MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SFAS Dropbox MajorPager General Discussion 1 09-15-2011 07:40 PM
Payment Dropbox!? help quickly luna First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 04-29-2011 03:15 PM
Backup Your Essays And Projects With Dropbox (FREE!) Chad MacInsiders Announcements 10 11-20-2010 11:51 PM
Backup Your Essays And Projects With Dropbox (FREE!) Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 11-16-2010 04:00 PM
Double credit for Dropbox users! Jayson193 Student Deals & Discounts 6 10-10-2010 03:17 PM

Box.net (Like Dropbox)

Old 10-13-2011 at 10:41 AM   #1
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

Box.net (Like Dropbox)
Hey guys, thought I'd let you know about this.

If you're an iOS user (iPhone/Pad/Pod) you can get 50 GB (yes fifty) from Box.net, which is basically like dropbox but yeah... 50GB.

Starts tomorrow, get the Box.net app and then signup or login to your Box.net account and they'll upgrade you to 50GB, and once its done, you can use it across everything (not just your iOS devices) i.e., your computers and stuff.

http://blog.box.net/2011/10/12/were-...orage-box50gb/

Later

Alchemist11, anonanon987, ikantsepll all say thanks to zango for this post.
Old 10-13-2011 at 12:03 PM   #2
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

This is awesome, but so many people use dropbox now that I can't see much of a reason for switching... Maybe I could use Box specifically to sync my music collection between my two computers.
Old 10-13-2011 at 12:41 PM   #3
zango
Elite Member

Yeah exactly, I'm planning to use it mostly for personal stuff, can do a lot with 50 GB.
Old 10-13-2011 at 01:27 PM   #4
gmoney

Liked: 21 Times

So I downloaded the app to my ipod and created an account, however it only gave me 5GB? Is there something specific I need to do to get the 50GB?
Old 10-13-2011 at 01:38 PM   #5
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by zango View Post
Yeah exactly, I'm planning to use it mostly for personal stuff, can do a lot with 50 GB.
Dropbox is already more than enough space for all my personal, school, and work documents, box.com isn't enough for my movies, so Music is all that it can really work for in my life.
Old 10-13-2011 at 03:34 PM   #6
Yogurt

Liked: 237 Times

The reason why Dropbox is so popular, and why I switched from Box.net to Dropbox, is its transparency and ease-of-use. There is no manual file handling and uploading involved. After the initial reorganization of your filesystem, there's absolutely no further effort on the user's part. Everything is still on the user's computer, ready to be opened and worked with as usual, as opposed to Box, where things are just stored online.

Box is really geared towards businesses and collaboration, or online storage, rather than active backup and storage, and it's strength lies only in working with documents. For those who already use Dropbox, they would rather use Google Docs (because it's more likely they already have a Google ID) to get the same functionality rather than creating a new account for Box. I still have my Box account after 2 years and I literally never touch it. It really doesn't appeal to me. And if it takes more than three clicks for me to share something, it isn't worth using.

50GB of storage is great, but the hassle of uploading those files and downloading them again when you need it (assuming they're not all documents) is enough for me to not bother. I'm only using about 20% of my 4GB of free storage on Dropbox, and that's for 4 years of school work plus a couple folders of photos. I'm definitely not going to store music and movies on there. It means I'll have to download them just to watch and listen to them, and backup on an external HDD is so cheap and more feasible.

Of course, I am by no means stating Box.net is useless. This is just my opinion. But seeing as both Dropbox and Google are already so popular, I don't think much people would take the effort to create a redundant account which may be more hassle to use, despite the extra storage.

Last edited by Yogurt : 10-13-2011 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-13-2011 at 03:50 PM   #7
zango
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoney View Post
So I downloaded the app to my ipod and created an account, however it only gave me 5GB? Is there something specific I need to do to get the 50GB?
It doesn't actually kick in until tomorrow.

And I have never even heard of Box.net so I'm no sure how exactly it works but yeah, was just letting people know about the promotion.
Old 10-14-2011 at 12:12 AM   #8
Rubicon

Liked: 9 Times

Unlimited accounts can be created from HP Touchpads for 50gb =]

Afzal likes this.
Old 10-14-2011 at 07:41 AM   #9
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Who likes HP Touchpads though O_O.
I could use 50 GB, thanks. :3
Old 10-15-2011 at 10:23 PM   #10
g.o.p.a.l
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 2 Times

Most people will jump on it due to the whole fifty GB space but once you use it for a week like me, you will see how useful dropbox was. The folder drag and drop on the desktop, the simple delete and upload they are all so neat and handy that box.net is not worth it due to that. It feels like a beta and I am not saying don't get it but just saying that just cause free space is coming don't give up or switch from something practically good and useful like dropbox.
Old 10-16-2011 at 03:25 AM   #11
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

50GB for life.

It can either get better from here...or just die out of overload.

Also, unlimited accounts from any iOS device. haha
Old 10-16-2011 at 10:02 AM   #12
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times

boo 100mb upload limit per file..
Old 10-16-2011 at 11:55 AM   #13
zango
Elite Member

You do know that you can keep dropbox and use Box.net for other stuff right? lol
Old 10-18-2011 at 07:42 PM   #14
Rubicon

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
Who likes HP Touchpads though O_O.
I could use 50 GB, thanks. :3
Who would say no to a sub 100 tablet?