MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
List your iphone/blackberry plans here! :) demelo_b Computers & Tech 1 08-04-2010 12:52 PM
Iphone/blackberry plans demelo_b Computers & Tech 14 07-01-2010 10:43 PM
Blackberry help..? Kathy2 Computers & Tech 16 03-22-2010 10:54 AM

Blackberry vs. iphone

Old 06-22-2010 at 08:15 PM   #1
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Blackberry vs. iphone
Sooo my current phone contract is over in about a month, and I plan on getting a smart phone of some sort.

I'm not really sure what I want, though.

The primary reason I want a smart phone is to check email: I will have a thesis supervisor, as well as students (I'll be a TA) emailing me, in addition to extra-curriculars and personal stuff.

I don't text all that often, and the phone will be my primary line. I'll be living in Ottawa, but I don't think that really matters...I'm not necessarily looking into a plan, but more into a phone.

What do you suggest and why?

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-22-2010 at 08:36 PM   #2
Cassanova

Liked: 30 Times

New iPhone is coming out in July.

I suggest a Blackberry. Its easy to type on, and efficient, more professional for your needs. Emailing on BB is much more friendly than on the iPhone.

iPhone is more for those who just want a whole lot of fun on their phone.

lorend says thanks to Cassanova for this post.
Old 06-22-2010 at 08:38 PM   #3
Sasha

Liked: 8 Times

For emailing, definetely blackberry. The only reason to get the iphone is for the aps. Speedwise and in terms of efficiency, blackberry is just awesome ^^

lorend says thanks to Sasha for this post.
Old 06-22-2010 at 08:50 PM   #4
dsahota

Liked: 83 Times

Any reason why an android based phone isn't an option? With some of the android phones you get a slide out keyboard for easy typing plus a largish touch screen. You also have a pretty wide variety of options, manufacturers using android include: Motorola, HTC, Samsung and soon to be Dell.

I'm planning to replace my HTC windows mobile phone with an Android based phone when my contract is up in September. Oh and whatever you do, don't get a windows mobile based phone .

.:callen:. likes this.
Old 06-22-2010 at 08:53 PM   #5
arkthegooner

Liked: 0 Times

I'd have to agree with everyone above. In my opinion, iPhones only have an edge over Blackberries in terms of entertainment lol. A Blackberry seems to fit your needs perfectly, and even if you don't get a data plan, you can still use hotspot browsing in Mac and other wi-fi areas, and you can also access hotmail and other mail servers (without data charges) if you get a good plan (maybe Bell?).

lorend says thanks to arkthegooner for this post.
Old 06-22-2010 at 09:11 PM   #6
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Buy an iPhone 3GS Unlocked from apple.ca and get any plan you want

lorend says thanks to blackdragon for this post.
Old 06-22-2010 at 09:20 PM   #7
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Between the iPhone and BB, the BB will be better for emailing... but you will miss out on apps, and everyone loves apps

lorend says thanks to Tailsnake for this post.
Old 06-22-2010 at 09:25 PM   #8
Ivan Q.

Liked: 10 Times

I have a couple friends who have iPhones, but they tend to use the apps more (like GPS, etc.). I never had one, so I can't speak from experience.

In terms of the Blackberry, I find it fairly easy to use (I mainly use the wifi). I have only had mine for 2 weeks though! Plus with the BB (with the exception of one model), you don't have to worry about touch screen response times when you're typing... I prefer feeling the button go down when I press it (IMO!!). Also I had some students in a tutorial I TA'ed use BB to e-mail me questions, so I assume it's working well for them =)

lorend says thanks to Ivan Q. for this post.
Old 06-22-2010 at 10:06 PM   #9
kunaltandan
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 4 Times

I don't agree with a lot of comments stating that Blackberry is "easier to use" or that it's email client is better than the iPhone's. Easier-wise, iPhone is definitely much easier and almost dumb-proof. Everything is more visual, bigger, and more pleasing; no pun intended. And the whole notion that it's only good if you have apps, well, that's a lie. The only apps I have are Facebook, Windows Live Messenger, and IMDB. Apps which you can get on the BB, as well. iPhone isn't just limited to it's apps. From my experience with both phones, the OS of the iPhone's is much faster and, honestly, much better looking than the Blackberry's.

Typing-wise, well, I used to love keys and now I love the virtual keyboard. It's easier, it doesn't wear out like the keys on manual phones do, so you don't have to worry about replacing or ruining them- which a lot of my friends have done. It's a matter of preference. I hated the virtual keyboard at first, but when I got used to it (and became much faster on it), I started to love it.

Email: Blackberry's email client is only better slightly because it's push service is better than Iphone's. But here's the catch: you gotta have a data plan on the Blackberry to use their email client, download FREE apps, etc. Whereas, on the iPhone, if you have the wifi, then you're all set. Plus, iPhone's organization with email is far better than that of Blackberry's.

Again, all of these are opinions from a (slightly) biased iPhone-fanatic.

lorend says thanks to kunaltandan for this post.
Old 06-22-2010 at 10:15 PM   #10
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

I suggest waiting, Blackberrys new OS is scheduled to be released soon. With it will come some amazing devices.

lorend says thanks to healthsci1 for this post.
Old 06-22-2010 at 10:23 PM   #11
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

I want to light my BB on fire. I hate the ****ing thing. I want an iPhone. As a few people on here know though, I'm a bit of an Apple fanboy. One of the guys I work with does professional web design (and is a McMaster Multimedia grad, gotta represent ), and he uses his iPhone to keep in touch with clients by email. If the Mail is good enough for someone that uses it for a living, it's good enough for a TA/student.

lorend says thanks to reeves for this post.
Old 06-22-2010 at 10:27 PM   #12
kunaltandan
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthsci1 View Post
I suggest waiting, Blackberrys new OS is scheduled to be released soon. With it will come some amazing devices.
It's funny your bring that up, because I've seen the new OS (on youtube and such) and it's looking a lot like the iPhone's OS, but with it's own classic (shitty) Blackberry design. LOL I hate BB so much haha.
Old 06-22-2010 at 10:27 PM   #13
kunaltandan
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
I want to light my BB on fire. I hate the ****ing thing. I want an iPhone. As a few people on here know though, I'm a bit of an Apple fanboy. One of the guys I work with does professional web design (and is a McMaster Multimedia grad, gotta represent ), and he uses his iPhone to keep in touch with clients by email. If the Mail is good enough for someone that uses it for a living, it's good enough for a TA/student.
Agreed
Old 06-22-2010 at 10:47 PM   #14
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

I personally wouldn't suggest a BB. BB is more for business as it has the security a lot of companies need that the iphone cant provide yet. I think that is the only thing it has on the iphone aside from the keyboard. There is always that misunderstanding about email when it comes to BBs

When it comes to your use. I would deff suggest the iphone. Like someone said it is idoiot proof. It is very easy to use and the new iOS comes with a unified mailbox.

The BB isnt to bad if you prefer it but ill warn ya there can be a slight learning curve when compared to he iphone.

The keyboard argument.... For everyone it is different, i suggest you go to a store and try it out. I personally prefer the touchscreen rather then the keys. The new iOS i believe also have spell check.

When it comes down to it the iphone wins unless you prefer a physical keyboard and need the high profile security. The BB is a just a phone and email client.

You can very easily do what the BB does on the iphone and a lot more.

And yes i know you can get apps and such for the BB but its to long a process and i assure you unless you have plenty of time and curious about it your not gonna get there. And out of the 20+ppl i know that have Blackberries i think only one actually uses the 'web browser' they have on there.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by Crzyrio : 06-22-2010 at 10:51 PM.

lorend says thanks to Crzyrio for this post.
Old 06-22-2010 at 10:51 PM   #15
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzyrio View Post
And yes i know you can get apps and such for the BB but its to long a process and i assure you unless you have plenty of time and curious about it your not gonna get there.
True dat. I tried to install something on my BB a while back, and I got caught in a hellish endless loop of license agreements and installation confirmations, and never got the damn thing installed. On my ipod, I touch the app I want, put in my password, and in a few seconds, its ready to go.