4 MB per month of email data transfer6 for use on the EVDO/HSPA/HSPA+ networks in Bell coverage areas,
Voice Plan
$20/month 5
• 250 anytime local minutes • Unlimited Nights & Weekend minutes
(6pm – 7am) • Message Center, Call Waiting3 • Call Display, Conference Calling3 • Bell Mobility to Bell Mobility • 2500 T ext Messages4

Sorry for the bad formatting, i copied and pasted.
Not sure if its possible but if you were to talk to bell do you think someone else might be able to sign up for a corporate plan?