MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
average? :S wohoo First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 12-16-2011 02:13 AM
Average now vs later mfattal Academics 5 10-24-2011 04:40 PM
3.8 Average JakeWill Academics 7 06-04-2010 10:34 PM
4.0 average wonnamp Financial Aid 36 02-01-2010 01:11 AM
back to back classes? mandee08 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 36 08-20-2009 11:59 PM

Bouncing back from a low average.

Old 07-17-2012 at 12:08 PM   #16
Bug324

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanieee View Post
Well Mac has a fencing team I think

But also, I dont know what the acceptance/interview process is for grad school. But for jobs in general I know they like when you have some cool hobby.

I chatted with an HR rep from Canadian Tire Financial and she raved about this co-op student they hired and how it was a tough interview process but they were really impressed that he surfed in his spare time and went on to teach surfing at summer camp.

When I heard that I was like :O oh no I dont do anything in my spare time
We do have a fencing team; it makes for great stress relief, believe me.

We do beginner classes in the fall. PM me if you want more info.
Old 07-17-2012 at 02:57 PM   #17
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
When I heard that I was like :O oh no I dont do anything in my spare time
You can put "Macinsiders lurker" on your resume!

Chris23 likes this.
Old 07-17-2012 at 03:09 PM   #18
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
You can put "Macinsiders lurker" on your resume!
I havnet lurked in months! and now that im extremely bored at work (yes I work a full time monday-friday desk job) i find myself constantly on here :|
Old 07-17-2012 at 03:14 PM   #19
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
I havnet lurked in months! and now that im extremely bored at work (yes I work a full time monday-friday desk job) i find myself constantly on here :|
Just do what I do and read reddit.

Melanieee says thanks to Ownaginatios for this post.

Afzal, Mz.Morra13 like this.
Old 07-17-2012 at 05:01 PM   #20
haqsabre

Liked: 0 Times

There are med schools all over ontario that look at your full 4 year average. If it is an 10 (80%) your aiming for, along with being in life science, I assume you are looking into going to med school. There are med schools that only look at your top 2 years though and the ontario law schools look at two years also. I read it somewhere here at macinsiders that for med school, multiply your GPA by 10 and then add your MCAT scores, if they are at or above 65, then you are good to go.
Old 07-17-2012 at 05:36 PM   #21
aibu

With these marks I'd essentially given up on going to med school unless I applied after I did a masters or phd, in that case, they wouldn't be using my undergrad average would they?
Old 07-17-2012 at 05:37 PM   #22
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by aibu View Post
With these marks I'd essentially given up on going to med school unless I applied after I did a masters or phd, in that case, they wouldn't be using my undergrad average would they?
No, they'll still use your undergrad average because that's all they can really use when comparing you to other applicants. Some universities will give you a slight advantage if you've got a masters or phd, but many won't care at all.
Old 07-17-2012 at 05:46 PM   #23
aibu

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
No, they'll still use your undergrad average because that's all they can really use when comparing you to other applicants. Some universities will give you a slight advantage if you've got a masters or phd, but many won't care at all.
darn... Well, in that case I'm not really sure what to do. I don't want to go to med school out of province... But I really need to boost my marks.
Old 07-17-2012 at 05:50 PM   #24
mastercool

Liked: 22 Times

Have you thought about going overseas?

It really isn't as bad as it sounds...I personally know quite a few people in schools all over the country now (Britain, Oz, Ireland, etc) and they all love it.

You'll probably need somebody to co-sign you loans though, which could be a problem.
Old 07-17-2012 at 05:53 PM   #25
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 105 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by aibu View Post
darn... Well, in that case I'm not really sure what to do. I don't want to go to med school out of province... But I really need to boost my marks.
You can always get a second undergrad degree. Many Canadian med schools will only look at the marks from the second degree so as long as you do well you'll have a shot

Afzal likes this.
Old 07-17-2012 at 05:55 PM   #26
aibu

I'm not really sure I want to do a second degree. In the time it would take me to do that, I could do a masters and PhD. There's also nothing else I see myself doing a degree in.

and I'd absolutely rather not go over seas because the costs are tremendously high. Even with scholarships, I can't afford it.