MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Physics profs? tamtams First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-09-2010 09:52 PM
Profs cwong First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 07-07-2010 07:22 PM
Do we get to pick our profs?? dlee First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 06-30-2010 11:46 AM
can anyone tell me about these profs? sj316 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 08-29-2008 10:52 AM

Books & Profs

Old 08-10-2008 at 03:07 PM   #1
Sync

Liked: 2 Times

Books & Profs
Who knows if the profs: Lozinski, Holmes & Behnke-Cook, actually use the books listed in Titles or do they usually recommend other textbooks?
Old 08-10-2008 at 04:09 PM   #2
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

From my experience, all of my profs use all of the required texts. I've never bought a recommended text because...
1. we don't use them
2. im not THAT rich
3. i dont have time to read extra books for fun
Old 08-10-2008 at 05:09 PM   #3
mitch
Elite Member

Liked: 75 Times

Yeah, I've never bought a recommended text either. The required books alone cost upwards of $1000 each year. I've realized over the years, not too buy even the required texts until school starts. It's tempting, because it's fun to get new books and open them up. However, half the time, professors use online notes and just recommend reading the textbook. So half the books I used to buy I never used.
Old 08-10-2008 at 06:33 PM   #4
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times

Lozinski and Holmes use the textbooks listed and ONLY those textbooks.

Old 08-10-2008 at 08:24 PM   #5
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

I have bought recommended texts but only once and it's because they're helpful for an English student. They are:
1. A Glossary of Literary Terms
2. A Literature Student's Survival Kit
3. Fit To Print: A Guide To Essays

Old 08-10-2008 at 10:04 PM   #6
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

i've brought recommended textbooks twice.
Once was cause i thought hte book was a really good reference book to learn from and provided alot of good informatoin.
The other time i brought one was cause i was having a lot of trouble in that class and really need a good reference to supplement what the professor was teaching. I brought it used so it wasn't too expensive. and i also didn't want to constantly to go the library to check it out from the course reserves.
Old 08-10-2008 at 10:22 PM   #7
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Oh there was one recommended text that I wanted to buy so BADLY but it was like 80.00 and if I don't HAVE to have it then... well I'd rather spend 80 bucks on something like... groceries.

Old 08-10-2008 at 10:53 PM   #8
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 10 Times

It depends. Say it's a class like French, and the recommended text is a French-English dictionary: yes, I would buy it.

But if it was a class like Political Science or Women's Studies.. I wouldn't buy them.

I have never bought a "recommended textbook". I don't think I ever will. It's not required for a reason
Old 08-10-2008 at 10:59 PM   #9
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

No, it's not required because it's not necessary for the average student but some might find it helpful for the class or later on. Recommended textbooks should be considered if you're struggling or if it's a book that sounds like it could be useful for your degree later on. If you're struggling for cash then consider your options wisely and try to buy used.